More candids :)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I have posted a couple of these before, but as I have now amassed a collection, thought that I would post the images for all to see. I personally think that they could be better, but I don't have the confidence, or the time to work on building it up. Having said that, I think these are of an adequate standard for an amateur, and I hope to eventually improve over time.

Most of them were taken, 'shooting from the hip', others were framed less recklessly :).

The exif info should be intact throughout:

1. One guy picked out from the crowd, with a gradual desaturation towards the outside to emphasise him.
one%20in%20a%20million.jpg

2. Just a guy, chilling out on a bench, having a coffee.
coffee.jpg

3. A suspicious looking chap on his phone...
on%20the%20phone.jpg

4. A couple, both of whom I reckon would prefer to be elsewhere.
holding%20hands.jpg

5. Another guy picked from a crowd, walking around town.
wandering.jpg

6. Mmmmm, burgers...
burgers.jpg

7. Some striking shadows on the pavement of a dad and his boy.
shadows.jpg

8. Shopping.
shopping.jpg

9. An old woman, very obviously amused by her companion!
having%20a%20laugh.jpg

10. A headless man with a walking stick.
walking%20stick.jpg

11. Taking a break.
taking%20a%20break.jpg

Comments would be most appreciated :)

Kimmett

Teehee, double post!

Well, while I am here, I may as well say thanks for looking :)

Kimmett

Mucho better than your last lot. :thumb:

No 10 is very Cartier-Bresson! :cool:

Edit.

It's actually bloody brilliant! :clap:

you've done a nice job on the first shot desaturated enough to make me focus on him but not so much that its blatant that's what you've done :thumb:

A great improvement! My favourites:
#2 - looks like he's in a little world of his own
#4 - this picture speaks volumes..lol. Was there a nasty smell in the air? hehe
#10 - very well captured - I like the way the man's legs sort of mirror the shape of the 'A' boards
Thanks for sharing

the couple walking around, looking thoroughly cheesed off, speaks volumes!

good set, well done!!

Cheers guys :)

I have tried to take into account all of what you guys have said before, and I think that my photos have definately improved for it. It's good to know that some of you like them, you can be a tough crowd to please!

Now, get back to your usual selves, and tell me what is wrong with them, and what I could have done better :).

Ta

Kimmett

They area nice set dude,all well composed and exposed etc. you are obviously developing in the field, as it were. For me 7 and 10 stand out as being the strongest, number 6 is just hilarious, I think you could probably sell that one to the anti-fastfood lobby. 'Sponsored by Pukka Pies' Fantastic!

Some excellent shots there, as mentioned #10 is a great one - perfect the way you got the mans stride and the sandwich boards (works best because hes headless).

#4 is a good example of what some term a relationship

Also like #3 - you say hes looking suspicious (which I agree with), but I bet hes thinking exactly the same about you;)

Some excellent captures - only advice would be keep it up:thumb:

I like these as well Kimmett, I think you've improved from the last bunch you posted. #1,#4 and #10 are my favorites. The last one is very good though. Nice strong photo there.

Jewel :)

They're better then the last i saw, the thing that concerns me is that your not having much control of the composition because you're worried about people seeing you. Focus is also hit and miss because of it

I'd also try to think about what's interesting enough about a person make you to take their photo. It shouldn't be simply because they are stood in the middle of the street. There's little context to it, no real interest there.

Your confidence will come i promise you that. The great Robert frank often took shots from a bus and got some stunning results, you could try that

I would honestly use caution in the way you're shooting because you just might upset somebody. It's better to be open about it, but if you can't be right now, then make sure you study who you're shooting before you do it.

Like the MacDonalds one! Should be used in their next advertisement.

Warspite - you could then say that I am looking suspicious becasue I am suspiciously taking a photo of a guy who is looking suspicious. But then he could be looking suspicious because I am taking a photo, but I was taking the photo because he looked suspicious!

I've confused myself now.

Sean_Mcr - Do you actually walk up to people and have a chat, ask if you can take their photo etc.? Surely this makes them posed and stale. I had a browse of your site before, and have again now, and your humans gallery has some very good photos indeed, most definately not posed etc. What's your approach? You said before that you walk round them and stuff, but what if they aren't still?

Just looking for some insight :)

Kimmett

Not one person in my gallery was asked. Candid really means open and relaxed. I often spend time around subjects, they know i'm shooting. But when i shoot them, they dont know. I am quick of the draw now, that comes with practice

This guy has no clue i took his photo, and i was using a 50mm was sat facing him
http://www.pbase.com/sean_mcr/image/56041858

Be he knew i was taking shots of random things, and got used to what i was doing. I waited to see if something interesting happened, and it did, he was engrossed in it, and was oblivious to me shooting him. It's timing, that's all it really is

If they notice you, smile. You're not dong anything wrong, and once they've relaxed and got used to somebody with the gear we have being around (trust me they always do) them, you then have a chance of getting some shots

That makes a lot more sense now, so basically shoot around them so that they get over the initial 'oh a camera' expression! I shall have to try that sometime

Ta

Kimmett

well you never shoot them when they're going to notice. So you're never going to get that expression if you do it right. What you're going to avoid is any alarm if they see you

The very word Candid, pretty much means, open honest and frank. You'll fair better and get much more results if you get yourself around as many people as you can and just do what they do.

Street photography and candids are not really about shooting people with out them being noticed if truth be known. Look at people Like Robert Frank and Henri Cartier-Bresson. Masters in their art, did not just shoot people with out them knowing, they recorded the scene like photojournalists. it's said that Bresson is the father of photojournalism. Some of their greatest work involved people looking right in to the camera

Look at you subjects for candids, in the same way a documentary maker see's his subjects. It's true that sooner or later the subjects forget about the camera. It doesn't really matter if they know you're there. What's important is that they don't care

Back