More detail from a 650D than a 5Diii

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
Using the same 70-300 lens on both, if I crop the image between the same two points, I get better detail from the 650D

The difference is the effective length of the lens, 480mm vs 300mm.

I tried different apertures, shutter speeds and ISO, and tried RAW and JPEG.

I don't know why I was surprised, or if I should be surprised that it makes so much difference.

18mp vs 12mp 2012 vs 2005. The old 550 was pretty decent, I had a mate with one.

Sorry, my fault, didn't put the iii after the 5D :( But the 650D was correct :)

Just a quick 'fag packet' calculation

Total Pixels/Sensor Area gives

5Diii
22.3 Megapixels
36x24mm = 864mm^2

650D
18.5 Megapixels
22.3x14.9mm = 332mm^2

Pixel density for the 5Diii is 25810/mm^2
Pixel density for the 650D is 55678/mm^2

So the 650D has twice the number of pixels per square millimetre than the 5Diii. Presumably this make a difference when pixel peeping?

Last edited:
Just a quick 'fag packet' calculation

Total Pixels/Sensor Area gives

5Diii
22.3 Megapixels
36x24mm = 864mm^2

650D
18.5 Megapixels
22.3x14.9mm = 332mm^2

Pixel density for the 5Diii is 25810/mm^2
Pixel density for the 650D is 55678/mm^2

So the 650D has twice the number of pixels per square millimetre than the 5Diii. Presumably this make a difference when pixel peeping?
Yes, that is perfectly sensible.

What it means is I need to buy a Sigma 150-600 lens for the 5diii :)
But then would it give even better results on the 650D

Of course, once the light drops, the 5Diii is miles better, I waited for some sun to try it, next time it is dull I will do the same again, using the same speed and aperture.

The Canon 650D (a.k.a T4i in US) has 232 pixels per millimeter on sensor, while the 5DIII has only 160 pixels per millimeter.
So if the lens delivered resolution exceeded what the 5DIII could capture (in line-pairs per millimeter) the 650D would have more pixel resolution on the sensor to capture the added resolution. Nyquist limit puts 650D at resolving 116 line-pairs-per-millimeter vs. 80 for 5DIII

Last edited:
not surprised that you’re getting decent results from your 650D , I remember getting very nice shots from my even older 550D , some are framed on our wall but exposure had to be spot on

The Canon 650D (a.k.a T4i in US) has 232 pixels per millimeter on sensor, while the 5DIII has only 160 pixels per millimeter.
So if the lens delivered resolution exceeded what the 5DIII could capture (in line-pairs per millimeter) the 650D would have more pixel resolution on the sensor to capture the added resolution. Nyquist limit puts 650D at resolving 116 line-pairs-per-millimeter vs. 80 for 5DIII
Yes, looking again this morning with a clear head, it makes perfect sense.

Putting it in a picture

ros.jpg

650D is a great camera. It was my main camera for Butterfly pics, used 6d with ef 100Lis as well. I actually gave 650D to my Neice,s daughter as she was into photography. Unfortunately i missed it so much i bought the T4i and this ones a keeper. Mike.

650D is a great camera. It was my main camera for Butterfly pics, used 6d with ef 100Lis as well. I actually gave 650D to my Neice,s daughter as she was into photography. Unfortunately i missed it so much i bought the T4i and this ones a keeper. Mike.
Yes, it is good, and nice to use. It was the only one that has survived my departure from Canon.

More tests today mainly in poor light, confirm for shots that will be cropped, using the same lens, the 650 is better than the 5Diii, and the G9 with a 300mm lens is better still, and as you would expect the G9 with a 400mm lens is even better.
The G9 results would be even better in good light.

However, if there is no cropping, and the light is poor, the 5Diii is better than the others :)

Yes, it is good, and nice to use. It was the only one that has survived my departure from Canon.

More tests today mainly in poor light, confirm for shots that will be cropped, using the same lens, the 650 is better than the 5Diii, and the G9 with a 300mm lens is better still, and as you would expect the G9 with a 400mm lens is even better.
The G9 results would be even better in good light.

However, if there is no cropping, and the light is poor, the 5Diii is better than the others :)
My understanding is that the sensor sites on the 5Diii are physically larger than those on the 650D. For a given light level, a larger sensor receives more light energy, producing a stronger signal, requiring less amplification and thus making less noise than a smaller sensor. In good light, the smaller sensors can and do produce great results. In poor light, the larger sensors have an advantage especially where the composition makes use of the whole frame.

Back