More Flash questions

Batteries :D

You can fire it using an off camera cord, a 580ex flash or an ste2 remote trigger and keep the ETTL functionality, or use one o the cheaper triggers from Ebay and use it it in manual mode.

Something to stand it on and a wireless trigger. Radio triggers are the better option.

Actually I have a radio trigger I no longer need, you're welcome to that if you want it? Just PM me with your address if you do want it.

In order of expense:

An off shoe cord, which will retain the ETTL functionality (if you buy right one);
A third party wireless remote (but you will need to go manual);
Or a canon STe2 infrared remote release (which will keep full ettl functionality).

Thanks to Marks kind offer, i now have some more questions -

er how do you use manual flash?
What do i need to know?

Using the flash manually means you won't have the TTL metering. The 430EX has a manual mode that will give you adjustable output from full down to 1/64 power. Just put your camera on manual too and set your shutter speed to whatever you want to use for the effect your after (within your cameras flash shutter sync range) and the same for the aperture. Try taking shots at different flash power levels and you'll soon get to know roughly what power level you want for an image. Remember you can also change the distance from the flash to the subject to alter the strength of the light as well as the spread of light. Once you've got the flash close to what you want try adjusting the aperture/shutter speed and watch the effect it has. ;)

Then you can go on to trying different lighting effects with snoots, cookies and gobos. Lots of fun to be had! :LOL:

:LOL:

Funny names aren't they? They're all used to adapt the lighting from your flash.

A snoot is a tube that fits over the flash head with the other end open. This channels the flash light in to a small area. Often used for hairlighting in studio photography as well as many other things.

A cookie is something that you place in front of the flash to cast a shadow where the light falls. It's short for 'cookaloris' which is the technical name for it. It can be anything and different items can give you great effects.

A gobo is something that blocks light from one side of the flash head. Usually a piece of card or plastic attached to the side of the flash head to block light from hitting something in that direction. Say you were taking a sidelit portrait and wanted a black background - you could use a gobo on the side of the flash to keep the flash light from hitting the background.

:LOL:

Funny names aren't they? They're all used to adapt the lighting from your flash.

A snoot is a tube that fits over the flash head with the other end open. This channels the flash light in to a small area. Often used for hairlighting in studio photography as well as many other things.

A cookie is something that you place in front of the flash to cast a shadow where the light falls. It's short for 'cookaloris' which is the technical name for it. It can be anything and different items can give you great effects.

A gobo is something that blocks light from one side of the flash head. Usually a piece of card or plastic attached to the side of the flash head to block light from hitting something in that direction. Say you were taking a sidelit portrait and wanted a black background - you could use a gobo on the side of the flash to keep the flash light from hitting the background.

cool thanks Mark:)

Back