More flowers.

MattEg

TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
Took these in the garden on Monday when we had some sun.

I'm trying to improve my technique shooting flora.
Both taken using 44mm of extension tubes and ex580 with diffuser.

In this shot, I was attempting to capture the colour of the petals contrasting
against the green of the grass. I've kept the detail of the star shaped
stamens as the focal point.

MEP_C7E46610601.jpg

Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 90.0mm
Exposure Time: 1/200
Aperture: f/4.0
ISO equiv: 100

In this shot I wanted to capture the form of the flower (which isn't fully open).
I used a very shallow DoF, and with the use of the Ext. tubes made
the background very soft.
I can't wait for these to open fully, as they make a cracking subject backlit.

MEP_C7E46860601.jpg

Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 90.0mm
Exposure Time: 1/640
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv: 100

I'm absolutely loving the second one, the differential focusing is just my sort of style :thumb:

Love the second shot as well. Excellent shot!!! Not sure about the first one though. Something bothers my eyes. Not sure if it's the vibrant colour, the dof chosen here leaving the petals in front distracting, or the shadow cast on what is supposed to be the focal point? :ponders: Beautiful flowers. :)

cheers,

jules

I do find the blurred petals in the bottom foreground a bit distracting on the first image ...but I love the colours.
2nd Pic, Muscari Aucheri ... I have a garden full of those but I know I couldnt capture one quite like that!
Youve inspired me though so I may get out there with my little G5 and have a play tomorrow!

I dof my cap! Outstanding shots Matt. I wish I had the patience for this type of work as I luurve to look at them.

I like the contrasting colours in the first shot, and can see what you were trying to achieve, but as others have said, the OOF petals in the foreground are quite distracting - maybe worth shooting again?
The second shot is great :)

I think I disagree with the others - the sheer vibrancy of the colour of the first would make a good ikea - like poster whilst I am a little worried by the floating effect of the grape hyacinth and would like to see a little more distinct stalk to draw the eye in.

Grumpy old man as about to face gardenting under management orders!

Great shots, especially like the 2nd one, and nice bokeh too. :clap:
I've just got this lens, but have only had chance to use it a couple of time so far.
Rich

Back