Edit My Images
Yes

Duxford Spring Show 2013 by www.paulholtom.co.uk, on Flickr

A great day with many good displays, but the highlights for me were the Red Arrows and also a very good display from the Sabre.

Comments always welcome, and a few more on my Flickr site should you wish to see more.

Brilliant, you know what your doing!!! Lanc is outstanding and the Hurri is excellent too. Great colours. Being really picky, Bernie is right, little less shutter on the land.

Hi, Brilliant set of shots. (y)

I don't have an issue with taking shots from the field as I visit Duxford many times in a year and pay the entry fee, but when an airshow is on the light is not great inside.

If you could just spin the airfield round 180 degrees I would pay to go into every show.

I don't have an issue with taking shots from the field as I visit Duxford many times in a year and pay the entry fee, but when an airshow is on the light is not great inside.

If you could just spin the airfield round 180 degrees I would pay to go into every show.

Couldnt agree more :)

Shame they are from the naughty field

Well captured though
Tell us why it is a shame they were taken from the field??? as a photographer it is his job to try and get the best images possible from wherever that maybe

I dont understand how it is naughty - the simple fact is that at Duxford the best images by a country mile come from the opposite side

1, 2 and 6 for me. Great set though :) I might have a look in the 'naughty field' next time I'm at Duxford, looks far superior. I'd still go over and pay entry though.

Nice set of photos you have there. The Hurricane's new paint scheme is fantastic.

The problem with the naughty field is far from the ticket price not being paid. It is primarily a safety issue for both you and the pilots.

The problem with the naughty field is far from the ticket price not being paid. It is primarily a safety issue for both you and the pilots.

That's purely the party line from the IWM

The safety issue keeps popping up, but if these old warbirds are so unsafe why are they flying? Its more to do with the lost revenue that Duxford looses out on, but on the other hand Duxford Primary School benefits enormously with new equipment. I was talking to one of the guys doing the BBQ on Sunday, he was saying that since they started letting cars park on the school field for the airshows the children have not had to pay for a school trip. When was the last time the IWM payed for kids to visit their museums?.....

Personally I would rather give my money to the school than the IWM! besides shooting into the sun is rubbish!

The biggest gripe I recon is that those in the naughty field are getting top class shots and those on the IWM side are not, so they will make up any old excuse for covering there own jealousy!

I have to be honest and say that Sunday just gone was my first time in the field, every other time I have paid the IWM, but I wont again not ever, everybody who wines about folks in the field should try it just once, they will soon change there mind!!

Last edited:
I think its an issue that will continue to roll on and on, and its quite tiresome, especially when someone puts their pictures up to be critiqued not 'poo pooed' because of where they were taken.

On a separate note, can you still get access to all the fields?

A great set of sharp images. My favourite from the bunch is No.2. Love the older jets, especially the Sabre. Never been to Duxford but if I do ever go I will be naughty if that's the kind of images you can get...

Nice little set there Paul, the Lancaster is my personal favourite.
Have the Red Arrows had a re-paint now as well? I'm sure they had jubilee decorated under carriages when I saw them last year.

That's purely the party line from the IWM

The safety issue keeps popping up, but if these old warbirds are so unsafe why are they flying? Its more to do with the lost revenue that Duxford looses out on, but on the other hand Duxford Primary School benefits enormously with new equipment. I was talking to one of the guys doing the BBQ on Sunday, he was saying that since they started letting cars park on the school field for the airshows the children have not had to pay for a school trip. When was the last time the IWM payed for kids to visit their museums?.....

Personally I would rather give my money to the school than the IWM! besides shooting into the sun is rubbish!

The biggest gripe I recon is that those in the naughty field are getting top class shots and those on the IWM side are not, so they will make up any old excuse for covering there own jealousy!

I have to be honest and say that Sunday just gone was my first time in the field, every other time I have paid the IWM, but I wont again not ever, everybody who wines about folks in the field should try it just once, they will soon change there mind!!

I am sorry but it is quite obvious that you are oblivious to the dangers of A) air displays and B) warbirds.

I am a pilot and it the thought of crash landing in a populated area scares me every time I fly. As a pilot you are constantly thinking what IF

Not long ago in France a pilot died as his emergency landing area was covered in spectators and he had to crash into some trees to avoid them.

That was a needless loss

That is why I hate the naughty field. I dont care about "lost revenue" as a good number of the people there like the OP pay to go in at other times.

I care about a needless loss of life, either on the ground or from a pilot.

In 2011 we lost BBD out there, what would have happened if that collision happened 30-45 seconds later and it crashed in the said naughty fields and killed aload of spectators.... ?

Apologies to the OP for off topic

Peter I fully understand you are scared of a crash Landing - but this subject is one I like to take an interest in... I am first and foremost a photographer and as such will go where I can get the best images I can possibly get
I go to more airshows bases and airports than the average photographer and go to where ever the best opportunities are (inside or out) usually both!!!

meaning if the best place is inside I will go inside - most times I do both as the sun comes round
RAF Waddington as an example looking directly into the Sun til 13.30pm so I pay go in then promptly walk outside till after lunch when the Sun comes round
the same at Duford spend the morning inside then go to the other side for the best picture ops

moving onto the safety aspect I have spent many long hours trying to get some stats as to where is the safest place to go at an Airshow and the safest place statistically is away from the crowd... examples are Reno Paris Moscow Berlin just a few where the aircraft has crashed into the crowd... try find how many members of the public have died outside at airshows in the last 14 years and I can find one incident with one fatality as opposed to hundreds killed in the crowd

so I am sorry all this stuff about it being a safety issue just does not cut it for me and I do not spend over 20 grand on Photo equipment to then take 2nd rate pics that are heavily backlit

one day no doubt some one will be killed or injured - but I thinks spectators at a Car Rally stand a far bigger chance of injury that stood out side the 'official' spectator area at an airshow - and that is why I will go anywhere where I dont endanger anyone else but my self to get the best pictures I can possibly get and that applies to any sport

every airport and airbase in the UK is pretty much surrounded by roads and public footpaths so are the people using them not running the same risk as people at the so called naughty field (nothing naughty about it) at Duxford the best images in the main come from outside the airfield

and that is why I will go anywhere where I dont endanger anyone else but my self

This is the point - you are doing precisely that - endangering the life of the pilots by removing a good option in the event of an emergency.

I don't work for Duxford - but some of the display pilots are my friends and I would hate to see them killed because they were unable to ditch into a safe field due to trespassing spectators who rather selfishly are more interested in getting some better shots. Not to mention because of people not remotely interested in taking photos having a picnic on the boundary with their kids kicking footballs about (which I saw one year - unbelievable).

Incidentally - I get great shots from the safer side of the airfield - the light is a weak argument in my opinion.

When the Skyraider collided with BBD a couple of years ago it was pretty fortunate it didn't go in (definitely a touch and go thing) and had it of done it would have been into that field - fortunately he brought it out of the dive it entered.

You should re-check your stats by filtering out non UK shows for the safest place to stand when you're in the UK (fair enough if that is the case for shows elsewhere). The difference in rules and regs in place in the UK mean you're just polluting the numbers with poor incomparable data points.

The safest place argument just does not wash... take Waddington Coningsby Leuchars all surrounded by roads most of them A roads
on show day at Waddington the road is jam packed solid with traffic that cannot get in as the place is full - the result is the road is gridlocked with cars sat nose to tail till lunch time

and as such with your argument they are in just as much danger as the guy stood next to them with a camera

and as for me endangering the pilot that is just rubbish - with your argument the cars on the road must also be endangering the pilots which is clearly not the case

and you also say you get great shots from inside the barrier - if your happy with the bulk of your images being backlit that is your choice... try selling your backlit images via an agency and see how far you get
and another point is I attend many airshows both in the UK and overseas and please tell me why the organizers give press pass holders a bus ride round to the other side to get there pictures RAf Waddington RAF Leuchars are just 2 examples of this - if it was as dangerous as you make out - I am pretty sure they would not be taking the press round the other side for the pictures - so I guess they must be endandering the pilots as well then eh!!

and many European Airshows do the same - any event that has fast action and powered vehicles has some sort of risk, and far more people are injured in other events than at Airshows - the shows & CAA and pilots would be better spending more time chasing pilots who dont read the NOTAMS and others who break the rules continually and breifing them on safety aspects rather than continually moaning at photographers who are trying to do the best they can getting the best images they can
must also add that RAF Waddington actually take open top bus rides to the other side (Charging them a fee) to see the delights of the other side - so how does that stack up with your view that it is a danger to the pilots?
Duxford has its firemen and fire engines sat next to the runway all day - add to that that the farm is a working farm College which has nothing to do with Duxford and has many students there and as such work does not stop for the Duxford events.. so tell me are they in the wrong as well

Back