More Gemma: High Fashion

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Hi all who visit.

Gemma popped into the studio to begin her study with me on photography ... at 16 years of age she is showing a keen interest in modelling, and photography in general. In fact she has a damn good idea of fashion, and a keen sense of style, and attitude / pose.

What you think ??? We burst of 60 frames in under 10 minutes as we were leaving her first shoot. Meaning that she was shooting a client as a lesson. This was shot as an after thought !!

Gemma01.jpg

Gemma02.jpg

Gemma03.jpg

Gemma04.jpg

Gemma05.jpg

Gemma06.jpg

Enjoy, your comments on this set are especially welcomed.

imo the 5th of this set is my fav.. real sense of fun . the lady looks happy and relaxed which shows in the shot..

imho

md(y)

Not the side of photography I like, Im more motorsport and wildlife (or try to be).
But for what its worth I really like these, nice lighting and poses.

I'm no expert, but the lighting looks good, and the model seems to have that natural look in front of the camera. I also like #5, but the others work just as well IMO. :)

Great set. No.5 is the obvious stand out shot. But I think the others work well too, especially the ones shot from a height. It just shows a different style from the norm that appeals to me.

Not a fan of the up the nose shots, but the others are ok. Was it your intension to go for a slightly flat lighting style? The face is nicely filled in, which is good.

To me number 2 is by far the strongest photo of the lot.

#5 for me also! (y)

Nice set, B&W not flattering.
Number 5 the Cracker seams like a totally diffrent person

Hey ... too many to comment individually on these so I will answer in general.

This was an interesting shoot since Gemma was actually shooting in the studio this night, and we had some card space left, so when the client and the kids left, I took the 5D, and used one softbox only to model right, and fired off 60 shots, then went home ... 10 minutes was all it took. No prep, no makeup, just how she arrived at the studio.

Here is where the photography profession / hobby comes into its own. I try to get out the "normal" way of shooting and going for something different, and you will often see this when I post as time goes on. The shots with the nose are what I think are the best of this bunch and this is because it goes against all the "rules" something that I dont follow well ...lol

The black and white last photo is the one that I personally feel is the best of the bunch ... but thought woudl open up an interesting debate on what is aesthetically pleasing to the eye ... and I guess generally this is not the correct way to do things, but from a fashion shot point of view I think it does.

Again all ... many thanks, lets see where this takes us from here.

Oh should have also said, that even though I dont crop my images, I moved in closer during the posing of image 3 to get this one.

Was it your intension to go for a slightly flat lighting style? The face is nicely filled in, which is good.

Hiya, sorry missed this and thought it deserved to be answered individually. I dont understand what the term of flat lighting means ... I have heard it many times, but dont fully understand the concept of flat lighting, can you help me to understand it so I can improve it?

Thanks Franchise :help:

Am I the only one that doesn't like #5?

The pose and lighting are good but I think the scarf doesn't work well and draws the eyes away...

The black and white last photo is the one that I personally feel is the best of the bunch

I agree with you. I like the other black and white one as well. The others, while I can't comment technically (they look fine), she looks straight out of an 80's teen movie. Fashion nowadays huh? Does nothing for me.

But yes, I like the last shot.

Hiya, sorry missed this and thought it deserved to be answered individually. I dont understand what the term of flat lighting means ... I have heard it many times, but dont fully understand the concept of flat lighting, can you help me to understand it so I can improve it?

Thanks Franchise :help:

Flat lighting means exactly that. If you light everything from in front of the model, then all the shadows will be filled in, but they will blend into the background.

To lift the model from the background you need lights from the side or behind, or even above the model. These can be kickers, or hair lights, or even background lights.

There are situations where you can get non-flat lighting with only lights from the front, for example with a ring light, but these are special effects.

Back