Beginner More images of Blyth?!?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I have seen a few images of Blyth pier on here so thought I'd jump on the bandwagon as it were and post a couple of image I took last year:

I used an 'Old Polar' preset in LR which gave the image the purple tint which I'm sure quite a lot of people won't like, but I really liked it (at the time, anyway).

Rob.

Oh, and I'm aware the horizon is off on the second image, I have fixed that now ;)

I prefer the landscape orientation in th second and I'm ok with the processing. You're aware of th horizon issues.

I've seen a good few Blythe series on here. I reckon I need to have my own take on it one day

I like both, but if pressed on the matter, I'm going to say I like the portrait one. Here's why (just my opinion, etc, this is what it does for me, your mileage may vary)

The compression of the scene into a vertically-oriented space exaggerates the sense of distance, giving the picture more impact. There's less distraction at the side and my eye is strongly drawn to the vanishing point. The cloud details are subtle but just enough to add interest without taking attention away from the main subject. With such understated colour it would have been tempting to convert this to black and white, but I think it's better in colour; you've chosen a preset that works well.

I also really like the bit of wood (technical term) in the foreground; it adds a welcome contrast to the converging lines of the pier.

Great shots, both.

Thank you all for the comments.

Peter - Thanks for taking the time to write the more detailed critique, I appreciate it.

Rob,

I prefer the Landscape version due to the rails having a lead in effect but the first one maybe improved by having slightly more pier and less sky and have more of a "Rule of thirds"

Hi Peter,

Your point about the "Rule of Thirds" is well taken, I had the same debate with an ex-colleague of mine who made the same point. Following our discussion, I did make a cropped version of the portrait image which followed that line of thought:

Rob.

Back