More Night time Newcastle quayside long exposures!

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out again last night to newcastle quayside, i've been asked to make a panoramic style image for someone to go onto a canvas. He wants it 32"/36" x 12" depending on what looks best. After taking the pictures for the canvas (i've done 3 for him to choose from) i decided to have a drive upto the high level bridge to take some pictures back towards the quayside incorporating the tyne bridge and also the millenium bridge. i think they've turned out nicely and really only needed minimal PP (a little sharperning and straightening and perspective correction)

The river was really really calm giving some amazing reflections and there was a little movement in the clouds which was nice for the long exposures.

most were taken @ ISO100, F11, exposure time of 45/55 seconds.

anyways here's the pictures, the first 3 are the choices for the panoramic. I would of course like everyones opinions.

the others are from the high level.

1 - 36" x 12"

2 - 32" x 12"

3 - 32" x 12"

4 - from the millenium bridge.

5 - from the high level bridge

6 - from the high level bridge - with some light trails :)

I like these no. 6 is my favourite. I have a trip to newcastle a few days before xmas i hope the weather is nice :).

For what it is worth I think number 1 (for the canvas?) is the best. I also like number 6 with the light trails. Gives a nice feel of movement. Great set from a great location. Nice to see a local on here too. Must try again to get some more night time shots of the toon

They are really nice, crisp, good comp's and well lit - good work

They are a little 'samey' though. More detail in the sky as you have in No5 would help them, or perhaps try shooting a touch earlier..

I like the whiter WB in No1 best too

1 best, 9 because of all 3 bridges and 5 (if cropped more) imho. All great though.

If I was going to put one on canvas it would be number 1. Excellent set of photos and a place I regularly visit. Agree about the light trails and a few more going away from you. Are they taken over the Central Motorway ??

winky said:
If I was going to put one on canvas it would be number 1. Excellent set of photos and a place I regularly visit. Agree about the light trails and a few more going away from you. Are they taken over the Central Motorway ??

Nah the light trails one was on the coast road at the crosslings junction, that one was a snatch and grab to see if I liked doing the light trails thing!

Brilliant photos. Would love No1 for my wall. Imagine if the Tuxedo Princess had still been docked there though!

The Big Yin said:
Brilliant photos. Would love No1 for my wall. Imagine if the Tuxedo Princess had still been docked there though!

Haha that would undoubtably of made all these shots inferior. So pleased that floating cess (wrong spelling I know) pit is long gone.

These are superb, and Newcastle is a great place to photograph (another from Newcastle but currently residing down in Teesside). Did you have any difficulties with movement (bounce) when shooting from on the Millenium Bridge?

I must make the effort to get over one night from Felling after work.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:
Haha that would undoubtably of made all these shots inferior. So pleased that floating cess (wrong spelling I know) pit is long gone.
You'll get no argument from me that the place was an eyesore. However I have many happy memories from night's out in the place.

Cheers guys :) bigyin, they are available to buy. I can do a print or get a canvas done of that image for you if you want one, just drop me a pm :)

Nick I would love a canvas print if it. I just have nowhere to put it just now :-(

I really love shots like these but being a numpty sports photographer, how on earth do you do them, are the pano ones stitched or just cropped

srhmoto said:
These are superb, and Newcastle is a great place to photograph (another from Newcastle but currently residing down in Teesside). Did you have any difficulties with movement (bounce) when shooting from on the Millenium Bridge?

Nah not really, there wasn't really many people about and it wasnt too windy so luckily it was fairly still, there was a bit of movement but not enough to affect them :)

Back