More of this weeks Amateure RL

wow just noticed how oversharpened/noisy image 2 is, not sure if this is flikr compressing the file as im at work on a crappy screen. whoops!
Pretty sure thats my heavy hand on LR :)

1 good but needs a landscape crop and levelling a touch

2 Bin it, its OOF, focal plane is clearly behind the main action, check the grass.

3 Decent, tighter crop on the right maybe

4 wheres thwe ball

5 best of the bunch but not peak action, 2 frames before would have been better, straighten a little

6 Why the conversion????

Youre certainally getting better at this RL lark Tom

n1 gary :).

no idea why i converted no 6. fancied a bit of a play. I guess as im not commissioned for anything as of yet then i can play about a bit :)

there are the few frames before 6 that i PP'd. thats something i need to brush up on, when i have 4/5 consecutive frames and picking the right ones to PP.

thanks for the crit, cant wait for my kenko 1.4 to arrive at christmas as i feel a bit lonesome sometimes when the action that little bit too far for the D300's AF to bother with. (end up with 600 oof shots to sift and delete because subjects are too small in frame)

I really have felt ive learned something from each game ive shot so far and each time i think i did a bit better than the time before :)

out of interest what rules of thumb do you use when straightening pics? and what tools/techniques do you use? i take it you use LR?

I use Elements Tom, i just look for a vertical to use as a reference point for straightening

You probably picked the best frame looking at the other 2, Do you use a battery grip Tom as the increased 8fps will help no end.

yeah ive got the battery grip but only one battery atm :p so its no use whatsoever apart from easier portrait shots :D and gives the camera that better feel to it.

I got quite a bit on the "wishlist" but it'll take a while to get things accumulated. But as with everyone, there's a lot of stuff that has to come before another battery/converter unfortunatly.

Ive never used elements, how is it for workflow? thats what i love about lightroom, you can upload them all at once, and work through them methodicly and apply batch processing easily on similar shots.
Is elements like a simplified PS?

t

Is elements like a simplified PS?

t
Its exactly that Tom, i tried lightroom and didnt get on with it but i think its more to do with me being an old dog and not willing to change rather than the software isnt any good.

Elements along with XNview for the custom sized thumbnails allows me to do everything i want, i can upload everything shot during the first half, browse with Xnview, open required photos in Elements, crop, rotate adjust if needed then import a pre written XMP file with all that particular games meta data already on it and finally caption the photo, save it and send to email or FTP, all during the half time interval.

some good stuff there.

Tobers uses LR Tom, his web site has some good info on it.

I use LR too. 1 program for every thing.
load in library mode, caption, rate, hit 'r' will take you straight to 'crop' in Develop mode. like Gary, verticals, or major horizontal line.tweak, then export to a folder that ftp aways.

Lightroom is excellent, an all in one package, though a lot of snappers use Photo Mechanic instead as it's probably better for captioning. Make sure you check out John Kirkpatrick's excellent 'auto copy' utility: http://www.tilebarn.com/lightroom/index.php - Let's you lock your best pics in camera, then have them automatically transferred over when you connect your memory card. Can't tell you how much time it's saved me on the sidelines during and after the match. Appreciate you may not be in as much of a hurry but it's still worth looking into.

I like 4, having the ball in shot isn't an unbreakable rule. If it adds to the full set from a match, go for it. But as Gary says, 1 needs a landscape crop, and 3 needs tightening, get rid of the space on the right. But generally really good pics, well done mate

Back