More practice with the Camcorder

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
I am still getting to grips using a camcorder and what better subject (for me) that is than the Little owl.
March is a time when the birds are paired up and the Male will become active from is winter survival mode.
I have taken advantage of the extra hour of daylight and had a go at getting some footage of the Owl, although i have now got a extra couple of bags to carry with its getting hard work especialy walking through a mud bath ,however the last few nights i have been seeing the bird come in around 7.45 and were i wouldnt even attempt shots with my camera, but being the impatient person i am i set up the video equipment as quick as i could, as it can take the bird a good hour to return if i spend to long and at dusk and thats just no good as its pitch black when he returns ...and i like to arrive before they come out and leave when they are done ,but its early days at the moment
Footage i know is not great but it was taken at 7.45 and i am realy impressed with it ,for now..
I used my 500mm f4 with a metabones adapter which takes it to 2.8 and the footage was taken wide open,i used gain (iso)1600 with manual focus,AF wont work .
I also realised after a sec or two that IS works and you can see the point were i realised and switched it on ,all good practice ,also i am using a benro s4 head were i reckon with the 500mm i could do with a S4 or a some kind of lens support ...
On the PP side i am using Prem elements 15 and just doing a few tweaks but to be honest this is straight out of camera apart from lightening,cropping in from left and right a touch to remove the vigneting and a slight tint to remove a touch of blue

View: https://youtu.be/Aud0PDnpoxI

Last edited:
I am still getting to grips using a camcorder and what better subject (for me) that is than the Little owl.
March is a time when the birds are paired up and the Male will become active from is winter survival mode.
I have taken advantage of the extra hour of daylight and had a go at getting some footage of the Owl, although i have now got a extra couple of bags to carry with its getting hard work especialy walking through a mud bath ,however the last few nights i have been seeing the bird come in around 7.45 and were i wouldnt even attempt shots with my camera, but being the impatient person i am i set up the video equipment as quick as i could, as it can take the bird a good hour to return if i spend to long and at dusk and thats just no good as its pitch black when he returns ...and i like to arrive before they come out and leave when they are done ,but its early days at the moment
Footage i know is not great but it was taken at 7.45 and i am realy impressed with it ,for now..
I used my 500mm f4 with a metabones adapter which takes it to 2.8 and the footage was taken wide open,i used gain (iso)1600 with manual focus,AF wont work .
I also realised after a sec or two that IS works and you can see the point were i realised and switched it on ,all good practice ,also i am using a benro s4 head were i reckon with the 500mm i could do with a S4 or a some kind of lens support ...
On the PP side i am using Prem elements 15 and just doing a few tweaks but to be honest this is straight out of camera apart from lightening,cropping in from left and right a touch to remove the vigneting and a slight tint to remove a touch of blue

View: https://youtu.be/Aud0PDnpoxI

Very good Den. I know what you mean regarding discarding the DLSR in favour of the video camera later in the evening. It really does handle the situation a lot better. Going to check on some Barn Owls this evening. And, see how the Kestrels are doing. Will take the video camera down too.

One thing I wondered - where you are using your 500mm F4, can you still zoom at all? i.e. With a built-in digital zoom on the camera possibly? Or are you literally stuck with the prime lens' only focal length?

Very good Den. I know what you mean regarding discarding the DLSR in favour of the video camera later in the evening. It really does handle the situation a lot better. Going to check on some Barn Owls this evening. And, see how the Kestrels are doing. Will take the video camera down too.

One thing I wondered - where you are using your 500mm F4, can you still zoom at all? i.e. With a built-in digital zoom on the camera possibly? Or are you literally stuck with the prime lens' only focal length?
Stuck at 500mm no zoom option,only zoom i have is the sony 70-200 power zoom ,i may try and get a used 100-400 mki ,again manual focus only ..
The only other options are the e mount sony 100-400 or a alpha 70-400 with the lea-e2 adapter ,quite an expensive outlay

Back