More Recent Stag Photos

Edit My Images
No
Been trying to get to grips with this 55-250is II on my 600D and not having a lot of joy. I had been following this fellow since the start of the year until he went awol in July, this was my first chance to get him with this new lens.

Taken in two different locations under changing light, Raw converted in CS6 to salvage what I could.

stag6402.jpg

stag6401.jpg

stag6403.jpg

Been through all the f-stops and focal lengths but still can't say I'm happy with the results. Anyone care to comment?

I think you've got great texture on the velvet in Number2, and I'd crop even higher myself.

In Number 1 you seem a bit tall, do you have any from the same set from a lower angle?

I'm no expert on wildlife shots but you need to shoot wider than f8 to blur the background and make the fellow stand out more.
Shoot at the widest you can witch if I remember correctly is f5.6 @ 250mm.

@ Ulfric M Douglas - I was looking through some bushes as he was heading up towards me, I wouldn't have gained much by being lower as the land fell away from where I was standing, plus I was standing amongst nettles at the time. I do have a few dozen more of him from the other day but nothing that I class as good enough to post.

@ Rico - I hear you loud and clear on the d.o.f issue, my copy at 5.6 is poor at the centre and abysmal at the edges hence the stopping down to try and get something reasonable.

Thanks for the comments

Barso with enough determination to hunt through nettles after this beast you could justify buying a lens that's up to your standards, or are they thousands? (Long lenses aren't my thing) ... or are the better ones just too massive?

Barso with enough determination to hunt through nettles after this beast you could justify buying a lens that's up to your standards, or are they thousands? (Long lenses aren't my thing) ... or are the better ones just too massive?

I think that may the way to go sometime in the future, for now though I'll just settle for what I've already taken and try to improve what I have. Here's one I dug up from March this year taken with my now deceased Pentax K100D and cheap Tamron 70-300 lens, plus he's wearing his old antlers.

IMGP7736cs6660.jpg

no1 for me

Back