More reverse Lens Shots (28mm & 50mm)

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Took the new "old" lenses out for a play yesterday!

Takumar 28mm 2.8 & Pentax SMC 50mm 2.0, both are is superb condition and cost £48 for the pair on eBay!

Paired with my D7000 they seem to be getting me far better results than the Tamron 90mm and Raynox 250DCR.

Pentax 50mm reversed on 36mm Tubes (1.5:1)

Takumar 28mm reversed on 36mm Tubes (3.5:1) Quite a heavy crop this one as the Globby was so small, hopefully go back and find a larger one for a sharper shot.
[URL='https://flic.kr/p/rWcszC']

Takumar 28mm reversed on 36mm Tubes (3.5:1) 2mm Aphid

Pentax 50mm reversed on 36mm Tubes (1.5:1) This is my favourite shot from the weekend! Photographed by holding the leaf against the blue sky, this shot is super sharp and would not have been possible on the old set up.

Takumar 28mm reversed on 36mm Tubes (3.5:1) Close up Crab Spider
[/url]

Last edited:
These are great shots and it's always nice to hear people using older lens which are still very usable. Has that globy just thrown up :D
That closer view of the crab spider is stunning.

Last edited:
ROFL I just showed my o/h that close up of the crab spider and she said arggggggggg its hairy and time to have a shave. Believe it or not though she loves all these small creatures and would never kill any on purpose.

Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp

Brilliant especially the detail in the last one woooohhhhh mumma.

Only thing I have noticed maybe a little exposure boost on the last to bring it to same brightness as #4

I saw @Tintin124 used the reverse lens and he got great result but I was too lazy to try something new. Now seeing more shots from you, make me want to give it a try.

Great shots(y)
Thanks Howti

Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp Sharp

Only thing I have noticed maybe a little exposure boost on the last to bring it to same brightness as #4
Cheers Bryn! Yes I tried to give the exposure a little boost but I started to bleach out some of the details in the whits of the spider so left it as it is. I might have a look at it again later and possibly use some layer masks to get the right balance.

Just updated the shot Bryn. All my shots have a tendency to look darker on TP!

Great work Neil, with some very fine detail and composition.(y)

Using a reversed 20mm or 28mm is one of my favorite setups.

George.

George what 20mm do you have? I'm looking for one but not many available or too expensive!

Hi Neil, The one I have is the "Nikkor 20mm F3.5 AIS" it's obviously fully manual. The filter thread/reversing ring needed for this lens is 52mm as is all of the early Nikkor manual lenses. Optically when used normally it's not quite as good as my "Nikkor 28mm" but reversed I cannot tell the diference it is very sharp indeed. Nikon also made a "20mm F2.8" but the F3.5 version was always reputed to be a better lens.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Hi Neil, The one I have is the "Nikkor 20mm F3.5 AIS" it's obviously fully manual. The filter thread/reversing ring needed for this lens is 52mm as is all of the early Nikkor manual lenses. Optically when used normally it's not quite as good as my "Nikkor 28mm" but reversed I cannot tell the diference it is very sharp indeed. Nikon also made a "20mm F2.8" but the F3.5 version was always reputed to be a better lens.

Hope this helps.,

George.

I was fearing you would say that lens, seems they are a bit more than i want to pay at the moment! I have bid on a 19mm vivitar as it will prob be more in my price range... CHEAP!

I was fearing you would say that lens, seems they are a bit more than i want to pay at the moment! I have bid on a 19mm vivitar as it will prob be more in my price range... CHEAP!

LOL :) I have no idea what they are going for these days Neil, all I know is they are very good. The one I have was purchased new when I was shooting 35mm film more often than I do now.

Although I have no personal knowledge of the Vivitar lens you mention, I would be surprised if it doesn't produce some good results. Vivitar made some very good lenses at one time.

George.

Crab Spider is stunning,fantastic colour (y).
Clive
Thanks Clive

A white spider. I want one. Put it in a jar and send to Preston Neil, lol...
Paul.
Hahaha, they are pretty cool aren't they, cheers mate.

Great stuff Neil. I always love to see someone making the most out of the minimum of kit :clap:
Cheers Tim, as you can see I decided against the Venus for now and went down the CHEAP route lol!

A nice set and as above, nice setup.
Thanks Stuart, I'm certainly enjoying the setup.

Back