More Shorties

So beautiful! It is difficult to photograph an owl in flight because it is a nocturnal bird.

Reactions: mav
So beautiful! It is difficult to photograph an owl in flight because it is a nocturnal bird.
Not all Owls are nocturnal hunters, some as is the case of the SEO and Barn Owl will hunt during dusk & dawn.

A guiding clue is the eye colour, those with coloured eyes are the ones that hunt during those daylight periods. On the other hand the Tawny with its 'black' eyes is a nocturnal hunter.

Most are, though the Short-Eared Owl is active in the daytime…

Very nice - I went to Elmley marshes and they didn't show up - someone said because it was too windy no one else saw them that day but there had been IIRC 8+ the week before - how I laughed.
For future visits what are the ideal conditions?

I was photographing shorties last week but did not fill the frame in the same way as above simply because my lens is not long enough. The have been very active after 1500 but there are now too many photographers around and I did not tell anyone about the location but someone put it on FB.

Dave

Very nice - I went to Elmley marshes and they didn't show up - someone said because it was too windy no one else saw them that day but there had been IIRC 8+ the week before - how I laughed.
For future visits what are the ideal conditions?
I like still days Preferably after rain I'm never Confident when its windy , I went to a place few weeks ago where 12 where showing from dinner time , we went back for a three day trip and they barely showed , there was an icy cold east wind.

Most are, though the Short-Eared Owl is active in the daytime…

'Debatable I reckon, Geejay. Short-eared and Little are diurnal owls, Tawny and Barn nocturnal, and Long-eared supposedly nocturnal but I see them during daylight hours as much as any other owl. And of course, Barn owls are active during the day at the certain times of the year and when there's been a prolonged rainy/windy period.

In my opinion the only one that truly is a nocturnal owl is the Tawny.

Obviously I'm talking of British owls and so it may be different in other countries.

'Debatable I reckon, Geejay. Short-eared and Little are diurnal owls, Tawny and Barn nocturnal, and Long-eared supposedly nocturnal but I see them during daylight hours as much as any other owl. And of course, Barn owls are active during the day at the certain times of the year and when there's been a prolonged rainy/windy period.

In my opinion the only one that truly is a nocturnal owl is the Tawny.

Obviously I'm talking of British owls and so it may be different in other countries.
Ok, thanks.

Back