More small things from 2016

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some shots from late November 2016. These were with my Olympus E-M5II Zuiko 60 mm f2.8 and tubes plus Raynox and my usual Nissin Di466 flash

Here is a tiny juvenile (I think) springtail

tiny springtail 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

tiny springtail 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is a small spider

Small spider by Alf Branch, on Flickr

And finally a Mite

Mite by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A couple more springtails

Katiannidae by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Stopped for a snack by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
This set is inspiring me to go digging. But the cold is putting me off! I wonder if they hibernate or they are about still now.

Stopped for a snack is my favourite of the lot.

I took one of the first last year and assumed it was a different type of springtail. Not got and id for it so if you find out will be interested.

I agree with @ChrisA I had a brief tour in the garden today but didn't find much, tomorrow I'm going round the Loch near our house to see what I can find.

Great set mate

This set is inspiring me to go digging. But the cold is putting me off! I wonder if they hibernate or they are about still now.

Stopped for a snack is my favourite of the lot.

I took one of the first last year and assumed it was a different type of springtail. Not got and id for it so if you find out will be interested.

Thanks Chris
The first one has not been ID'd for me yet try here http://www.collembola.org/
They are very common at this time of year (I think there are less predators around). They are found allover the place in damp conditions a bin or leaf litter are good places to look. In or on rotting wod is also good on and in it. The surface of ponds or stagnet water can often be a good place to look where they walk around or jump.

I agree with @ChrisA I had a brief tour in the garden today but didn't find much, tomorrow I'm going round the Loch near our house to see what I can find.

Great set mate

Thanks Matt

Good work again Alf with these little things.

They are very common at this time of year (I think there are less predators around). They are found allover the place in damp conditions a bin or leaf litter are good places to look. In or on rotting wod is also good on and in it. The surface of ponds or stagnet water can often be a good place to look where they walk around or jump.

I've been testing my new G80 and 60mm macro on plants and I keep discovering springtails when I process the images. Not big enough in the image to be useful as images of springtails as such, but showing me that there certainly are plenty around. And I didn't expect to find them on plants. You are encouraging me to go out equipped to try and find and photograph some. Keep up the good work inspiring us all. :)

Good work again Alf with these little things.

I've been testing my new G80 and 60mm macro on plants and I keep discovering springtails when I process the images. Not big enough in the image to be useful as images of springtails as such, but showing me that there certainly are plenty around. And I didn't expect to find them on plants. You are encouraging me to go out equipped to try and find and photograph some. Keep up the good work inspiring us all. :)

Go for it Nick they are out there. The 60mm is sharp and and OK to use for slow subjects like flowers but MF is too slow IMO for general use. For the shots above I set it to 1:1 in MF and move the camera to position.

Springtails can be found on flowers

Springtail party by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Go for it Nick they are out there. The 60mm is sharp and and OK to use for slow subjects like flowers but MF is too slow IMO for general use. For the shots above I set it to 1:1 in MF and move the camera to position.

Springtails can be found on flowers

Not half! That is amazing.

I went out this afternoon looking for them. Spent ? an hour or so having a close look at various parts of the garden. Didn't find any. :(

Back