Morning Dew

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple from the garden this morning, all shot with a manual Vivitar 90mm 2.8 Macro at 1:1... this lens has some lovely bokeh :)

5604903531_950aa2e59d_b.jpg

5604903525_35c7463b84_b.jpg

Do you mind me asking why you say it has lovely bokeh, I often think I misunderstood and the term? I like the shots but find the 8 sided highlights, with a secondary rim around the, a little ugly. I'm not having a pop but would like, finally, to understand the term bokeh.

Love the subject and light...

I'm not anywhere near expert enough to give a full technical explanation.

I doubt you would get lovely round highlights with any lens work at these magnifications unless it had a dozen rounded aperture blades (the highlights in the image are a matter of mm's and cm's away from each other)?!?

I think subject distance also has a lot to do with it as at at greater distances the highlights are infact round and smooth....this is another at 1:1, but the distance from the lens is greater;

5564774281_aa46847a33_b.jpg

Ken gives a much better explanation of it than I ever could;

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

Thanks for that, I've had a read up and it seems that it can mean all out of focus areas, I had misunderstood that it meant the out of focus highlights...

Does the shape of the highlights change as you stop down? Looks like it does.

Oh and thanks for the link to KR, thats one of his less extreme articles and makes it more understandable...

again im very new at this.. looking at the first one the detail on the infocus water droplet is stunning! but imh(and un-trained)o the bokeh immediately around it complicates things a bit taking away from the coolness of the water droplet.

still, i cant get images like this yet so well done :D

Back