Most basic digital camera ?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a D70 and I think something is up with it. I bought it second hand.

Anyway i am struggling to get great shots, i post up on forums and get ridiculed for my shots, yet personally i dont see anything wrong with them.

So i want to buy a basic camera (cant be film though) and see if i can get some good techniques sorted with it before progressing onto the D70.

Sort of taking a few steps backwards and starting fresh.

I had good results with an old S9600 however that camera was very noisy, even at lowest iso every image would be ruined with high visable noise.

Any ideas ?

John,

Rather than post them somewhere you have been ridiculed, how about posting them here and letting everyone offer some positive and constructive criticism. Maybe that way you can improve with the hardware you have without the extra expense?

The D70 whilst having some advanced functions will work in basic modes too. Suggest posting a few pictures, maybe some which you are pleased with but others have ridiculed and ask for our opinion.

We can then look at them and give some constructive criticism.

I currently have a S9600 and have had some very good results with it (see below for one of my faves) although I guess the sensor is quite small and noise is an issue above ISO 200 or so.

Don't chop the D70 for something basic - if you lose the ability to adjust aperture and shutter speed manually you won't be able to progress. You don't have to use everything the D70 offers. Take a few steps back with what you've got and then once you're familiar with it you can dig a little deeper into what it can do.

If you suspect something is up with it, do you have a local shop that could take a look and confirm ? Have you thought about a course ? I attended a one day DSLR course (with my Fuji) run by my local adult education authority and learned loads... only cost about £25 too.

Like the previous posts - stick a couple of pics up and let the good chaps on here tell you what's right / wrong with them.

Hope this helps...
Daniel.

img02.jpg

I have a D70 and I think something is up with it. I bought it second hand... Anyway i am struggling to get great shots, I post up on forums and get ridiculed for my shots, yet personally i dont see anything wrong with them...

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Before you rush out and buy another camera, I'd follow the advice of the others and get some images into your gallery here. You'll get a lot of good, honest help from the members. :)

Si

John,

The advice above is priceless, don't bin the 70 but do post some photo's. I've only been here a short while but one thing I have already noticed is that it is a lot more helpful than a lot of other tog forums, as said post your pics up and there are plenty of peeps on here who would be more than happy to help!

John,

I think that you should pursue photography for your own pleasure and not for others. It's nice when other people like your shots but I think that the main thing is that photography and the pictures you take give you pleasure.

People here will give you tips so I agree with the people saying that you should post here rather than in forums where people ridicule or criticise too much.

I too think that you should keep your camera. If you want to free yourself from worrying about settings leave everything to the camera by sticking it in Auto or Programme mode and then just concentrate on composition.

Genuine criticism is healthy and should be taken on board. However, it's very easy to be an online critic and so often not thought through. What's important is that you progress and enjoy your photography. Don't down grade your camera on the strength (or weakness) of someone elses opinion. Rather, seek and find ways to improve on what you have already achieved.

post images for crit, take it and learn from it. If not jog on.

I feel as a new person to this forum myself and photography thats not very helpfull or polite......we all have to start sum where, so dont be so rude or un-helpfull. Please!!

Why dont you post a pic up and get some feedback,,,,,,but as others have said if you like the images that all that matters.
wendy.x

I feel as a new person to this forum myself and photography thats not very helpfull or polite......we all have to start sum where, so dont be so rude or un-helpfull. Please!!

Why dont you post a pic up and get some feedback,,,,,,but as others have said if you like the images that all that matters.
wendy.x

He wasn't being rude and unhelpful. He was being concise and to the point. A bit abrupt perhaps, but not rude.

And I agree... if we could see some of the images that the OP has been ridiculed for, we could get somewhere. I have a suspicion I know which forum he may have posted the images.

I have a D70 and I think something is up with it. I bought it second hand.

Anyway i am struggling to get great shots, i post up on forums and get ridiculed for my shots, yet personally i dont see anything wrong with them.

So i want to buy a basic camera (cant be film though) and see if i can get some good techniques sorted with it before progressing onto the D70.

Sort of taking a few steps backwards and starting fresh.

I had good results with an old S9600 however that camera was very noisy, even at lowest iso every image would be ruined with high visable noise.

Any ideas ?

As above really, post some images up. You'll get constructive criticism, but you will NOT be ridiculed, I can promise you that. Everyone started somewhere, and no-one was born with an innate ability to take an amazing photo (well, some probably were, but I don't like or speak to them :D ).

So have no fear, as long as you can take the criticism and learn from it, you'll be amazed at how much you pick up, and how quickly. (y)

Chris

My advise would be to

1: buy a field guide book for your camera... it gave me insight to the ins and outs of my cameras features and was invaluable.

2: shoot in auto mode for a while to get to grips with composing a good image before moving on to tweaking those compositions in manual.

3: post your pictures here for constructive input.

also, maybe consider a course, and/or meeting up at any local talkphotography meets and if anyone is local that takes pics maybe meet up with them as well... ive found my photography improving very quickly meeting up with like minded people having days of location shooting.

Back