Most successful Tot Shoot to date - WITH PICS !!!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Finally had a few mins spare to process some of those pics from the other days' Shoot (29 kids in 3 1/2 hours and 1,157 images!)

Anyway, here's a few... be as harsh as you like but please bear in mind these have had no individual PP work done, they have only had a Batch process to ready them for ProShowGold output; and then cropped for TP (why I picked 500x600 px for TP God only knows:wacky:)

So all blemishes are present, muck on the floor is present, their eyes are as Shot, there are no changes whatsoever other than the batch, so no 'Grey Mopping' either - which means no time spent (wasted?) on them at all

Those chosen by their parents for printing will have individually assessed PP done on them, and they are all told this too - these are just 'Digital Proofs'

DD

TP34.jpg

TP13.jpg

TP27.jpg

TP62.jpg

TP73.jpg

TP82.jpg

TP91.jpg

TP44.jpg

TP52.jpg

Well done, really good photos. I am no position to crit someone in your position, BUT the chap in the last photo, looks like he is falling through space or something, the shadow is confusing the hell out of me.

great shots to match your great day. I know little about the processing techniques required, but when you get results this good in the camera I reckon your pretty much there already.(y)

Really think they are all good, 2& 4 being my favourites.

i love no.1 she looks like a porcelein doll :)

These are all fantastic. Great job :clap:

Fabulous work Dave and the quality is there thats for sure. I think that the first three are superb.

All superb, nember 3 is tremendous - she'll go far!

Number 6 - "look into my eyes, not around the eyes .........."

Will you keep the reflections or burn out as if it was a paper floor, sorry if its a silly question!

All superb, nember 3 is tremendous - she'll go far!

Number 6 - "look into my eyes, not around the eyes .........."

Will you keep the reflections or burn out as if it was a paper floor, sorry if its a silly question!

i think he will keep it mate as that the idea of it...(y)

dave dave dave what can i say....:thinking:

ill go and try and find some major faults with them

md(y)

wonderful shots. was witing to see them after reading your post the other day. I am intrigued by the floor also with regard to background. great stuff.

Cheers chaps

Not a silly question m8, but MD's right, the white-paper problem is with it appearing dirty grey where it is underexposed near to and in front of the subject, so that's usually why 'Grey Mopping' is used

Here though, the white is pure white as the floor is so reflective it needs no PP at all, leaving the reflection as part of the image is my intention

MD - if they are that bad I can always go find some better ones, I do have well over another 1,000 to go at to find one you're happy with (hopefully) :(

DD

:LOL:

dont bother looking for anymore dave...

these are more than ok in my book and as you have only batched them even better(y)

whichever pics the parents pick . i am positive that there will be tear's and that is only a good thing....

pleasure viewing(y)

and i do have a favorite and its one that i always get people and kids to do in my garage :naughty:

md(y)

Cheers chaps

Not a silly question m8, but MD's right, the white-paper problem is with it appearing dirty grey where it is underexposed near to and in front of the subject, so that's usually why 'Grey Mopping' is used

Here though, the white is pure white as the floor is so reflective it needs no PP at all, leaving the reflection as part of the image is my intention

MD - if they are that bad I can always go find some better ones, I do have well over another 1,000 to go at to find one you're happy with (hopefully) :(

DD

I think they are great and the reflections work for me, just didn't know if they would be for keeps or get rid They certainly add that three dimensional aspect as opposed to subjects being completely surrounded by brilliant white! I'm on a steep learning curve here:bang:

I think they are great and the reflections work for me, just didn't know if they would be for keeps or get rid They certainly add that three dimensional aspect as opposed to subjects being completely surrounded by brilliant white! I'm on a steep learning curve here:bang:

No worries m8 :)

Just keep asking - there are no 'daft' questions, others are no doubt wondering the same, and we're on TP to offer help & support if we can - so ask

(y)

DD

Loely set Dave and that floor really lifts the images, amazing what a difference a reflected subject can make - and that's apart from the time spent on PP.

Just out of interest, what made you go with this type of floor rather than a sheet of perspex over the white paper? This is what I have seen before but never tried.

Wow! These are wonderful, I love no4, No3 made me smile:)

Great series of shots:)

ooh - even more nice comments, thanks chaps

Hacker - it was actually an idea from a link on good old TP that gave me the idea for this type of laminate flooring - then bugger me (not literally!), if our own Dellipher wasn't working for a bathroom supplier that could sell me it!

Lucky coincidence - jumped upon

I've seen perspex used and it didn't float my boat the same - only this morn we had a 'heavy' lass on it in stilettos and it didn't mark at all, so it's good for dogs too - and I've had a baby pee on it which only took a quick wipe = FAB

DD

Wow, what a lovely set! Well worth waiting for DD :clap:

I really am taken with 1, she is so frickin' cute :love: and I love the simplicity of each shot. It emphasises just how cute these little people are. I am sure all the parents will be more than happy with their children's portraits :clap:

Though I'm not keen on the slant on the last one...

I haven't read through all the replies - but these are pure magic - I don't envy you the task of shooting these kids - but your results are A1

Oh, and my brother in law works for Jewsons.. I think I'll be asking him if they have any of this white stuff :D That's if you don't mind a bit of idea copying :LOL: ....:confused:

:LOL: @ Jo - go Jewsons go babe :LOL:

And the angled one was this little sod (I mean darling) was moving so fast I tilted the camera to get him all in one shot as he was near the end of the 'in range' part of the flooring!

awp - it is hard work - not a break or drink or pee break for over 3 1/2 hours but I actually love it all - so for me the whole time was just fun

Honestly, if I could do this every day I swear I'd be a very happy chappy

There are some kids though that you desperately want back though as they are so photogenic and you just feel that with more time you'd create 'magic' with them - of the 29 kids at least 5 were like this

Great great fun

Glad you like them (y) and I hope I can perhaps inspire others to get out & Shoot some kids!!!!!!!!! :LOL:

DD

Well you have certainly inspired me DD :D

What is your favourite portraiture lens btw? I need some new glass, and I think this is the way I want to go. I really enjoy doing pet portraits. But I really don't have the right equipment. I have a set of lights and brollies on route though, so that's a start .. no more table lamps for me :LOL:

Well you have certainly inspired me DD :D

What is your favourite portraiture lens btw? I need some new glass, and I think this is the way I want to go. I really enjoy doing pet portraits. But I really don't have the right equipment. I have a set of lights and brollies on route though, so that's a start .. no more table lamps for me :LOL:

My fav portrait lens is the one that gets the little darlings all in even though they run around, and can still pull off a head & shoulders too

Hence it's an 18-70mm, and it is used throughout its full range too

I know the tradition of using lenses with focal lengths around 85mm, but it just wouldn't work in a studio environment unless they were made to sit still - which would ruin the fun aspect for me & them

As for Jamesbuk & natjag - it is my own action, but basically it has these elements in it...

Levels
Brightness & Contrast
USM
Saturation
Diffuse Glow
Canvas size (for simple borders)
Image size (72 for PSG)

So it's nothing special

DD

It will stop for you to do that particular bit allan .. then carry on.

might be off topic! - so sorry, but how do you do levels in an action? As in doesn't it stop and wait for you to pull the sliders in? or do you have set values for it you always give a pic?

Hi KIM

Not OT really

I open a variety of images throughout a whole Shoot and assess what Levels values to set to suit them all, then apply those settings within the action - so yes, it's a case of figuring it out as a 'best-fit' and doing them all the same

TBH it doesn't vary a great deal between Shoots normally, but it does vary when you take the entire set-up to a new venue!

DD

My fav portrait lens is the one that gets the little darlings all in even though they run around, and can still pull off a head & shoulders too

Hence it's an 18-70mm, and it is used throughout its full range too

I know the tradition of using lenses with focal lengths around 85mm, but it just wouldn't work in a studio environment unless they were made to sit still - which would ruin the fun aspect for me & them

<widdle snip>

DD

Thanks for answering DD. I was looking at a 17-40mmL, so I'm glad I asked because you brought up a couple of important bits there. I can certainly see the use of it being longer. So now I'm thinking the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM as an alternative as well. :thinking: decisions decisions.

Thanks for answering DD. I was looking at a 17-40mmL, so I'm glad I asked because you brought up a couple of important bits there. I can certainly see the use of it being longer. So now I'm thinking the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM as an alternative as well. :thinking: decisions decisions.

I'm not sure if you're on a FF or crop sensor, but if we don't bother to work out the crop bit - a great lens range for Portraiture would be a zoom that goes from around 20-100mm

That'd give you from full length to head & shoulders without moving and with a quick flick of the wrist, anything shorter (at either end) will mean compromise

Usually, for child portraiture in a studio, you're not going to be using DoF to capture eyes and leave ears starting to go OoF - so f2.8 or wider isn't necessary. So this means you're most likely to be working at f8/f11 where any lens is at it's best, and hence you don't need to spend a fortune on a decent studio portrait lens

My 18-70 is a great beastie at f8 and can now be had for as little as £200. Its IQ is more than enough for 30x40" canvasses so having the 17-55 f2.8 (around £800) would just be daft as it'd give little noticeable additional IQ and being shorter on the long end would mean more chance of cropping - hence throwing away any IQ advantage anyway

HTH

DD

Yes, yes it does! :LOL: You have talked some sense into me, I clearly wasn't thinking about it properly. I see you point clear as a bell now.

I'm using a 40D btw. I'll go back and look at my lens options again later, but for now I really must sleep.

Thanks again DD (y)

Dave,
Just to say love the Photos especially number 1 for pure cuteness and number 3 for comedy value classic.

cheers
Richard

Back