Most successful Tot Shoot to date - WITH PICS !!!

no, no i got it... i just thought every parent would see their kids as gorgeous regardless....maybe they don't????? and i wondered if you, when you spotted a less fortunate one in the looks department, gave them an extra helping hand to look a little less.....well, turdish???? (god, i feel so mean.....:LOL:)

No serious amount of PP is gonna make a turd look like a misplaced chocolate eclair :LOL:

There are some poses, positions more like, that enhance facial features - but I often find standing them outside & around the corner for the shot is frowned upon

:naughty:

DD

No serious amount of PP is gonna make a turd look like a misplaced chocolate eclair :LOL:

There are some poses, positions more like, that enhance facial features - but I often find standing them outside & around the corner for the shot is frowned upon

:naughty:

DD

:LOL:

pmsl

your a bad man :LOL:

md:LOL:

ha ha... a bad man but a funny man :LOL:

These are really superb pics DD, as regards the lighting and i may be talking out of my arse here as i haven't a clue about lighting, but do you think it would be possible to use 2 continuous lights to light the background, and a diffused speedlight or 2 to light the subject, the reason i ask is i recently bought a couple of those cheap continuous lights with a couple of brollies from ebay which have been mentioned on another thread, i also have an SB-600 and SB-800 which i can put on stands with diffusers or a silver reflector brolly, just wondered if this would work, your thoughts or anyone else,s for that matter much appreciated :)

These are really superb pics DD, as regards the lighting and i may be talking out of my arse here as i haven't a clue about lighting, but do you think it would be possible to use 2 continuous lights to light the background, and a diffused speedlight or 2 to light the subject, the reason i ask is i recently bought a couple of those cheap continuous lights with a couple of brollies from ebay which have been mentioned on another thread, i also have an SB-600 and SB-800 which i can put on stands with diffusers or a silver reflector brolly, just wondered if this would work, your thoughts or anyone else,s for that matter much appreciated :)

Firstly, I have no idea what you're on about with the cheap continuous lights - so bear that in mind with this reply

You could do it like that - but unless those continuous lights are extremely bright, they may not be bright enough to blow your background to white; or to do so you may need to turn your flashes down too far for the DoF you're after

Why not try your flashes on the background and 1 continuous light on your subject instead?

So long s the flashes make the background white, the benefit of the continuous light on your subject is that you can clearly see the effect without having to chimp

DD

Excellent pics DD, and cheers for all the info in this (and other threads,) on your set up.(y)

Just one question - Does slightly raising one section of the floor cause any problems in this health and safety mad country we live in? Just wondered if anyone had deemed it a "trip hazard" and kicked up about it?:shrug::bonk:

Clearly it works and you use it, and I guess the level is only ever-so slightly higher, so I guess the answer is "No"?:LOL:

Excellent pics DD, and cheers for all the info in this (and other threads,) on your set up.(y)

Just one question - Does slightly raising one section of the floor cause any problems in this health and safety mad country we live in? Just wondered if anyone had deemed it a "trip hazard" and kicked up about it?:shrug::bonk:

Clearly it works and you use it, and I guess the level is only ever-so slightly higher, so I guess the answer is "No"?:LOL:

It's about 3mm higher - if the silly sods can fall over that then they are probably unable to make it up the kerb & through Reception's twin doors and flooring :eek:

So not really a problem methinks

DD

Firstly, I have no idea what you're on about with the cheap continuous lights - so bear that in mind with this reply

Ok sorry should have been more specific i was referring to this thread HERE which is where a few forum members including myself have recently purchased them from, thanks for the advice i will give that a go, i'm not using them for pro use just for a few family members, hopefully i will get some decent results (y)

Great set of pics DD. Both the flooring and lighting work so well. I've been trying out studio type work with borrowed lighting from the camera club and absolutely love it so I know how much fun you must have with this. :bonk: ers using kids though how do you get them to look at the camera for more than a nano-second :D

Ok sorry should have been more specific i was referring to this thread HERE which is where a few forum members including myself have recently purchased them from, thanks for the advice i will give that a go, i'm not using them for pro use just for a few family members, hopefully i will get some decent results (y)

Okies - had a look now - and WOW - that looks like an absolute bargain for use with Still Life & Product shots

They will also do pretty well with small stuff, cats, rabbits, etc.

People will be okay too I think, but probably not in any decent group size IF you are also after a white background

You're just going to have to have a go - either flash on background or lights on background and see what's best - a bit of trial an error on your part

What may prove interesting is where the white isn't quite white enough, as then you may well see a 'boundary' change between WB of the lights/flash - that may prove to be a feature! But it will probably only show itself in full length shots

Have a play, have fun, post results

(y)

DD

Great set of pics DD. Both the flooring and lighting work so well. I've been trying out studio type work with borrowed lighting from the camera club and absolutely love it so I know how much fun you must have with this. :bonk: ers using kids though how do you get them to look at the camera for more than a nano-second :D

Aside from the obvious of taking quite a few shots to get them looking the right way as they play... two Top Tips for getting eye contact with Tots

1 - get mum to stand immediately behind you, or even stand over you (when laid down). Tots love eye contact, so will follow mum around. If you want them looking up to the left/right - move mum !!!

2 - some parents are crap to direct in 1 (above), so they need eye contact with YOU, but can't as you have a camera covering your face. So then I either keep both eyes open, one looking through the viewfinder one at the kid to get eye contact (that takes some practice mind!); or if the child is sitting, laid down, hold the camera steady and move your head out from behind it to get that eye contact

Easy really !!!

DD

The lights will almost certainly have a different colour temperature to the flash - not clear from the eBay ad exactly what they are - but the WB will likely be all over the place. Experimentation required!

You're just going to have to have a go - either flash on background or lights on background and see what's best - a bit of trial an error on your part

What may prove interesting is where the white isn't quite white enough, as then you may well see a 'boundary' change between WB of the lights/flash - that may prove to be a feature! But it will probably only show itself in full length shots

Have a play, have fun, post results

(y)

DD

Thanks for the advice DD, i'm hoping to have a proper play this weekend, if i do i will certainly post some results (y)

OOOOOPS. 4 pages to read, I thought only 1...my question MIGHT have been answered.

OOOOOPS. 4 pages to read, I thought only 1...my question MIGHT have been answered.

I'm betting it was on the first post ;)

But do yourself a favour - and use a raised platform for it too - just 6" is enough

DD

:LOL:

:popcorn:

Waiting for the results:rules:

md:wave:

Love coming home to a thread like this!

I can only see the first shot (rest are red squares) but it looks brilliant. I'll be stealing the floor idea once I've got the loft converted if thats OK with you!!! I won't ask again where you got it from....

My friend has continuous lights on her backdrop and regrets the purchase as they aren't powerful enough to white it out. Sorry, I don't know if they are the same ones but they were cheap!

Missed this thread :crying:

Anychance of seeing the other pics as only the 1st one is visible (y)

Missed this thread :crying:

Anychance of seeing the other pics as only the 1st one is visible (y)

Soz - nope

I filled my gallery on TP - so emptied it clearing every image

They are all gone now - no point in keeping them as a Pro after the initial order period in my book - unless to embarrass a 'star' in 20 years time ;)

DD

Rudesing - just ask me directly for any help on this - it's not 'Rude' to copy or even 'sing' about it :LOL:

DD

Wow thanks! Will definitely be taking you up on this one.

I can't imagine how you did so many kids. I've done one baby (under one year) every 15mins for 3hrs and that was tough. Parents expected a lot (change of clothes, 101 poses), babies screamed, cried, slept, ate at the wrong time. Can't imagine how you fit it all in. Sorry if you've already said but did the parents have a few pics to choose from? If so, how many?

'Rudesing' is a long story, but it's Ruth really.

Pay me for the free bump later DD :D

I :love::love::love: your commercial nature EG - much like mine (y)

And being a Scot talking to a Yorkie - I know you know there's no fking way you're getting any money out of me :D:D:D

DD

Wow thanks! Will definitely be taking you up on this one.

I can't imagine how you did so many kids. I've done one baby (under one year) every 15mins for 3hrs and that was tough. Parents expected a lot (change of clothes, 101 poses), babies screamed, cried, slept, ate at the wrong time. Can't imagine how you fit it all in. Sorry if you've already said but did the parents have a few pics to choose from? If so, how many?

'Rudesing' is a long story, but it's Ruth really.

Hi Ruth

If they played ball - about 50 shots each, those that didn't went as low as 20 so they were all also done in B&W to boost numbers :D

I made about £700 overall from this shoot, which was actually less than forecast - but hey - you take the rough with the smooth

DD

DD

Had a chance to do portrait shoot. Best of the subjects was surprisingly the youngest. Had the camera on a tripod and used a wireless remote which worked resonably well and enabled me to keep some eye contact with the subjects. The main issue was having others in the room which made it difficult to get the attention of the subject. Still loved every minute of it though.

Thx again DD for your tips (y)

DD

Had a chance to do portrait shoot. Best of the subjects was surprisingly the youngest. Had the camera on a tripod and used a wireless remote which worked resonably well and enabled me to keep some eye contact with the subjects. The main issue was having others in the room which made it difficult to get the attention of the subject. Still loved every minute of it though.

Thx again DD for your tips (y)

If the kiddie is small - but can sit up at least - get ONE person as their focus of attention to stand OVER you as you lay on the floor - kick ALL others out

Young kids need eye contact, with a camera to your face you don't have that, so get another to help. I've even had mothers (not fat ones :LOL:) sit on my back while I shoot their tots - works a treat (y)

DD

.... you also obviously keep them interested with your wit and charm .... lol (or at least the moodyones) :D ..... do you have your own permanent studio? If so I'm extremely envious I think this is my ultimate goal but a long way off yet ..... :-(

Paul

Last edited:
Back