Beginner Moth

What a lovely beast. Plenty of detail all over and nicely controlled flash. Good execution. Good result.

60mm macro lens? Single/twin flash? Diffusion arrangements? It would be nice to know a bit more.

f/18. Smaller than many people would use. Works well to give coverage across the subject (although being that square onto it, would a larger aperture have worked? (Not a suggestion - I use even smaller apertures as it happens - I'm genuinely curious. Depends on how much curvature there was on the subject - possibly more than is apparent from the look of the image.)

This shot was very rushed with no prep. Taken for a friend as a record shot and above to look at pattern detail. The back ground was a white table top to help provide a cleaner and less distracted image and f18 to help with DOF being so close. Had I not been in a rush I woulds have used my Sigma 150 and 5dmk111 but the 7d and 60 was ready to go The flash was a single flash with diffusion but struggled with the shadow below from this angle.

Carl

Back