Mother and Daughter

Edit My Images
No
I'm still very much finding my feet taking photos of people but I thought I'd share this shot I took the other day.

I like the idea of it but I'm not really convinced it works as well as it could. It looks staged but it wasn't, I just went over with my camera and was taking random shots whilst we were having a chat over some tea.

_DSC5694.jpg

Nikon D3 with 28-70 at f2.8

Well I like it. I think it does work, Compositionally it follow the rule of thirds very well. I'd like to see it just a tiny bit darker (perhaps it's my monitor)

Thanks Ali, I'm not sure what it is I don't like. I think maybe there isn't enough DOF but the light was pretty dull at this point, ISO3200 dark in fact!

No your right it is a little light, I did boost the contrast a bit but it didn't look right. I wonder if its just because I'm not sure about the image in general so I am looking for faults lol

EDIT: Thanks Craig :)

I really like this! a nice take on something that is quite commonly photographed :) and nice in black and white

I think it could work. Composition wise it is spot on, just feel you have used too little DOF, maybe shooting at f/5.6 would make it work better. Also and this is being picky, is the babes little finger is bent, maybe nice to see all the finger wrapped around mums finger.

But it is a great shot though. My wife has just lent over and said she now wants a shot like taken with our little one. So know what i am now doing tomorrow. Cheers..

I think it could work. Composition wise it is spot on, just feel you have used too little DOF, maybe shooting at f/5.6 would make it work better. Also and this is being picky, is the babes little finger is bent, maybe nice to see all the finger wrapped around mums finger.

But it is a great shot though. My wife has just lent over and said she now wants a shot like taken with our little one. So know what i am now doing tomorrow. Cheers..
Yeah I think that could have made it work more but I was out of light :(

Look forward to seeing what you come up with :D

Excellent effort! I think the thing which bugs me is the baby's head being too reclined. If it was more upright, the shot would work far better. Probably to get what you want, it's the sort of shot which should be staged. Worth doing again I reckon.

Was going to say rubbish, waaaaaaaay too soft.

Then I scrolled down and saw the hand :D Like it lots (y)

As AliB says - maybe a little darker, more contrast, and as CT says, if babies head was more upright but a good picture - assuming you are a part of the family, do put in the effort to get the shots now, as baby will change so fast, and you need to get the pictures today so you can look back at them tomorrow and the day after.....

Back