Mother Cap Milky Way

Really like this Craig, the blue hour has made such a difference I think from the normal dark sky albeit nothing wrong with that. Also thanks for the honesty in stating its a composite, rather refreshing (y)

Hiya! Lovely image, but this isn't from Mam Tor, this would be from Over Owler Tor, looking at Mother Cap.

Cheers,

andy

looks good to me

Cheers Holty!

Really like this Craig, the blue hour has made such a difference I think from the normal dark sky albeit nothing wrong with that. Also thanks for the honesty in stating its a composite, rather refreshing (y)

Thanks Paul, and no issues at all stating it's a composite. I used to try and get my Astro shots in one, but I really don't see the point waiting for hours and struggling with light pollution when you don't have to!

Hiya! Lovely image, but this isn't from Mam Tor, this would be from Over Owler Tor, looking at Mother Cap.

Cheers,

andy

Thanks Andy, 100% correct and I knew that. It's what you get naming images late at night when you are shattered I'll change the tread name and re make the link on my computer later...

Here's a thought. When constructing a composite like this, to what extent does it matter whether the component parts fit together 'properly'?

I mean, if the Milky Way were visible in that part of the sky at that time, then what you've done is essentially like a sort of glorified HDR: using multiple exposures to represent what was visible at that location at that time. But I guess it probably wasn't; thanks to Andy's detective work it seems that the foreground photo was taken with the camera pointing roughly north-north-west, and you wouldn't see the Milky Way like this in that direction.

In terms of the artistic effect, obviously it doesn't matter one bit. It's a beautiful image.

But the OCD nerd inside me says it isn't real.....

Here's a thought. When constructing a composite like this, to what extent does it matter whether the component parts fit together 'properly'?

I mean, if the Milky Way were visible in that part of the sky at that time, then what you've done is essentially like a sort of glorified HDR: using multiple exposures to represent what was visible at that location at that time. But I guess it probably wasn't; thanks to Andy's detective work it seems that the foreground photo was taken with the camera pointing roughly north-north-west, and you wouldn't see the Milky Way like this in that direction.

In terms of the artistic effect, obviously it doesn't matter one bit. It's a beautiful image.

But the OCD nerd inside me says it isn't real.....

It is an interesting question, and probably the answer is down to a couple of things.

It actually gets me a bit too, which is why I am upfront and refer to it as a composite. It is not a recorded event or me sharing a memory of something that I witnessed, it is a creation of the imagination - digital 'art' if you wish.

Now, if I'd stood there at night time and watched the landscape get darker and darker, but taken in the memory of the blue hour landscape, then watched the milky way rise (from the correct orientation) and saw that my mind's eye would remember the entire event. Those memories which were spaced in reality might blur into one, the blue hour landscape and the milky way becoming visible as it got darker. If I had stood there and videoed that period of time, or recorded a time-lapse I could watch the whole event back again. As a photographer, working with a single finished image I could photograph the blue hour, then the milky way and blend them to integrate the memories into a single image. I would still be telling a story and hopefully conveying to the viewer what I saw on that evening. Blending time as well as light levels.

If I had of done the above then personally I would consider that no more of a cheat than someone putting a 15 stop filter on their lens and taking a long exposure....

As I didn't the OCD side of me agrees it is not real. One day I will hopefully get the opportunity to capture the astro landscape images I would like to. Currently, working over 60 hours a week and only getting limited opportunity to go out with a camera I am a slave to the conditions and time restraints. Which is why I grabbed this blue hour shot on the way to take some sunrise photos during a 2 day, 1 night dash to the peaks, and the milky way was borrowed from a semi dark night over a month later and a few hundred miles away. (After 3 nights of wasting my time!)

Cheers Craig.

It actually gets me a bit too, which is why I am upfront and refer to it as a composite. It is not a recorded event or me sharing a memory of something that I witnessed, it is a creation of the imagination - digital 'art' if you wish.

... the OCD side of me agrees it is not real.
I'm glad it's not just me!

Don't let me put you off though! "Real" or not, they're lovely images to look at.

Back