Motion

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Working a dance show and, while dialing in the shutter speed after a lighting change, realised I could get the equivalent of shutter drag without moving the camera.

Abstract Motion I by DrHWest, on Flickr

Motion by DrHWest, on Flickr

Abstract Dance by DrHWest, on Flickr

The only major PP was to make sure the faces of the dancers was obscured as some of them were minors.

I like the form and the concept, especially in the first, but feel that its mono conversion has lost something as the colour in the second helps to define the different elements.

I like number 2 a lot; I think it conveys the dance nicely. Number 1 is good, but some of the shapes in it are a little awkward I think, so it loses the feel of the dance. Number 3 I think doesn't work except as an abstract, in which case it would be better if we couldn't see the girl on the left.

I'd love to know how they're done though?

I was drawn straight to number 1 due to it's ghostly looking appearance - I'd say that's a great "experimental" type shot.

Loving #2 myself. I wonder if losing the left most figure would look better still?

I like number 2 a lot; I think it conveys the dance nicely. Number 1 is good, but some of the shapes in it are a little awkward I think, so it loses the feel of the dance. Number 3 I think doesn't work except as an abstract, in which case it would be better if we couldn't see the girl on the left.

I'd love to know how they're done though?

Just taken at about 1/4'' while they were dancing: nothing fancy, all done in camera. The ballet one has more detail because their movements were slower.

I'll have a look at some of the crops people suggested and post the results.

Back