Motley Crew

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
These first three shots all taken this morning in dull light with the 7D and 500mm f4L at 1600 ISO.

4080432222_d060ea2c1a_o.jpg

4079672959_562587d357_o.jpg

4079673043_1bb47a1121_o.jpg

OK ... this next one is a crappy feeder shot, but these guys don't visit the garden very often and when they do it's only the nut feeder they're interested in. That's the excuses done, but the point is this was with the 7D and 500mm f4L at 5000 ISO and has just had NR run on the background. It's also well over a 50% crop.

4079673201_626b80981c_o.jpg

So after a few weeks of use some thoughts on the 7D....

The AF system in this camera is very fast and accurate indeed. My keeper rate of sharp shots has shot up - the system easily nails a lot of the problem shots where the bird moves it's head or body at the last moment and focus is lost - the system seems to stay locked on very well indeed. The metering system is also first class IMHO.

So is it a better camera than the 50D? Unquestionably it is .Having said that, I don't expect to see the 'night and day' difference we saw between the 40D and 50D which resulted in us getting a 2nd 50D body. When you're shooting two cameras side by side and often at the same subject there's no escaping the quality difference if it's there.

Hopefully we'll get to test the two cameras in ernest side by side next week and I'm expecting - indeed hoping- that the 50D will at least hold it's own in comparison to the 7D. The last thing I need to do is buy another 7D body and Jan loves the 50D anyway.

If you own a 50D then it's a difficult one to call whether you should upgrade, it's lots of little improvements in the 7D and the sum of all it's parts, rather than any really obvious single killer feature, which need to be weighed in the balance before you hock the family silver to go and get one.

Last edited:
There are no doubles in there Cedders... :naughty:

:D

A superb group of images as usual though... (y) ...the Starling is showing some superb detail and a great range of that typical colouration... :D

Not too interested in the 50D stuff so I'll pass on that if you don't mind... :cautious:

08.gif

A good set Cedric and an interesting read on your thoughts (y)

Back