Moto GP

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Things started off so well, we got to Silverstone early,headed infield to the point opposite Becketts,stood in front of the photography hole in the fence for over an hour..photographed the Moto3 (first image) with no problems.
The minute the Moto GP riders came out we were told we had to move because of health and safety :wacky:, strange how for the previous hour there had been none :thinking:
Wont be going back to this unfriendly circuit again

Moto3 by John Jesney, on Flickr

Cal Crutchlow by John Jesney, on Flickr

Valentino Rossi by John Jesney, on Flickr

Alvaro Bautista by John Jesney, on Flickr

Good super sharp shots (y) I to was a bit miffed they had shut the centre section off :shrug:,but as mentioned thats not the best place for bike shots,I think you did well with these :clap:
Clive.

Very crisp sharp shots amazed you got in so close at Silverfence its a circuit I will not visit due to the over the top health and safety plus you are so far away where did you get the Rossi shot ?

It's just the fact we were ok to tog the Moto3 and then got moved on, we were furious..the Rossi shot I think was taken at the big thick metal fence as he was going into Becketts, didn't stay there long..we then went to Village, the only time we didn't want the sun to come out and it did :bonk: .Still, managed to get a few usable shots.

Good super sharp shots (y) I to was a bit miffed they had shut the centre section off :shrug:,but as mentioned thats not the best place for bike shots,I think you did well with these :clap:
Clive.
Thanks Clive, headed there because of the hole in the fence and wanted to get the riders cranked over as they took the corner, I was there for the World Superbikes and we didn't have a problem then.
A couple of guys with me have 500mm lenses and the conspiracist in me thinks it was something to do with the press guys not happy they weren't the only ones getting decent shots
John

it was something to do with the press guys not happy they weren't the only ones getting decent shots
John

LOL errrrrr no :)

Its to do with the security folks who are given a one sentence briefing and not given any latitude in their application.

Thanks Clive, headed there because of the hole in the fence and wanted to get the riders cranked over as they took the corner, I was there for the World Superbikes and we didn't have a problem then.
A couple of guys with me have 500mm lenses and the conspiracist in me thinks it was something to do with the press guys not happy they weren't the only ones getting decent shots
John

Ive been to Silverstone a lot and been moved on from the loop numerous times and been informed by marshals that Race control spotted me on the CCTV and radios for them to move me on. Its not out of the question that press would want to protect their position (I have come across this once or twice) but in my experience they tend to be extremely courteous and often move out of the way of spectators, rather than grass them up.

Its most likely that they (Silverstone) deem the moto gp bikes dangerous enough to move spectators back from the fences - given that the inside of village is not technically a spectator area. If your friends have 500mm lenses I don't think they will suffer anywhere :) who needs to see how many nostril hairs Rossi has anyway ;)

*edit as Andy says if its G4S moving you, that's different to the Marshals

Last edited:
Don't know Silverstone & sorry to hear you got messed about. These are nice quality shots.

nice shots.
Ive been to Silverstone countless times and never been allowed to stand there at any event. so you did well to get there for 1 hr

I work at Silverstone occasionally and have seen G4S move on photographers without bibs but also seen the officials turn a blind eye. It depends on how regularly they do thier checks..........I don't believe it is anything to do with race control or the Marshalls as they only have the authority to stop you going beyond the fence or getting in thier way.

I work at Silverstone occasionally and have seen G4S move on photographers without bibs but also seen the officials turn a blind eye. It depends on how regularly they do thier checks..........I don't believe it is anything to do with race control or the Marshalls as they only have the authority to stop you going beyond the fence or getting in thier way.

I have friends who marshal there and they have been told to move togs on by race control at the loop. You usually only get moved by marshals anywhere else if you duck the hand rail and try and get right up to the fence

Thanks everyone for your comments,
I guess the fundamental question for me is still why do they put a photographers window in the fence promoting that particular spot and then refuse to let you use it :bat: , I have emailed Silverstone asking what their policy is but am not expecting a reply.

Good set John Know what you mean about security :bang:

A nice set of photos given the circumstances.I to had some issues but I must say the men at G4S are very nice & I was not doing anything wrong.....they just got confused as to why I had a bigger lens than the media togs & I got invited into an out of bounds area, before getting kicked out several hours later area:LOL::LOL::LOL::D.

Now I am not in the office, I'll offer this advice...

You can make these looks loads better by a little PS tweaking..

Set the black point (use the levels too, choose the black dropper, click on the darkest bit of the subject) and then add some saturation and vibrance, perhaps +4 or 5 to both.

Then you get like this:

crutchy2.jpg

Also, calibrate your screen - can be tricky on a laptop mind you, but well worth it.

Hope this helps - your shots here could shine loads more than they do now IMHO

Now I am not in the office, I'll offer this advice...

You can make these looks loads better by a little PS tweaking..

Set the black point (use the levels too, choose the black dropper, click on the darkest bit of the subject) and then add some saturation and vibrance, perhaps +4 or 5 to both.

Then you get like this:

crutchy2.jpg

Also, calibrate your screen - can be tricky on a laptop mind you, but well worth it.

Hope this helps - your shots here could shine loads more than they do now IMHO
Thanks for that, new to PP, I knew it needed something but was only messing around with the contrast which of course was affecting everything , appreciate the time you have taken to help (y)

Back