MotoGP - Silverstone 2021

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

First post in a few years due to not being able to get to motorsport events - something do with a virus going around. Last event I posted was WEC at Silverstone in 2019.

As I have said before, I class myself as a complete novice when it comes to photography, it's something I'm keen to learn more about and over the summer of this year I have learned a lot from YouTube videos and articles online - however I still want to learn more. These pictures probably aren't the best, but I think they're a very slight improvement from 2019 (here is the thread link for comparison: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/wec-at-silverstone-2019.700796/#post-8512824). My camera is a Canon 1300D and the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens. I do want to upgrade to the Sigma 150-600mm as I have heard good things about it.

Please, any feedback you can give me with regards to camera settings, shutter speeds etc would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4734
by Ryan Smith, on Flickr

IMG_5067
by Ryan Smith, on Flickr

IMG_5330
by Ryan Smith, on Flickr

IMG_5487
by Ryan Smith, on Flickr

IMG_5494
by Ryan Smith, on Flickr

IMG_5642
by Ryan Smith, on Flickr

IMG_5228
by Ryan Smith, on Flickr

I like them but for me they seem a little on the dark side almost like they need a boost with the levels slider in post, they are sharp but why not try using shutter priority, TV on Canon, and set your shutter speed to 1/200 and see how that goes. Also try a different corner to get some more head on or from the other side of the bike (saying that I am not familiar with Silverstone).
For me the first one is the pick :)

My advice; go to the club meetings at the smaller circuits and practice your craft there. You will be able to get a lot closer to the track, there is a limited amount of fencing, and the crowds are a lot smaller as well, so it makes moving around a lot easier.

I like them but for me they seem a little on the dark side almost like they need a boost with the levels slider in post, they are sharp but why not try using shutter priority, TV on Canon, and set your shutter speed to 1/200 and see how that goes. Also try a different corner to get some more head on or from the other side of the bike (saying that I am not familiar with Silverstone).
For me the first one is the pick :)

I found a lot of what I took was dark however on the preview on the camera it looked perfect. The ISO was set at 100/200 for most shots and 1/500 and f/5.6. Still trying to understand it all. We were moving around the track, however I feel quite limited with the lens I've got as I like to try and take shots that fill the frame. Here are some more from different parts of the track.

IMG_4963
by Ryan Smith, on Flickr

IMG_5691
by Ryan Smith, on Flickr

IMG_4954
by Ryan Smith, on Flickr

My advice; go to the club meetings at the smaller circuits and practice your craft there. You will be able to get a lot closer to the track, there is a limited amount of fencing, and the crowds are a lot smaller as well, so it makes moving around a lot easier.

This is definitely on the to do list for next year. Is there any circuits in particular that you would recommend?

I found a lot of what I took was dark however on the preview on the camera it looked perfect. The ISO was set at 100/200 for most shots and 1/500 and f/5.6. Still trying to understand it all. We were moving around the track, however I feel quite limited with the lens I've got as I like to try and take shots that fill the frame. Here are some more from different parts of the track.

This is definitely on the to do list for next year. Is there any circuits in particular that you would recommend?

There is a website called Piston Click that has list of some Race Circuits round the country plus ideas on where to get the best shots from, worth a look.
Other than that look for any circuits, they usually have an event guide somewhere on the website, find something you like and go for it :)

I can see why you think "you feel restricted" with your current lens but you can always crop in (post) a little more and not loose detail a 300mm lens is decent length for many circuits around the place.

Oulton Park is good (I would say that as it is close) where a 300mm lens will get you close to the action.

As for the image "looked OK on the camera screen" don't forget that if you are shooting RAW then the camera will give you a in camera processed JPEG image so you can check things like exposure and composition (good old "chimping" something I don't generally do, but should) but the RAW will be a flat unprocessed file so you make it look as you want in post :)

It's often better to shoot through the fence rather than from the stands - especially with bikes being so small, you need to be as close as possible really.
I wrote a guide to Silverstone which is on here in the tutorial section or here if you don't want to look: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9...Rlk/view?resourcekey=0-LBtIvv71TOlozubDBk9z1Q

With a crop body and a 300mm lens, it's quite possible to get frame-filling images - this one through the fence at 400mm on a full-frame (you were shooting the equivalent of 420mm)

Jorge Lorenzo - Yamaha by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Agree with all the above, Silverstone is as tough as it gets for motorsport photography IMO, especially in dull conditions which most of the MotoGP weekend was.
Club meetings at the likes of Snetterton, Oulton Park, Cadwell Park will give you far better options without the catch fencing, as well as plenty of different angles, then its simply a case of practice, practice, practice and experimenting with different shutter speeds, starting around 1/320 1/250 and work your way down (y)

Back