MotoGP Silverstone - Hard work but was it worth it?

Edit My Images
No
Hey all,

I hope you all enjoyed the GP last weekend, I certainly did from a fans point of view, but I found the photography very hard going!

I found the bright sunlight and fences a tricky combo to combat :bang:

Here are a few of my shots, I would welcome your thoughts! (p.s im lacking some pack shots because I had no choice in where we watched the race from on Sunday! Nuff said :)

P.S was good bumping in to Gary, hope you did better than me mate!

Marc Marquez - Honda RC213V - Repsol Honda Team by Polarity Photo, on Flickr

Jorge Lorenzo #99 - Yamaha YZR-M1 - Yamaha Factory Racing by Polarity Photo, on Flickr

Cal Crutchlow #35 - Yamaha YZR-M1 - Monster Yamaha Tech3 by Polarity Photo, on Flickr

Nicky Hayden #69 - Ducati Desmosedici GP13 - Ducati Team by Polarity Photo, on Flickr

Valentino Rossi #46 - Yamaha YZR-M1 - Yamaha Factory Racing by Polarity Photo, on Flickr

Andrea Iannone #29 - Ducati Desmosedici GP13 - Pramac Racing by Polarity Photo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great set lovin the lean angle on #2 (y):clap:

Brilliant shots!

These wouldn't look amiss in the MCN sports section (y)

If I'd taken no5 it would be a large print on my garage wall!

Last edited:
Looks like you were sat on my lap taking some of these a couple look nearly identical... Except it looks like you are a lot better at processing than i am. :razz: Nice work, Marquez my favourite.

Great set. Colours and sharpness are spot on. #4, #5, #7 & #8.(y)

Thanks Neil very much appreciated.
Great set lovin the lean angle on #2 (y):clap:

Yeah I love the lean angle on this, typical Jorge smooth style.

well, I think they are stunning shots. fence and light combated and beaten!!

Thank you very much, there were plenty of shots where the fence beat me! But these are a few that scrubbed up ok. I still have a few more to go through so im hoping to find some other decent ones.

Brilliant shots!

These wouldn't look amiss in the MCN sports section (y)

If I'd taken no5 it would be a large print on my garage wall!

Now that is high praise indeed! I like the idea of printing the rossi one, I was thinking of making a montage including some decent stuff I got of him from the day of champions.

nice pics do you go to the bsb as well

Yes I do, I might go to Silverstone but I will deffo be at the brands final.

Looks like you were sat on my lap taking some of these a couple look nearly identical... Except it looks like you are a lot better at processing than i am. :razz: Nice work, Marquez my favourite.

Its quite possible! The rossi one where he is leaning over and taking the right hander was taken at the cut out on the outside of the track on Friday. There were already 3 gentleman in front of me so I sneaked a few from behind them then walked of to try and get lucky through the fence (which is when I snagged the marquez shot). I was actually standing up on the bank hand holding the camera and lens for that one, so it was pretty lucky.

Being critical of my own work, I think the obvious omission is some pack shots showing the race story and perhaps a little bit more movement in the shots using slower shutters.

Fantastic set, looks like you'll be hooked on getting a big prime:D You've done very well with these as a 500mm is not the easiest of lenses to use especially when trying to pan a motorcycle at 120mph:clap:Have viewed these full size on your flickr page and they are all spot on(y)Was great to catch up & looks like you took on board all my advise as these are better than mine:p

They are a good series of "portraits". The "movement" is ok IMHO.
However in line with your above post I am not seeing any competion or actual racing.

(I do shoot motor sport, but not a lot of motorcycle racing)

I agree I think that the pack shots or race shots are lacking. But having followed me round all weekend, the mrs chose where we watched the race from so I was limited to the exit of village b.

Plus it was nice to put the camera down after a few laps and enjoy the race from the grandstand.

well worth I would have said, getting pack shots on race day at Silverstone is not a easy task and to be honest i think you did the right thing in watching the racing.

IMHO plenty of movement in 4 & 7
thanks very much. Im glad I watched the race, village b was a great spot and had a great atmosphere.

Fantastic set, looks like you'll be hooked on getting a big prime:D You've done very well with these as a 500mm is not the easiest of lenses to use especially when trying to pan a motorcycle at 120mph:clap:Have viewed these full size on your flickr page and they are all spot on(y)Was great to catch up & looks like you took on board all my advise as these are better than mine:p

Cheers Gary, appreciate your tips on the day and was good to catch up.

I would love a prime. Not sure whether to go 300 2.8, 400 2.8 or 500 f4. Leaning towards the 500 :)

#8 of Rossi is pretty tasty (y)

#6 is waaay too tight In the frame and #1 needs the rest of the front wheel imho to work.

Not much wrong with the others though, nice job!

I would love a prime. Not sure whether to go 300 2.8, 400 2.8 or 500 f4. Leaning towards the 500 :)

Oh and I meant to say about this.... 300 2.8, every time - unless you plan to shoot wildlife.

I've got access to that and a 500 f4, the 500 f4 only comes out very rarely - Silverstone for bikes mainly!

Oh and I meant to say about this.... 300 2.8, every time - unless you plan to shoot wildlife.

I've got access to that and a 500 f4, the 500 f4 only comes out very rarely - Silverstone for bikes mainly!

Thanks for the feedback on the photos much appreciated. Il keep trying to improve and maybe one day il be the same side of the fence as you!

Would the 300 not end up a bit short for bikes? (It would be fine for cars). I was concerned that I would be using it with a 1.4x or 2x all day long.

I currently use a sigma 120-300 and I usually have a tc on for bikes.

Apologies if there is a better thread to be asking!

The 300 is the best choice because its short actually - having a couple of TC's in your pocket is the easiest way to carry a range of focal lengths whilst having awesome glass.

Its also a massively sharp, fast focusing lens - Canon or Nikon, pretty much nothing else comes close from their lens range for motorsport.

Most BSB weekends, I'm only carrying the 300 plus a 1.4x and a 1.7x - the rest of the gear gets left behind... oh and usually I'm not much closer than the public too...

The 300 is the best choice because its short actually - having a couple of TC's in your pocket is the easiest way to carry a range of focal lengths whilst having awesome glass.

Its also a massively sharp, fast focusing lens - Canon or Nikon, pretty much nothing else comes close from their lens range for motorsport.

Most BSB weekends, I'm only carrying the 300 plus a 1.4x and a 1.7x - the rest of the gear gets left behind... oh and usually I'm not much closer than the public too...

Hmmm very interesting. I do find myself using the tc on my lens which I why I thought having a prime longer than 300 would suit me. Maybe the 400 is the middle ground? Or is that not as good as the 300?

Either way I will be looking to pair it with a 70-200

The four is nice don't get me wrong but if I had one the three would still be my go to

I do agree with Andy , I had a 400mm F2.8 for 3ish years till I sold it early this year and got a 300mm f2.8 instead. It just as good as the 300mm in focusing speed and IQ and it is better for subject isolation.
But for me it was the size/weight that was the drawback and its all front heavy. A monopod is a must with the 400, I used a monopod belt holder thingy and I did get use to the panning with one, but its easier with the 300mm
While I do miss it for the long head shots I wouldn't go back. Just find it easier and more enjoyable with a 300. I suppose the answer is to have both :eek:

Just thinking about maybe getting a new lens. I have 70-200mm f2.8 which is great but am thinking it is too short for bikes, i have a 2x extender but it is a bit hit & miss with it tbh. Good to see this thread & the comments about the 300mm f.2.8, this is the lens that's about 3k used yea ? Col

Great shots btw soz :)

I do agree with Andy , I had a 400mm F2.8 for 3ish years till I sold it early this year and got a 300mm f2.8 instead. It just as good as the 300mm in focusing speed and IQ and it is better for subject isolation.
But for me it was the size/weight that was the drawback and its all front heavy. A monopod is a must with the 400, I used a monopod belt holder thingy and I did get use to the panning with one, but its easier with the 300mm
While I do miss it for the long head shots I wouldn't go back. Just find it easier and more enjoyable with a 300. I suppose the answer is to have both :eek:

Thanks thats really helpful. I might start a thread up on the subject but the main issue I have is that I plan to get a 70-200 f2.8 which with a 1.4x TC would cover the 300mm range for me. So I was thinking either a 400 or 500 to compliment it.

Unless the 300 really beat a 70-200 +tc and if its performance with a 2x was really good.

Tough choice!

Just thinking about maybe getting a new lens. I have 70-200mm f2.8 which is great but am thinking it is too short for bikes, i have a 2x extender but it is a bit hit & miss with it tbh. Good to see this thread & the comments about the 300mm f.2.8, this is the lens that's about 3k used yea ? Col
Glad its been helpful, im still deciding myself. Yes approx 3k used depending on its condition and age etc.
Stunning set great action shots and superb colours

Cheers Gaza very kind of you to say so.

Thanks thats really helpful. I might start a thread up on the subject but the main issue I have is that I plan to get a 70-200 f2.8 which with a 1.4x TC would cover the 300mm range for me. So I was thinking either a 400 or 500 to compliment it.

Unless the 300 really beat a 70-200 +tc and if its performance with a 2x was really good.

Tough choice

Easy choice.... the 70-200 2.8 (Canon or Nikon) is fantastic but not fantastic with a TC on it. The only things you want to stick TC's on are primes.

The kit you are trying to get to is a 70-200 2.8, a 300 2.8 and a 1.4xTC.

Its the standard motorsport kit bag, its what everyone uses just some come to it having tried for themselves all the other stuff in the process (y)

Easy choice.... the 70-200 2.8 (Canon or Nikon) is fantastic but not fantastic with a TC on it. The only things you want to stick TC's on are primes.

The kit you are trying to get to is a 70-200 2.8, a 300 2.8 and a 1.4xTC.

Its the standard motorsport kit bag, its what everyone uses just some come to it having tried for themselves all the other stuff in the process (y)

That will do for me mate

Do you not find that you want to go longer than 420mm? I like using a 2x on my 120-300 and have had some decent results with it. But I would prefer to get there without having to use a 2x

But then you are limited at the wide end. Better to shoot wide and crop than not fit it in the frame.

I mean sure if I had unlimited cash and a caddy to carry my gear, fantastic but going out with the tools for a flexible shoot....

But then you are limited at the wide end. Better to shoot wide and crop than not fit it in the frame.

I mean sure if I had unlimited cash and a caddy to carry my gear, fantastic but going out with the tools for a flexible shoot....

Well, ive decided to hire the 300 for th3 bsb final at brands. Theres nothing like trying them out ;)

Some very nice shots, no some Fantastic shots. What body & lens did you use to get such good results?
I echo one of the other comments, I would have some of these up on the wall already. Well done great work.

Some very nice shots, no some Fantastic shots. What body & lens did you use to get such good results?
I echo one of the other comments, I would have some of these up on the wall already. Well done great work. Great angle for #6

I echo one of the other comments, I would have some of these up on the wall already. Well done great work. Great angle for #6

Thanks Duncan thats very kind. My motogp shots were all taken with a 7d and canon 500mm f4 (sometimes with a 1.4x tc attached)

Pretty much all my bsb and wsb stuff is using a sigma 120-300 and tcs.

Back