Motorbikes

My biking life started when I was 11 years old on a Greeves just like the one in Serows picture,I had 3 of them 2 Scottish and an Anglian,then bought a Yamaha TY 175 trials bike and competed in schoolboy trials riding in a couple of british championship rounds.The TY went in part ex for a Bultaco Sherpa 250 and at 17 I discovered beer and women so the trials got kicked into touch and a Suzuki TS250 ER was bought.That was written off about 18 months later and i bought a Suzuki X7,next on the list a Yamaha RD 350 LC ,that lasted 4 weeks before it got stolen so another one was bought with the insurance.Six months later While in Hospital recovering from an operation to pin my wrist back together after a car pulled out on me I decided to give bikes a break for a while.1999 and the itch came back so i bought a Honda Blackbird,you know something nice and steady to ease back into it,That was traded in 12 months later for a Kawasaki ZX 12R what a machine, saw 197 mph on the speedo of that one,(on a private road of course :naughty:) that was killed one Sunday Morning up near Helmsley when someone lost control of an MV Augusta f4 on a bend and ran into me writing it off and breaking my jaw.Next up was this

IMG_0035_zpse4f5ef2e.jpg

had that for 5 years and did 45,000 miles on it, I absolutely loved that bike but it had to go to make way for this

IMG_0070_zpscfdf7d89.jpg

worst mistake I ever made, initially I liked it but as time went by I grew to hate it and questioned if I was actually falling out with biking or just the bike until I took a test ride on my current bike this work of art

IMG_7311.jpg

awesome bike,bit expensive to run but absolutely fantastic to ride.

as well as the road bikes I also have this

250809_2367.jpg

a GSXR 1000 K2 track bike,dont get to ride it much these days and thinking about selling it to fund a 300 f2.8L

The Mrs also rides shes had a CG 125,ER-5 600 Fazer, R6 and now she rides this

stuff117.jpg

GSXR 750

Hi ya matey.....though I recognised those leathers & the shed...not the duke I hasten to say :wave:

This thread makes me sad. Had to sell my bike earlier this year, as no longer needed for commute and couldn't afford to keep as a toy :(

So here's the ex, 2005 ZX6r

Ninja by Jonjay3100, on Flickr

And my first bike 1999 SV650

SV by Jonjay3100, on Flickr

Thought I'd join :)

Started riding about 12 years ago...the list so far....

1st Bike...Dark green Kawasaki ER5...before I found photography so no piccies but boy did I love this ickle bike

Triumph TT600 in Blue & Silver...again before I found photography

Triumph Speed 4 in Black....still not found photography

Triumph Daytona 600 in Yellow....still not in to photography but there's a pattern in my liking of certain bikes here !

Change of scene next...

Suzuki K5 750 in yellow & black...flipping beast , physically way to big n heavy for me

Suzuki K6 600 in Black....loved it right up to the point the complete exhaust system went pop 2 weeks before TT :bang:
P1040001.JPG

Bye bye Suzuki & hello....

Triumph Street Triple....
new_baby_004.jpg

& now on a Triumph Street Triple R in graphite grey...no piccies as yet....I kinda like Trumpets :D

Used to ride all the time , 1st few bikes saw 15thou miles each year , these days I don't do winter riding & since I found photography I'm riding less n less but wouldn't be without a bike ...especially for my annual trips to the Isle of Man (y)

The Ninja and Ducati are beautiful :eek:

Are any of you still riding at this time of year? this is my first year on the bike and I had to take last week off the bike but I'm back on this week.

dont be crazy, i have a car for winter :LOL: in all honesty both my bikes haven't been used this year, well the road bandit has done maximum 40 miles all year and the track bike nothing at all.

This is getting better and better. Biker brothers and sisters everywhere. :D:D:D:D:D

I have a klv1000 but I'm waiting on the bike shop to phone me tomorrow hopefully to tell me the finance has passed and your ktm 990 adventure is ready for collection

Great thread :)

There's some fantastic bikes amongst this lot.

I've been riding for 6 or 7 years. My family are or have been bikers but my Dad would never let me have one after his best mate was killed on a bike. The time eventually came for me to realize my dream and pass my test. Each of my early bikes only held my attention for 6 months before they got traded for the next one:

Honda 600 Hornet
Honda VFR 800
Beta Alp 4.0 (kept for a while)
Honda CBR 600FS

I put a deposit down on an Aprilia Shiver but during the 2 week wait for it to be delivered I went to the launch night of this:

CB1000R LP lq by Mark Guppy, on Flickr

.........and fell in love. I've had it for 4 years now and it's a keeper. Next bike is a KTM 990SMT............

Last edited:
Don't use her as much as I should but wouldn't be without her.

Bike-1.jpg

stunner Brash :D going all dewy eyed now at the loss of my mates Intruder :crying: Loved that bike and even have it in oils on canvas as a reminder :)

Ya know, it doesn't surprise me that so many people who take photographs love their bikes aswell. Bikes are things of true beauty, and inspire affection and sometimes even love. A bit like guitars really, in my mind a guitar is beautiful, the form, the different shapes, the incredible sounds that eminate from the amplifiers. How can a few bits of wood, some electronics and some wire be so beautiful. As a bike, some metal, some plastic, some rubber, put together in the right way and the majesty springs forth.

so true :D

I was given this picture by my first girlfriends Dad.

It belonged to an American pal of his. I've no idea what the Yanks made of a Vincent ;)

1950s Custom Vincent by simon ess, on Flickr

My father rode one of these in his youth,I have several pictures of it somewhere.

Crying shame that one has been butchered like that.

Had bikes for over 40 years, this was the last one, prior to a wee argument with a lorry:crying:

DSC00533.jpg

stunner Brash :D going all dewy eyed now at the loss of my mates Intruder :crying: Loved that bike and even have it in oils on canvas as a reminder :)

Thanks Carol(y) Mine's not an Indruder tho;)

Currently have a Kwak ZX12r in west colours, faster than a fast thing, as well as a TL1000R which needs some TLC

first there was the GN125:
7333888720_aa33cb1b3a_b.jpg

then as soon as I passed my test I bought:
8140104088_2ae8dafc67_o.jpg

7965127154_275e181764_c.jpg

Not stopped riding this year, love it too much, wife thinks I love the bike more than her.

Ill play ^_^

my current ride gixer 750 l1 with my dads k9

540593_3919619833372_1365830343_3554852_28900452_n.jpg

my race bike :D can't wait to start again lack of funds haha aiming to race the TT soon as I can

9917_1256961548579_1365830343_744203_686639_n.jpg

my fireblade

ScreenShot2011-10-05at172652 by Tom Steele Wildlife Photography, on Flickr

ScreenShot2011-10-05at172626 by Tom Steele Wildlife Photography, on Flickr

signed by the legend that is Ian hutchinson honda did 20 of them as a ltd edition to commemorate his 5 out of 5 tt wins in a week :D

also got an rd 250 lc and a rd350lc nearly finished a full restoration on them both to new old stock standard :D

loving the vanvan, are they any good off road? Kinda always assumed they were more sand/beach biased?

loving the vanvan, are they any good off road? Kinda always assumed they were more sand/beach biased?
The Van Van is very good off road - obviously not in the same ball park as a dedicated off roader but I have had mine in some pretty rough places and survived

I love the little bike I use it as a fun bike in good weather in the winter time it is tucked away in the garage
but when the good weather comes I am out going up every green lane and crossing the moors etc

the engine is a bit gutless but other than that I love it

well the Ducati had to go,contrary to what they tell you they are'nt as cheap to service as a jap bike,nowhere near, and its being replaced with this in a couple of weeks

MynewR1_zps753f6d73.png

Forget a ducati! Over priced and expensive to maintain!!!

Forget a ducati! Over priced and expensive to maintain!!!

tell me about it,£500 for a belt service and £350 for an interim,as well as the fact I have to take it on a 120 mile round trip to get it serviced,but when they are running well they are stunning bikes to ride.

Just because

cropped.jpg

And now I am old and the arthritis does not let me have any gfun any more I have this and love it

media5.jpg

Haynes manual

Cheapest service you'll ever buy

they dont do one for the Ducati 1098 and even if they did you cant tension the belts at home without the special tools.apparently they tension them like tuning a guitar string,hold a microphone up to them plugged into an ossiloscope (however you spell it) and read the note they make when they ping them :shrug:

they dont do one for the Ducati 1098 and even if they did you cant tension the belts at home without the special tools.apparently they tension them like tuning a guitar string,hold a microphone up to them plugged into an ossiloscope (however you spell it) and read the note they make when they ping them :shrug:

This is very true

Back