Motorbikes

Admin #1

Edit My Images
No
So, finally MOD 2 tests are being restarted here in Wales. Mine was supposed to be on March 23rd, so was cancelled as we went into lockdown. Today I got my new date so shortly I’ll buy my next bike.

It will either be the Suzuki V-Strom 650XT or the Triumph Tiger 800 XRX.

The Tiger is a lot pricier but comes with the toys (heated grips, cruise control, TFT display). For a more powerful and bigger engined bike it also is lighter than the Suzuki. If I buy it before the end of August it will also come with £1700 of extras.

Anyone got any experience of either of the above?

Not my type of bike but I do know that they're much of a muchness. I'd see which fitted better and felt nicest to ride. If you think the "free" extras that'll be chucked into the deal with the Trump will be of use, then let that affect the decision but I know that a fair few Tiger accessories are being heavily discounted at the moment.

Good luck with the test.

Tiger 800 every time, very versatile from ride on a sunny afternoon and LEJOG two up over 14 days. I love the way I can ride sedately enjoying the scenery, then open the throttle on the next bend and hear her growl as she makes rapid progress towards the next. I have a Bonneville also and an old GN250 but the Tiger is my favourite all rounder. Best of all is that after 8 hours in the saddle I do not walk like John Wayne. I am biased so you should try both for a good long ride... enjoy !

Well yesterday it got a bit more complicated. The Tiger 800 XRX was removed from the Triumph website. It is an outgoing model, and the replacement Tiger 900 is more expensive.
The 800 was particularly attractive with the free aluminium panniers, top box and other bits (stuff that I’d definitely use).
Speccing the 900 with the aluminium boxes is just going to be more than I want to pay.
So unless I can source an 800 XRX, it looks like I’ll be going with the V-Strom and adding some Givi or Shad bits to it.
Of course I’ll take both out before finally deciding.

I have resisted riding the new 900, mostly because those of my fellow riders that have ended buying one !

The Tiger 800 XRX was removed from the Triumph website. It is an outgoing model, and the replacement Tiger 900 is more expensive.

Have you looked dealer websites or contacted any to see if there are still any in stock? Normally discontinued models are removed by manufacturers before the remaining stock has cleared.

You clearly want the Tiger, and if if comes with a full set of luggage which you will need to add to the Suzuki, so that will make a reasonable reduction in the price difference. And if you are planning to buy new then I assume you want a bike so live with for a long time. So if it is the one you really want and it feels comfortable, and you can actually afford it, then the higher price will be worth it to avid the constant regret of compromising. So get the Tiger.

On the issue of buying new, this came up recently on another forum. My position always was that if you buy something new then you have to deal with the effort of breaking it in and, often, the various warranty repairs to get in in perfect road condition.

Better to let someone else go through all that, and it seemed most others felt the same way. Thankfully not everyone, as the market needs people willing to spend their time and money to prepare bikes for it. So I would either recommend low mileage used, or thank you for your sacrifice.

Maybe.

Makes total sense, as you know that as soon you drive a new bike or car off a forecourt you lose a lot of money.

But...the thought of having something that only I have ever owned is a lure.
Yes I know what you mean there’s something special about getting a brand new bike , I bought my Kawasaki Z750 new in 2007 . I still have it and haven’t seen anything that I would replace it with

I had a 2016 Tiger 800 ( a ‘Roadie’? ) with an Arrows can which sounded nice, I hated the front suspension though. Tried different springs and oils but it never felt ‘right’ to me. Great engine, very smoooth.

Enjoy!

my friend has a 600 vstrom...he raves about it,comfy and great on juice,trust me not many myself included can keep up with him on twisty roads...

I test rode the V-Strom 650 today. Lovely bike to ride.
I then went to see the Kawasaki Versys 650, but didn’t like it in the flesh.
Tomorrow will be the day I test ride a Tiger 900.
Then it will be decision time!

Tiger?

70 plate? Did you get to choose the number from a list?

Yep, I ordered a Tiger 900 GT, with engine bars, tank bars, aluminium top box. Should get it September 1st.

Congrats, 23 days, 552 hours, 33,120 minutes or 1,987,200 seconds. I’m sure it’ll pass in no time :)

It looks nice, what colour?

Congrats, 23 days, 552 hours, 33,120 minutes or 1,987,200 seconds. I’m sure it’ll pass in no time :)

It looks nice, what colour?

White. The red was a £100 more with a longer lead time. As I already have a black bike I fancied a change.

Congrats on the new bike, I’m a big fan of Triumph. Never owned or ridden the 800or 900 but had the Tiger 1050 and Sprint ST 1050 and both were cracking bikes.

Every time I pass our local Triumph dealer I keep fancying a go on the new Rocket but I’ve not even had my current bike a year yet and don’t want to be tempted by something else ;)

Loving my 2006 z750, no idea why someone would want to spend vast sums on new motorbikes when there are so many stunning machines for buttons out there.
my z750 just gets smoother and better year on year.

z750.jpg

Loving my 2006 z750, no idea why someone would want to spend vast sums on new motorbikes when there are so many stunning machines for buttons out there.

View attachment 289456

Thanks for the dig.
The Tiger 900 is so new, there are hardly any pre-owned models out there. I just looked on autotrader. Along side the dealer listings for new bikes, there are TWO used in the U.K., a GT Pro and a Rally Pro. Both are listed for more than I paid for mine.

Last edited:

View attachment 289456

Yes agree it’s not necessary to get a new bike , I love my 2007 z750 to bits it’s amazing and haven’t found anything that I’d replace it with
Bikes nowadays are really well built I think the engine in my Z will last for ever
On the other hand why not treat yourself to a brand new bike if you want life’s too short, I bought my Z new it’s just that I’ve not wanted to change it for something else, there’s no point

Thanks for the dig.
The Tiger 900 is so new, there are hardly any pre-owned models out there. I just looked on autotrader. Along side the dealer listings for pre-owned bikes, there are TWO used in the U.K., a GT Pro and a Rally Pro. Both are listed for more than I paid for mine.
Nothing wrong with buying a new bike, car or whatever you want. Life's for living and if it brings you pleasure to buy a new bike then why not. I like bargains as much as the next person, but on the flip side I like to treat myself now and again. That being said I bought my Hog new and it cost me £250 more than a two year old used one, and of course got 2 years warranty. Some times there are good deals on new, especially if a new model is around the corner, and if buying on finance you often get better rates.

I hope you're happy with your new bike, just take it steady. Are you planning on taking it off road? I had the last of the air cooled BMW R1200GS Adventures but I never took it off road, too expensive to drop ;)

Nothing wrong with buying a new bike, car or whatever you want. Life's for living and if it brings you pleasure to buy a new bike then why not. I like bargains as much as the next person, but on the flip side I like to treat myself now and again. That being said I bought my Hog new and it cost me £250 more than a two year old used one, and of course got 2 years warranty. Some times there are good deals on new, especially if a new model is around the corner, and if buying on finance you often get better rates.

I hope you're happy with your new bike, just take it steady. Are you planning on taking it off road? I had the last of the air cooled BMW R1200GS Adventures but I never took it off road, too expensive to drop ;)

No plans to take it off-road. The 900 range is split into road-focused and off-road-focused models; I ordered one from the road-focused part of the range. The 900 Rally and Rally Pro are taller, have different suspension with longer travel, wire wheels and engine bars.

View attachment 289456

Each time I scan the Forum titles and see this thread I think back to my childhood. It’s a popular thread and I wondered where it was up to,so I took a look ..goodness knows why...and saw this photo bringing back those memories.

No amount of reassurance or persuasion would get me on one and here’s why. When I was about 5/6 years old we lived at one end of a tight S-bend and every so often there’d be a motorcyclist that would come off negotiating it but one day we heard a loud bang. Shortly afterwards I heard terrible screaming..a female voice, then quiet. It made such an impression on me that I can recall/hear it now and not only that but what I said to my mum. ” she’s stopped screaming” my mum said.” That’s because the doctor’s arrived and given her a painkiller”. She had infact, died.

I had a friend who was a gifted footballer at 14 years old and was lined up for trials with Everton..we lived near Liverpool. One day he was riding pillion on a motorcycleI ..I’m sure it was a Tiger Cub..I recall that name..and it was being driven by a lad who had a reputation as being a bit reckless on it...if you can be ‘’a bit’ reckless. He was reckless. One day, with my friend riding pillion he took it into the same bend too fast, lost control and they collided with the lamppost there. The injuries sustained by my friend..a shortened leg..cost him his footballing career.

My uncle had a scooter and ,against my better judgement took me out on it. I was about 13..I was terrified. I recall him shouting to me to ‘lean over on the bend” I remained bolt upright. At 18 I bought a car.

Despite all this I saw a Harley- Davidson parked at the side of the road at Bristol airport perimeter fence where I was photographing planes several years ago , I assume the owner was too... It was impressive and immaculate so I took a photo of it, I still have it in my Lightroom..to send to a US friend in AZ who loves bikes. He was very impressed.

Maybe it‘s the above experiences that makes me vigilant at junctions before I pull out and never try to do a quick ‘get out’ onto a main road with a motorcycle or cyclist,for that matter, approaching...and look directly at them so they know I’ve seen them They must appreciate it as I sometimes get a ‘thank you’’ gesture.

Last edited:
Back