Motorbikes

What could you do that would make any difference to anyone or anything?

I learned many years ago to leave ego at home and get home safe.

I don’t agree. I submitted the video to the police, then called the company to tell them.

I'm not sure what you're not agreeing with here.

You did what you did. Good for you.

I was disagreeing with assertion that nothing could be done that would make a difference.

Maybe I misunderstood your meaning.

I just have zero tolerance for that kind of behaviour. I’m a big fan of Operation Snap.

yes I do mine as well modern bikes are actually easy to look after even changing the coolant on my Kawasaki Z750 was an easy job and the oil and filter is easy too
the valve clearance on modern bikes rarely needs adjustment
I was considering a Ducati Diavel until I discovered the 18000 mile valve service costs £1800 :oops: :$

I shall be doing all my own servicing and maintenance as far as possible.

Every 16000 miles on mine, so I'm about a year away yet.

Valve clearance on my old Triumphs was a lot easier - a couple of spanners and feeler gauges. 1/2 hour tops. On this bike you have to remove the tank and airbox and various other bits, measure the clearance, order the necessary shims then reassemble.
Yes that’s true if any valve adjustment is needed it isn’t easy for a home mechanic to do
In the past on different Japanese bikes when I’ve checked it’s never needed adjustment
I’ve also had bikes with the screw and locknut adjustment it is easy to do just needs doing more often

Yes that’s true if any valve adjustment is needed it isn’t easy for a home mechanic to do
In the past on different Japanese bikes when I’ve checked it’s never needed adjustment
I’ve also had bikes with the screw and locknut adjustment it is easy to do just needs doing more often
The last valve job I did was a Honda CBX 1000.....24 valves o_O

Had a bit of motorbike drama yesterday. Woke up to missed calls and text messages from my dad and from BikeTrac who I've got a tracking device through. Normally they're all false positives - me knocking the bike accidentally or the wind giving my bike a big shake or something similar but given the call from BikeTrac was at 4 in the morning, something didn't quite ring true and so I ran outside to discover my Triumph Tiger 900 was no longer there. :oops: :$

Immediately rang up Biketrac and the police to report the theft and checked the app to see where it was, which turned out to be only a few miles up the road. To cut a long story short, the police turned up at the address fairly quickly (within 40 minutes of me reporting it) and found the bike in the backgarden of the address along with a scooter that I'm guessing was stolen as well.

The bike was rertrieved by the police and the shop I bought it from are going to pick it up to take a look. There's a bit of damage but not too much, hopefully within my budget to fix as I've got a few years no claims and would rather keep those for something big.

So bit of a crap start to the day yesterday but thank f*** I had a tracker installed otherwise I'd never have seen the bike again.

Do you guys use your phone for Sat navigation on the bike?
i use a garmin 590LM for navigation, i use myrouteapp to work out routes then upload the gpx files and use the cable to move them to the satnav ( basecamp is the work of the devil, i took the time to learn how to use it but its so counter intuitive i just use myroute), my phone is usualy in my pocket but on long journeys i stick it on the bars mainly to keep it charged up but also sometimes if im stuck with diversions il use google maps on it too as it shows up traffic delays . i dont just use it all the time as with google maps you can only have a small amount of waypoints so on long journeys i was having to break it down into sections

Since my riding is all for pleasure, I always know where I'm going and how to get there. If I do get caught out by unexpected road closures, I just wing it and head for a road I know. IF I was in need of GPS of some sort, I'd go for a separate satnav unit rather than risk all the eggs in the phone basket.

Since my riding is all for pleasure, I always know where I'm going and how to get there. If I do get caught out by unexpected road closures, I just wing it and head for a road I know. IF I was in need of GPS of some sort, I'd go for a separate satnav unit rather than risk all the eggs in the phone basket.
I know what you mean. I've managed without any kind of navigation on a bike for years, but you never know ;)

Im the same normally just go out for fun around north wales it doesn’t matter if I take a wrong turn normally come across a road I know
Different in the car though I always use the sat nav :oops: :$

The inevitable finally happened today - dropped the bike while turning in a carpark. I didn't pay enough attention to the slope in a gravel car park. Put my foot down and it slid away from me.

Small dent in exhaust, scratch to fairing panel and broken brake lever. Had to ride home with no front brake. Very bruised thumb but not too bad.

Two lads in a white van stopped to help me pick it up. Many thanks to them.

Hey ho! All part of life's rich tapestry.

The inevitable finally happened today - dropped the bike while turning in a carpark. I didn't pay enough attention to the slope in a gravel car park. Put my foot down and it slid away from me.

Small dent in exhaust, scratch to fairing panel and broken brake lever. Had to ride home with no front brake. Very bruised thumb but not too bad.

Two lads in a white van stopped to help me pick it up. Many thanks to them.

Hey ho! All part of life's rich tapestry.

There is always an audience ... happened to me in front of about 20 people a few years back!

Glad there is not too much damage.

Sorry to hear that, Simon. Battle scars are okay, but probably best not to have them given the choice. Nevertheless, sounds like it wasn't too much damage to you or the bike. This is one reason why I'm thinking of trading in the ZRX (it'll be next year now - after this year's financial melt-downs) - looking for something much lighter and easier to manoeuvre and pick up, if necessary.

looking for something much lighter and easier to manoeuvre and pick up, if necessary.
Cheers.

Once the thumb has healed up I'm going down to my local Honda dealer and test ride a Rebel 500. I can't quite get used to the height of this adventure style bike. Today's incident wouldn't have happened on a low bike.

The Rebel gets dismissed as a girl's bike or an old man's bike.

I might finally have to accept that I'm heading towards old man territory.

Booked in for the tattoo yet? :p

Go to mother-in-law or ride up onto the Moor?

Fleece under the leather, I reckon!

I've not been on my bike for over a week so planning on a wee razz tomorrow and Tuesday...might even take the camera , there's a lone tree at Llanberis I want to take a pic of but only really works in the winter when there's a bit of water in the lake

Back