Motorsport gear survey

Which camera body do you use for motorsport?

• Canon 1DX

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Canon 1D Mk4

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Canon 1D MkIII/IIN/II

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Other Canon

Votes: 56 52.3%
  • Nikon D4 or D800

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Nikon D3/D3S

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Nikon D300/D700

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Other Nikon

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
Name
Vlad
Edit My Images
Yes
Just talking to a friend about gear we see in use for motorsport and wanted to see if I can get some data to support an idea I have about it.

If your main/only photographic subject is motorsport and you do lots of it (ie more than a dozen shoots a year), please submit your choice, you can select more than one category if you use multiple bodies.

Oh and sorry non-Canon or Nikon users, feel free to post up what you use as a comment though.

Last edited:
Tsk too quick!

I have added the poll now!

Very interesting folks, keep it coming!

Guess which one i am :naughty: ,as if you dont know LOL.

Think i have done the complete list of Canon so far over the years bud.

Will be adding a 7D again next year as backup.

Hope your well mate (y)

Last edited:
Nikon D800 and D3 combo here.

At the last event I went to there were about 10 togs and I'll admit to having a quick glance at their cameras as I passed them. Only 2 of us shot Nikon and none of the Canon people had anything better than a 7D, most were using xxxD models and about half of them were using kit lenses (the other half had several L lenses each, there was no middle ground).

1D mk4 main body with a 7D for back up 'just in case'

.DAVID.

I think this is shaping up to prove my theory.... keep feeding me more data and I'll writeup my thoughts in a few days and see what you think :)

Body: canon 5D3
main lens: 70-200 f4 (until i can afford the 2.8)

I'm an outsider here

I use a Sony a580 with a sigma 120-400 and a Sony a550 with a sigma 70-200 2.8.

Have been using a 40D with a Tamron 28-300mm.
Now have a 5D3 with a Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, but not had a chance to use it yet.

If my 40D doesn't sell I may well just keep it to use as a backup as well.

Panasonic GH2
Canon fd mount Tokina 300mm f2.8 AT-X SD + 2XTC
Canon nfd 200mm f4
Canon fd 135mm f3.5 SSC
Panaleica 25mm f1.4
Olympus m Zuiko 45mm f1.8

I'm out in the cold, never mind an outsider :LOL:

Simon.

Canon 50D here... used to have a 1D MKII aswell, nearly always chose the 50D for motorsport because of the crop.

50D - Main
30D - Spare

Canon 100-400 F4-5.6L
Canon 70-200 F4L (used a lot less since the 100-400 replaced the 120-400)
Canon 24-105 f4L (not often used but sometimes comes along)

Bodies may change next year.....but that's very fluid right now

I don't do as much motorsport as I'd like, but:

Nikon D3.
70-200 f2.8 , 28-70 f2.8 for rallies.
The above + 600mm f4 for circuits
Now that I have a 300mm f2.8 I'll be using that for both, with and without a TC.

Canon 1D MKIIn (main body)
Canon 20D (2nd body just deceased :crying: )

Canon 300mm f2.8 (MKII 1.4 and 2x TC)
Canon 300mm f4
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS (MKI)

I can't vote in the poll.

Sony a900 + a700 (backup), Sony 70-200/2.8 and Minolta 300/4 lenses. I have Sony 1.4 and 2.0 TCs, but have never needed them.

Nikon D3 and lenses in my Sig for rallying and Circuit.

Actually, quite the reverse it seems... The gear rush seems to be non motorsport....and a much larger canon dominance than recent wider trends suggest too

Some may say it's because Nikon users are out there shooting, Canon users are on the forums saying how good their cameras are, rather than taking photos?

;)

Well, obviously I'm only asking a subset of motorsport people (ie TP users) and in a section of the forum where maybe nobody looks at much and some people can't be bothered to click a button...

But thats like any survey really, the sample and answer rate is never 100%.

Still think the results are interesting though and not what on the face of it many would have thought.

I'm not quite sure about the categories you have supplied for Nikon; the D300 and D700 are completely different beasts and what about the D800, D3 and D4?
The implication of your question is that the survey is for "serious" photographers, yet some of the cameras on your list are not professional tools.

That is very much dependant on what you do with them.

I certainly was surprised by some of the kit used professionally.

As it happens the D300 is a very suitable professional Motorsports Camera and extremely common for this purpose.

That is very much dependant on what you do with them.

I certainly was surprised by some of the kit used professionally.

As it happens the D300 is a very suitable professional Motorsports Camera and extremely common for this purpose.

Really?

There is a considerable difference between those folks who manage to wangle a "Media" bib, shoot 4k "images" (never to be seen again snaps) at a clubbie event and those who actually walk the talk.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8062/8161588078_543fd0026a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yup.

Personally i consider a D300/700 to be a professional camera in the correct hands.

One Nikon photographer that jumps to mind as an example of this would be Mark Rebilias. A US based photographer, well worth looking at. Whilst he has D3/4's he also uses D300/700's as they all have their own application.

I know of other equally 'professional' photographers based in the UK that use even more out dated and more consumer targeted kit.

I still maintain if you can work it right it doesn't matter what camera it is (to a point).

Some may say it's because Nikon users are out there shooting, Canon users are on the forums saying how good their cameras are, rather than taking photos?

;)

Haha that did make me smile that! :-D

although i must go against the trend on that one, over 15k photos in under 3 1/2 months on this body and could of been a fair few more

I used my 1DII, 1DII N & 1DIII for motorcycle racing. One as a spare body and one with 70-200mm 2.8 and other 100-400mm.

By far my favourite was the 1DIIN and 70-200mm combo.

Saying that I am now cameraless (not a word) and have been for nearly a year. So my data is a year out of what people are using today.

Back