Motorsport lenses

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
So with the world in its current state I don't anticipate going to watch any motorsport this year. The industry I work in has also been decimated so not a lot to look forward to this year so I'm looking ahead to next year. I've set myself some goals and if I meet them this year I'm hopefully going to go on a spending spree at the start of next year. I bought a new body last year (D500) so I'm looking to upgrade my lenses. I should have about £3.5k to play with but can stretch a little further if necessary. I currently have:

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G
Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 SP Di VC USD

Happy to buy second hand to get better value for money and looking at something like this:

Nikon AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR £940
Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR £1500
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Art £880
Tokina AT-X 11-20mm f/2.8 Pro DX £500
Total: £3820

What are peoples thoughts? What would you do with the budget? My main focus is motorsport but do take my camera on family trips and have recently started some basic astrophotography during the lockdown that I'm keen to explore further hence the Tokina lens.

My biggest concern is that I don't know how much I'll use the 70-200 and its quite a large outlay for something that's not used much. Is it one of those lenses that once I buy I'll find a use?

what sort of motorsport?

For circuit racing in the UK from spectator side with a crop camera, looking for frame filling shots, then 300mm or 400mm options will suit most circuits. Of course, longer lens presents other opportunities, but wider shots are good too.

For general sports photography my 70-200 is invaluable and if you associated the money I've earned from my photography to individual lenses, the 70-200 will have earned its keep many times over.

Sorry, yes circuit racing and mainly cars. Thanks for your input.

How about something like the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 Sport, which can be had second hand for around £1700. This would do the job of replacing both the 200-500 and 70-200 in your setup for less cash. 300mm on a crop sensor body is plenty at most UK circuits, being a full frame equivalent of 450mm on a Nikon camera. It's big old thing to cart around but that could be your dedicated motorsport lens, along with the 24-70mm. Then you could put the savings towards a second camera body, so giving you much less faffing about changing lenses during a race.

I just upgraded to a d500 and went for a 70-200 f2.8 v2 for mainly motorsport at snett first time using i was shocked just how much better and easier i found it all to use compared to using my sigma 150-600

How about something like the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 Sport, which can be had second hand for around £1700. This would do the job of replacing both the 200-500 and 70-200 in your setup for less cash. 300mm on a crop sensor body is plenty at most UK circuits, being a full frame equivalent of 450mm on a Nikon camera. It's big old thing to cart around but that could be your dedicated motorsport lens, along with the 24-70mm. Then you could put the savings towards a second camera body, so giving you much less faffing about changing lenses during a race.

I think you've just solved my issue of whether I'd use the 70-200 there. Didn't even think to look at the 120-300 2.8 2nd hand. I can always put a 2x teleconverter on it to get a 600m 5.6 as well I suppose.

I just upgraded to a d500 and went for a 70-200 f2.8 v2 for mainly motorsport at snett first time using i was shocked just how much better and easier i found it all to use compared to using my sigma 150-600

I'm looking forward to seeing what a quality lens does for me. I always hear people saying the D500 with a 200 or 300 is more than enough but find with my current 300 the quality isn't there when I start cropping in.

My photography is predominantly wildlife, but I also shoot motorsport from time to time. The D500/200-500 f5.6 combo that I use, is awesome!

I usually also carry my 70-200 f4 with me (which I find as good as the f2.8, but half the price!). Your existing 18-55 lens, is a hugely underated 'bargain-bin ' lens, that is incredibly sharp and great for pit lane work, so don't write it off yet!

The Tokina 11-20 f2.8 is superb and can be bought from HDEW for £389.00. - I use mine mainly for 'Astro'.

Whatever you choose, just enjoy it!

Here's a couple of shots with the 200-500 from Angouleme last year:

DSC_4461_00027 (2) by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

DSC_4565_00027 (2) by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

Reactions: Nod
If 200mm is long enough for your usual circuits, maybe the f/4 version would do the job. The D500 has (AFAIK!) good high ISO performance so upping it an extra stop to get the SS you might want/need shouldn't be too much of a problem. You'll lose some shallowness from the DoF but if you're panning, there won't be much in the way of sharp backgrounds to distract from the cars. It'll be cheaper and lighter than the f/2.8 too.

Filling the frame while panning with a 300mm lens is not an easy task. For these shots try and find a slower part of the track. A monopod may also prove useful.

The shot below was taken with a Canon T90 / 300mm combo at the 1991 Australian Motorcycle GP. No AF on that camera but prefocussing helped a lot. The main
problem was tracking a fast moving object with a longish lens. Would not have like to attempt it with a 400mm + lens. Just depends on how large your moving object is
within the frame. Nowadays, using a DSLR, you could always fall back on a shorter lens and crop in post. Several shots in burst mode could also help in capturing the best
framed shot.

Attachments

• Image65sm.jpg
    Image65sm.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 39
My Nikon 70-200 f2.8 Mk2 is fantastic on the D500. If I could only take one lens only for virtually everything, this would be the one.

Hi, I like motorsport also (mostly Bikes) and have used a Nikon D3200 with Nikon 70-300 DX lens at Silverstone, Thruxton Mugello and others. I found the lens to be a good all rounder and only switched to a 85mm when in the paddocks for closeups and riders. I have tried my Sigma 150-600C and its simply to big, heavy and too long at 600mm. Like yourself I am looking forward to getting trackside again, and have just upgrade to a Nikon D7500 (budget would not run to D500 unfortunately) and a Sigma 70-200 F4 sport as my go to setup. Testing it locally with some friendly riders I have been very pleased. I have also been using a tripod and gimbal which is superb for panning, but might not find space trackside. I hope this helps and enjoy the new seasons racing !

Back