motorsport photography, D3 or 1D mkIII??

And an enormous percentage were ok, and if you go and buy a new mk3 there is very little chance of having a focus problem.

No, an enormous percentage were actually defective, hence the free of charge recall, which co-incidentally must have cost an awful lot of money for Canon as there was an abundance of folk who were infuriated with delays and prolonged turn around.

Again, great for you that your camera wasn't a dud but Canon did indeed make a monumental balls up with the mkIII and lost a lot of customers.

I'm sorry but I'm not (and wasn't) willing to gamble over two thousand pounds based on the chance there wouldn't be any more problems.

It's up to the OP to decide how to invest his money.

And an enormous percentage were ok, and if you go and buy a new mk3 there is very little chance of having a focus problem.

And if you go out and buy a new D3 there is no chance of having an AF issue.

The MkIII really does have AF issues. If Canon don't get the MkIV right they are in trouble.

Either will do the job...it comes down to ease of use and feel...you will have to go and 'handle' both cameras to see which feels right for you...

There's a lot of bull-poo talked about which is best, whose lenses are sharper, blah, blah, blah and it boils down to this...

...the best camera for you is the one you're happy using, because if you don't like it, you'll find excuses not to use it.

Well I have used 3 1Dmk3's for heavy professional use, both wildlife and football (spl + euro) and have not had any issues. Yup I get the odd one oof but then I had that with other cameras as well.

I personally have not used Nikon as have to much kit with Canon to even consider changing.

I do agree that some mk3's have had issues, and that some togs have had issues with the camera. Some of it camera fault, some user error. It took me a couple of weeks to get the camera's set up the way I wanted it with autofocus sensitivity, tracking sensitivity etc. This is certainly one camera that doesn't work straight out the box.

Personally either will suffice, both are good at what they do. Don't be put off by previous canon problems but equally Nikon may suit you best.

Arron

I can't comment on the capabilities of Canons for motorsport. However, you also mention indoor presentations. Here, the D3 will offer you a whole new dimension of indoor shooting without flash. I shoot events and performances for a couple of schools, and shooting in classrooms and halls without flash is fantastic.

Back