• RAW

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • JPEG

Votes: 33 44.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Generally for motorsport I now shoot JPEG but occasionally shoot RAW if the lighting is tricky.

I don't think burst rate has a lot to do with it, apart from those rare crash drama moments.

I've always thought what a motorsport camera needs is a "panic button" which instanstly drops the camera into high speed frame rate and ups the shutter speed to something mental along with raising the ISO to match.... so you can be in single shot, ISO100, 1/20th panning then when something crashes, whack the panic button and hose away.

Neither Canon nor Nikon have answered my emails on the subject... bloody non-motorsport togs!

i'm with you on that one

Funny that the panic idea has been mentioned as I recently moved to Panasonic which has two Custom modes on the dial right next to each other. C1 defaults to my standard panning settings (1/60, single shot, ISO 160 etc) and C2 is going to be my 'crash mode', I'm currently expermenting with how best to set that one up, a very fast shutter speed, burst and Auto ISO limited to 1600 seems to be the way to go.

Annoyingly it has a 'Intelligent Auto' button right next to the shutter, but that's the only button that isn't customizable!

6 years of shooting and I've never caught a crash properly, I'm always in 1/15th or something ridiculous when it happens.

No, I don't mean some sort of fiddly dial, I want a PANIC BUTTON. It needs to be large, red and have the words PANIC BUTTON written on it :)

Alternatively, voice activated so when I go "5h1111111111ttttt!" it allows me to catch the tumbling fireball as it rolls towards me :D

No, I don't mean some sort of fiddly dial, I want a PANIC BUTTON. It needs to be large, red and have the words PANIC BUTTON written on it :)

Alternatively, voice activated so when I go "5h1111111111ttttt!" it allows me to catch the tumbling fireball as it rolls towards me :D

activated by the sound of gravel

activated by the sound of gravel

or the sound of marshals and other togs running for their lives :D

A custom function to auto switch to the highest shutter speed at a user defined max ISO after a user defined number of rapid fire shots (some may prefer 2, 3 or 4) would go a long way to help, as it could be done in firmware instead of the design and manufacturing costs of a big red button.

Interesting. I shoot RAW currently (I have a 350D, the files don't take up that much space), just because I feel I have a bit more control. But reading through this I get the impression I should be switching to JPEG?

When it comes to my editing of the RAW, I find that I pick the the best ones straight away (there's a browser I've got that allows me to see what they all look like on a big scale), then the Photoshop RAW editing panel that comes up has everything that I'd usually want to do with my editing. It's probably quicker than editing a JPEG for me in reality...

Storage wise, once the event is over and I've sifted through the rest from the event I move all the RAW's over onto a external hard drive for if I ever need them again.

Speedster502 said:
Interesting. I shoot RAW currently (I have a 350D, the files don't take up that much space), just because I feel I have a bit more control. But reading through this I get the impression I should be switching to JPEG?

When it comes to my editing of the RAW, I find that I pick the the best ones straight away (there's a browser I've got that allows me to see what they all look like on a big scale), then the Photoshop RAW editing panel that comes up has everything that I'd usually want to do with my editing. It's probably quicker than editing a JPEG for me in reality...

Storage wise, once the event is over and I've sifted through the rest from the event I move all the RAW's over onto a external hard drive for if I ever need them again.

That's pretty much what I do, but with Lightroom. If it works for you, there's no need to change!

Back