Motorsport support for Sigma 50-500

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
Hi all :)

I've finally given in and picked up a Sigma 50-500. The original plan was to use it for a bit on an existing basic monopod while getting used to it. Well, having now handled the thing properly that's clearly a non-starter ;-) It'll primarily be used for motor sports, but occasional other sports - football, cricket, rowing, some junior stuff in sports halls and funny levels - and occasional wildlife.

So, looking to upgrade the support. Already got Manfrotto 055XPROB legs and 488 ballhead for other stuff but that's never going to work for panning a 170MPH car ;-) Could get a beefier monopod but not sure about that by the end of a long race and it'd be a complete non-starter for anything I couldn't shoot looking straight forwards at eye level. Or I quite like the look of the Manfrotto 393 gimbal head on the existing legs, but I've never actually seen anyone shooting motor sports with that sort of rig.

With apologies for the small audience - are there any other motor sport (or similar) shooters with a 500mm zoom here who could recommend support options?

I have the 50-500 and have used it for motor sport panning shots hand held with good results, Ive never used it for motor sport with the 393 head but i have it for wildlife shots and its a dream to use (y)

The weight isn't a problem per se (though it'll be an issue by the end of another Silverstone 1000km!), I'm more concerned about stability at 500mm crop TBH. I've shot 300mm for years now and it's OKish at shutter speeds that don't freeze all the action but can be marginal, so I'd rather get the stability. More than doubling the system weight helps to some degree through greater inertia, but still - I want a reliably usable 500mm at 1/320 or lower to have confidence in the rig getting the results I want and I don't see that handheld without serious practice.

Unfortunately I have a habit of shooting some sports from near ground-level (rowing in particular) and work with the Boys Brigade in my area, having become a semi-official photographer for them - which can entail lots from the galleries of sports halls, shooting down at odd angles in dodgy light. Hence the thoughts about gimbals, quite aside from fatigue at the end of the day - just give me the better control and the ability to use the reach in more locations.

Back