Mottling on Formapan 400

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I was testing focus and movements on the 4x5 and I shot two frames, these were processed at the same time in the same tank/developer etc. one has come out fine and the other has is mottled, any ideas what might cause this? The only difference is that the mottled one was shot at f22 and the other at f16, exposure was adjusted accordingly.
(ignore the subject I was just looking at focus and corner sharpness

FocusTestA2-Pano.jpg

FocusTestB1-Pano.jpg

Very strange but that is the pattern you get when paper is stuck to emulsion.

what developer?

I doubt that it matters but the problem that I had with fomapan 100 ( millions of white dots visible on the positives) has greatly reduced by rewashing in a strongish alkaline solution, ie rewashing in a solution of the original developer which in my case is HC-110

The rewash in the dev solution shouldn't do any harm to the neg , it hasn't in the negs that I have rewashed.

I used a 1:10 ish solution as opposed to the original develeping strength of 1:31 ...for about 10 mins but it is a hit and miss experimental affair.

Usual wtaer wash afterward and leave to dry.

The is still evidence of the problem on the negs but quite litterally 1/10 of what was originally evident

Another rewash may be in order....

Also as Terry mentioned, the mottling resembles film stuck to paper and indeed I've had it with rollei roll film on latent images where the last frames exposed were fine but the previous ones that had sat in camera for a couple of months or so were mottled like what your frames are.

Doesn't make the same sense in your case as both sheets have come from same batch and exposed / devd at same time.

If it's any consolation, I have an issue that I'm investigating atm relating to light entry through the rear standard or film holder of the 10x8 ( former i think having done a torch test)....Oh the issues that are put on us poor filmies :(....The thing is, when we resolve these problems and frustrations, in a strange kind of way it makes ( for me anyway), the use of film kit even more satisfying than it already is.:)

Hopefully you will find that the solution is a straight forward one..good luck!;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, it was souped in HC-110. Both sheets were loaded into the same DDS and used within and hour of loading and processed probably less than half an out after that.

@Terrywoodenpic the neg hasn't touched any paper but I am now wondering if it did touch the dark slide in some way. It seems unlikely but I'll try to investigate that.

@Asha, they were just messing around with focus so I'm not too bothered about the images so I'll give it a wash in HC-110 tomorrow and see what happens

What agitation did you do, what holder, was the tank on its side at all?
I was using a Stearman SP445 tank which holds the negs vertically, as I said both negs were in the tank at the same time so it seems unlikely that it was anything to do with the processing. Agitation was as per massive dev chart app, 1 minute initially then 10 seconds every minute.

Just given it 30 mins in HC-110 as per @Asha suggestion but there is no discernable difference

Was w
I was using a Stearman SP445 tank which holds the negs vertically, as I said both negs were in the tank at the same time so it seems unlikely that it was anything to do with the processing. Agitation was as per massive dev chart app, 1 minute initially then 10 seconds every minute.
wondering because they look like typical air bubble marks, Foma for some reason loves air bubbles

Was w
wondering because they look like typical air bubble marks, Foma for some reason loves air bubbles

Wouldn't air bubbles during development result in clear film, which would then print as black spots?

It has to be covid...... the other sheet having not been offered the opportunity to remain distanced will show symptoms on or before the 4th June [emoji23]

What expiry date / batch number is this film Chris.?

I know it’s a different speed and format size but I’m curious if there is any relation to the 10x8 film I’ve had probs with.

Back