Mount Everest

mobilevirgin

I'm a cheeky little sausage
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
A while back I posted a photo of Delhi airport in the fog. It was taken as we were taxiing towards the runway en route to Kathmandu.

We knew when we took off that there was too much fog at Kathmandu for us to be able to land. A flight that was supposed to take about an hour ended up taking more like 3 hours. The pilot's solution was to fly up and down the Kathmandu Valley about 20 times - just backwards and forwards - while the cabin crew provided complimentary beers as a sort of apology for the delay.

We were rewarded with views of Mt Everest - one of the most spectacular sights I have seen.

Here it is

IMG_7083-small.jpg

And this is the reason why we couldn't land at Kathmandu

IMG_7099-small.jpg

Its down there somewhere :)

I know the pics aren't that great, technically. The sensor was filthy and they're shot through airline windows. But I thought they were worth sharing.

MV

Wow, simply wow!!! The 'high' spot of your trip? :D

Very nice (and very envious!)

These are great!

In this months, umm forgot what mag,....there is an article on a hike to Mt. Everest Base Camp....simply breathtaking....

I'm certainly considering it as a trip...

Thanks for posting these...

Well worth sharing fascinating.

Cheers
Bill

Wow ... look at that plume of snow coming off the summit!

I went to a talk on an Everest ascent by Brummie Stokes and Bronco Lane ( both ex SAS) They had to spend the night on the summit punching each other to stay awake and alive. Bronco Lane lost all the fingers of his right hand due to removing his glove to open the last oxygen cylinder they were sharing.

They were both flown to Kathmandu, where they had all their toes removed when they got down. They joked that they now go to 'Mothercare' for their shoes. :notworthy:

Massive wb problems there due the clear air and the reflections from that sky..

IMG_7083-small-edit.jpg

Wow, fabulous shots. You are so lucky, it is a dream of mine to see Everest one day. I bet it was an awesome experience.

Back