Wales mount snowdon

There are 365 days in every non leap year. You can take photos up there on any day you choose.
And don't call it mount snowdon. That's inaccurate and bad grammar.

From about May to October it's green, which many like; late autumn to spring it's pale brownish, which others prefer. The biggest issue is weather; if you can, check forecasts and go when good. Straight after rain skies can be very clear; in summer there's often a lot of haze and particulate pollution. Snow is possible from October to April.

As said, any time can be good.

Just avoid it when it is heavily cloud covered. Little point in going somewhere with great views if you aren't going to see any. There are plenty of other places to go on such days and going into the hills in bad weather can have its dangers.

There is an old hill walking saying - "The mountain will be there another day, just make sure you are too".

Dave

Just to add my 2p's worth. It's unlikely you'll get a good day ON the mountain at this time of year. But there are photographs OF the mountain from all sorts of locations.

There are many excellent locations in the National Park but your sucess will be dictated by the weather. Some locations around Snowdon for you to consider......

Natngwynant (valley running east from Beddgelert with 2 lakes)
Llanberis /Llyn Padarn to north of Snowdon.
The classic viewpoint - Llynnau Mymbyr east of Capel Curig.

For th mountain itself; the easiest start is from Pen-y-pass but the car park there will often be full if its a good day - and it costs £10!

Just watch the weather reports to make sure you don't get a stinker of a day and you should be alright. Personally I would wait for a dry spell

Y'r Wyddfa
Where did that apostrophe come from ...?

Personally I would wait for a dry spell
Polite cough, followed by long pause .......

The weather model of the mountainous British west coast is pretty tied to the Atlantic, & changes pretty fast. Fronts pass. Cloud punctuated by clearances & flashing light. Sometimes it gets northerly for a day or two (can be crisp!), or even comes from the south. Long winter periods can come from the east, with sometimes bright sun above but a spread-out layer of continental murk hugging the land and sea.

I'm no weather nerd. Maybe you should have half a mind to the forecast and be prepared to take a chance. It's not just about photography - you will have a life experience, whatever happens.

1000m up, it's colder, it's windier. You could need gloves in August. Winter isn't frightening, but on mountains you need to be be prepared for what might be up there (even on the boring tourist path from Llanberis).

If you want to live, that is.

I'm damned sure that you don't have crampons & an ice axe (I'm not joking), but there will be mountain condition reports at Llanberis, Pen-y-Pass & on-line. Forget the national weather forecasts - they're just about whether you need an umbrella or not at ground level in Manchester or Bristol.

Go on, do it, have an adventure! Often I've gone for miles, spent physical effort, and not taken the camera from its bag. It's not about trophies - it's about being alive, and taking a chance.

Last edited:
If there is snow on the ground the Llanberis path in winter on Snowdonia can be very hazardous. There is a convex section near the railway line where if you slip its a slide down the mountain and over a cliff. There have been several deaths over the years from people following the railway line down from the summit when it’s covered in snow. The problem is many think the Llanberis route is the easy route up as it’s the tourist route and therefore the best route to take in winter. In winter its totally different and potentially very hazardous.

These explain the risk well:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/recent_deaths_on_snowdon-1653

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2...ng-perilous-wintry-route-down-snowdon-railway

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/walker-falls-more-800ft-death-14304973

Any high mountain needs the correct gear when tackling them in winter. There is taking risks for a few photos but if you don’t have the experience or correct gear don’t go in conditions you can’t handle. It’s not fair expecting MRT come to the rescue when it’s easily avoidable.

Well you can have all four seasons in one day (seen it) so it's luck of the draw.
Personally I'd say winter, strong moody skies, less people, but it depends what you like. If your walking up go prepared in winter, not funny if you get stuck in bad weather without proper kit.

I've always maintained that if people go out into the countryside in inappropriate clothing and footwear and without proper navigation equipment (and sufficient knowledge of how to use it) when the weather forecast is suggesting the chance of poor weather then they should have to pay the full cost of any subsequent rescue mission that's required to try and find them and bring them back to safety. Same with so called 'experienced' people who go hiking or mountaineering in extreme weather conditions too. I know it's their choice of hobby and enjoyment, but why should it cost other people money, time and effort if they have to go and rescue them? If it's their own stupid fault then make them pay the costs, including the hire and fuel for the helicopter! I bet a couple of well-publicised £8,000+ bills would focus attention!

Last edited:
Back