Mountain biking with a DSLR

Edit My Images
Yes
What's the best way to keep my camera Safe when mountain biking.Will it be ok wrapped in a layer of clothing in my camelbak?
IIt won't be extreme mountain biking, just general Bridleways, some rocky paths, steps and woodland singletrack.

There is lots of nice woodland scenes I'd like to take photos off and also of my bike. Don't need quick access, just want it to be secure.
Also should I leave the lens on or take it off the body.

i would just have it on the sling (i have the black rapid sport) so its by your side
if not it shouldnt need wrapping up just in your daysack should be fine

I can fit a Lowepro Toploader in my Camelbak Hawg although I have also just wrapped the camera in a waterproof a few times.

Can't see a problem leaving the lens on, bound to get muck in when you remove/replace it

Hi,as a fellow MTBer i feel should post, Well i thought about taking camera with me and i take my Canon sx40 with me its already in protective shoulder bag then I just put it in my rucksack. I use it and take it for the versatility and its my main camera i use any ways.
Have you considered the Canon EOS M as its compact size with changeable lens also Samsung NX series also compact size with changeable lens, as ive considered these for light carrying about camera. Then again I also after a bigger camera too :) hope helps.

Not fallen off for a while. If I'm going out for a blast I won't take it with me. But if I want a more chilled ride I'd like too. Think I need a bag to fit water bottles and my camera.

[quotequotet-P, post: 6214901, member: 24388"]Lowepro Photo Sport for me. Holds the camera well and more kit and a bladder as well.[/quote]
Their quite dear, but look good. Cheaper than replacing body and lens.

I've got a tatty lowepro photo sport

I hadn't thought about it until now, then wondered if this was the right place to do so. It's the larger 200, orange and well used, could go for £25 plus p&p

Depends how much you plan on falling off.

This subject comes up regularly. On a bicycle or motorcycle, it's never a good idea to have solid items carried on your person in a backpack as you will find out if you come off and roll along the ground or land directly on it.

Equally, it's never a good idea to fall off!

Steve.

Reactions: PMN
This subject comes up regularly. On a bicycle or motorcycle, it's never a good idea to have solid items carried on your person in a backpack as you will find out if you come off and roll along the ground or land directly on it.

Equally, it's never a good idea to fall off!

Steve.
Yes this is correct I used to carry my camera bag over my shoulder on the motorbike now it goes in the top box
Same applies to mountain biking can you get a bag that attaches to the bike?

I rarely take my camera as my cycling mates don't usually want to stop for me to take photos.

When I'm on my own, I put the 550D in a big zip lock bag with a t-shirt wrapped round it to keep water/mud out and stop it banging around.
Seems to do the job.

Gonna take it in my camelbak and wrap itup with my wwaterproof jacket. Will be trying to avoid really rocky trails.

Depends how much you plan on falling off.
This is probably a key point but if in hindsight you knew this then you wouldn't have body armour, helmets until that day you knew you was coming off :)

I have a Camelbak Mule NV which has 2 x 3L pockets plus gear, In the past when I've rode in the Alps I've carried a 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 IS MK II and the 17-55 f/2.8 in the inner bladder slot, the bladder in the outer slot then the usual bike crap outside of that. I've only come off big style once and camera gear was fine. For more sedate stuff I use the Capture camera clip system and a Velcro strap for the lens, it gives immediate access to the camera.

One thing you have to bear in mind is the shear weight of the kit and how it effects your abilities, with the above kit I had to adapt a bit on jumps and going down steep technical stuff make sure the waist/chest straps are secure or you find your backpack starts to want to overtake you :)

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Still not tried it yet. Just been diagnosed with rotator cuff Impingement syndrome so no biking till I have a pain killing and steroid injection on the second of may. Did go for a motorbike ride with it in back pack and hardly noticed the weight and camera was fine bar a few specs of dust on the buttons.

Back