Mounting DSLR to a vertical pole

Edit My Images
No
I am looking for suggestions on this one I need to mount a DSLR to a vertical pole and it needs to be able to support a fair bit of weight as using a canon 1D and 24-70mk1 so about 2.5kg I think. more weight support would be better for me to make it as stable as possible.

Any suggestions, not really wanting to spend too much either I have a ball head to sit on it if needed as I would like to be able to adjust the position if needed.

So any suggestions
Thanks

"vertical pole" can cover a multitude of variants!

Diameter?
Wood or metal?
Permanent or temporary/moveable mounting point?

IMO the extra details should aid throwing light on how to think of what might be possible :)

Last edited:
Its a speaker stand so about 30mm diameter, not very high up and needs to be fixed to the side or in front of the pole, on top is not an option.

Have you considered duct tape?
No, that's not a joke.

I would get a clamp that has a 3/8-16 threaded hole (i.e. ebay small rig) and a 3/8-16 set screw. This allows the ballhead to attach directly to the clamp for a more solid/mechanical connection.
The ballhead will be horizontal with the top angled 90* into the notch (for horizontal view)... this also spaces the camera away from the pole a bit (height of the ballhead) which is necessary for positioning.

I would get a clamp that has a 3/8-16 threaded hole (i.e. ebay small rig) and a 3/8-16 set screw. This allows the ballhead to attach directly to the clamp for a more solid/mechanical connection.
The ballhead will be horizontal with the top angled 90* into the notch (for horizontal view)... this also spaces the camera away from the pole a bit (height of the ballhead) which is necessary for positioning.
Thanks for spending my money for me :D, bad attack of GAS

Have you considered duct tape?
No, that's not a joke.
Ermmm trying not to comment, not quite sure how using duct tape would make it adjustable I thought Duct tape was for holding bumpers, wing mirrors and wings on to cars,? not cameras to poles?

I have a small rig clamp, not really too impressed with it to be honest, I don't think its wide enough to hold the weight I want to put on it no matter how tight I get it, it will still move.

ok so thinking the Manfrotto 035 Magic clamp and a Manfrotto 037 with the ball head should have me covered.

My new clamp arrived this morning and there is no comparison in the quality between this and the smallrig ones.

I am thinking about getting another to mount a studio flash head to the pole as well I think it will work well.

Back