Mounting prints directly on MDF.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Is there are down side to mounting a print directly onto MDF?

(accurate but not at all helpful comment time)

...it's difficult to roll them up and fit them into a postal tube for shipping to customers afterwards...

You been in the liquorice cabinet again, Mark?! :p

Heh - I was reading further on how to resin laminate (based on your other post) and came across an article about MDF in particular being quite acidy and releasing those acids over time - thus potentially damaging the print. This caused typical forum arguing ("do you need 3000 year archival quality?") which ended inconclusively. The sum of the discussion was that MDF is best because it's flat - and any acid leakage over time would be a lesser evil.

Had a look to try and find the source in my history but drew a blank.

Heh - I was reading further on how to resin laminate (based on your other post) and came across an article about MDF in particular being quite acidy and releasing those acids over time - thus potentially damaging the print. This caused typical forum arguing ("do you need 3000 year archival quality?") which ended inconclusively. The sum of the discussion was that MDF is best because it's flat - and any acid leakage over time would be a lesser evil.

Had a look to try and find the source in my history but drew a blank.
The acid leaking was a concern but TBH if it take 2 year for it to "leak" I'm not worried, I'd more then likely have replaced the print for another one.

"Formaldehyde resins are commonly used to bind together the fibres in MDF, and testing has consistently revealed that MDF products emit free formaldehyde and other volatile organic compounds that pose health risks at concentrations considered unsafe, for at least several months after manufacture.[12][13][14] Urea-formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the edges and surface of MDF. When painting, it is a good idea to coat all sides of the finished piece in order to seal in the free formaldehyde. Wax and oil finishes may be used as finishes but they are less effective at sealing in the free formaldehyde.[6]

Whether these constant emissions of formaldehyde reach harmful levels in real-world environments is not yet fully determined. The primary concern is for the industries using formaldehyde. As far back as 1987, the U.S. EPA classified it as a "probable human carcinogen" and, after more studies, the WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), in 1995, also classified it as a "probable human carcinogen". Further information and evaluation of all known data led the IARC to reclassify formaldehyde as a "known human carcinogen"[8] associated with nasal sinus cancer and nasopharyngeal cancer, and possibly with leukaemia in June 2004.[10]"

But then, photographic processes aren't necessarily environmentally friendly, are they?

Back