Mouse bait

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know a bait which is irresistible to mice?

For over a week we have had one(or more) in the kitchen. I've used the trail camera(which I would rather use to see animals in the garden at night) and seen one running around the floor most nights.

We have quite a few in the garden and I am happy for them to be there but inside the house I use a killing trap. I haven't had any success in the past with live traps and don't want to use poison so prefer a quick end.

I've used chocolate and also bacon rind on the traps but none of the three traps have been touched. The dog killed a mouse in the kitchen a couple days ago but it was a young one, which has confirmed my suspicion we have more than one mouse - which is probably always the case.

Grateful for any suggestions for a good bait.

Dave

We had good results with Snickers (which made Mrs Nod happy - she likes them but I don't!)

Can't remember what @Cobra recommended - he's a genuine expert in the field!

A smear of peanut butter on the tread plate, or something like nutella.
They can't steal that, they have to stand on the tread plate to lick it off.

Had success with peanut butter also. You need to replace it before it dries up though.

Had success with peanut butter also. You need to replace it before it dries up though.
Indeed any bait needs to be kept fresh, and in tip top condition.

What I have deduced from this thread, is that mice are not fussy eaters. Next week I will be offering them truffle flakes on a foie gras base.
If they live in a house that eats that as a matter of course, then yes.
Feed the target species what they are used too (y)

For the win.

I always used peanut butter and it never failed

Try placing the trap/s in a corner or in-between appliances , not out in the open

That's what I used when it turned out there were mice in the garage attic...they'd climbed up the shelving. I set 6 traps.

I've alwayus used cheese. But read about some guy's in Vietnam they used the peanut butter out of c-rats to trap rats.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

As I mentioned I've been using a trail camera to see what the mouse is doing overnight but since I started this thread on Friday, there has been no sign of the mouse!

I even left a bit of food close to where it has been emerging for two nights but it wasn't touched, so we are thinking it has gone.

I'm probably giving the mouse too much credit but I wonder if our dog killing a young one has put it off so it has left.

Dave

I've had great results with the Biscoff spread from Aldi. During the winter months, I used to set both of my traps and leave them a couple of days. Quite often both traps had 'eaten' when I came back.

i have rats on my lake that can be a bit problematic at times, if we have an abundance of them we tend to shoot them ( gas powered air rifles )rather than poison them in case they end up in the water or the poison runs into the lake during the rain , we use peanut butter, anything else they are able to pick up and run away with too easily

Back