South-West England Mouthmill Beach, Devon.

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I've seen some photos of an interesting formation called BlackChurch Rock, Mouthmill Beach, Devon.
Looking on Google maps it looks like this is a pretty remote location, some distance from any road access.
Can anyone tell me the best way to reach this location and where the nearest parking would be?

The easiest way to get there is to park at Brownsham car park. It is here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d51.007598!4d-4.444878

When you leave the carpark head towards the farm buildings. To the right of these buildings there is a path that leads down the way. It is about a 20 minute walk to the beach. Around half way down there's a slight clearing where you can head straight/leftish, or right. Take the straight/leftish path and that will take you down to the beach. If you are following a small stream the whole way you've taken the correct path (you may not always be able to see it, but you can hear the water).

When you get to the beach it is pretty much entirely large rocks and boudlers and can be tricky terrain, so be careful. It's very easy to fall over or turn an ankle.

You can also walk to Clovelly via the SWCP in under and hour or so from the beach too.

Thanks Glenn for such a comprehensive and informative reply.

I must admit, depite using street view, I'd missed that small National Trust car park.
I'm not sure when I'll get there, but I was thinking of having a couple of nights in the Hartland area, so it should be straightforward to get over to Brownsham from there.
One guide I found mentioned walking from Clovelly but it looked like quite a hike.

Warning noted regarding rocky beach.
If I'm out shooting alone I'm always very aware of the potential of personal injury, and in remote locations one often has no mobile phone signal to call for help.

All the best,
Brian

Think you will find that Mouthmill is in shadow all day at this time of year, even Hartland Quay is not going to get much light on the beach, the west side of the outcrop should pick up a bit though.

Thank you for that additional information Steve, very helpful.
So you are saying that Mouthmill is better in the summer, when the sun is higher in the sky.
Maybe I shall defer my visit until next year.
Of course, strong direct sunlight is not always the best lighting for scenes that are inherently contrasty.
It may be that diffused light is better for extracting detail from shadow areas.

One additional thing that I was going to ask:
Bearing in mind I was hoping to shoot the BlackChurch rock, is it better to visit the location at low tide or does it not matter that much?

One guide I found mentioned walking from Clovelly but it looked like quite a hike.

It can be pretty steep, particularly in the first section leaving Mouthmill and arriving at Clovelly.

One additional thing that I was going to ask:
Bearing in mind I was hoping to shoot the BlackChurch rock, is it better to visit the location at low tide or does it not matter that much?

It doesn't matter too much really. At low tides you'll have rocks round the base, and you can walk up to and around the rock itself. At higher tides the water will be at its base. You'll definitely have more angles and beach to play with at low tide, at higher tides you won't have many angles to choose from.

Depends on the type of shot you want really, but yes, at this time of year, an overcast or dull day would probably be better. On a sunny one the sea will be catching the sun, but the rock would be in the shadow of the cliffs.
Not tried it, but I think in mid summer it should be possible to get the sun rising behind the rock, or have the sun illuminate it at sunset.
Try this to check the suns position http://photoephemeris.com/

As for the tides, at high tide you cant get out far enough to see the holes through the rock, which is probably it's main attraction. At low tide, you get the rock formations leading up to it in the foreground aswell, so a lot more options.
Hope this helps.

Glenn & Steve, thank you both for your detailed and valuable information.

I have Photographers Ephemeris and refer to it frequently.
In addition it looks like I'll need to keep an eye on the tide tables as well!
Not sure when I can get there, but I'll definitely make it at some point.

No problem, pleased to help out.
Being on the south coast it's not an area I get to often enough, need to make more effort, Hartland Quay is one of my favourite places to shoot.

Back