Beginner Move from Fuji to Nikon - cheaper to buy my son his first SLR then

• Thread starter I spat my dummy 86922
  • Start date
I

I spat my dummy 86922

Hi,

Just after some advice really. I currently have a Fuji XT10, 16-50mm and 55-200mm lens. My eldest son (12) seems to have taken a real interest in photography and I am thinking of buying him some kit for xmas. The problem comes with it being Fuji as its all so expensive. The lenses especially. I am open to switching to something like a Nikon D7100 or similar as that opens up much cheaper lenses and also cheaper body for my son. I also have big hands and find the XT10 rather awkward at times. I know I can't put a battery grip on my XT10 but I can on the XT1 or XT2 but they are more money then.

Anybody have any experience of switching from Fuji to something like the D7100?

I can trade my Fuji kit in and get a D710 and something like a zoom lens to go with it for the same money which will free up money to buy my son something.

Any help/advice/recommendations really appreciated

Matt

I switched the other way and would say if you don't mind the extra size and weight, you'd be happy enough with what the D7100 gives you. As you say, it gives you a larger selection of lenses to choose from including the older glass without in built motors which are needed for the lower spec Nikon DSLRs.

My D7100 and Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 were great together tbh.

Only other way would be to try and find a used XT1 for me and let him have my XT10 and share lenses. I need something bigger for my hands. I do like Fuji stuff but it is expensive

S/H the previous generation of bodies, X-T1, X-E2, X-T10 are not expensive neither are the XC16-50 and XC50-230 lenses, optically they are good but being plastic their build quality doesn't feel as good as other Fuji glass. The XF lenses are quite expensive but they are very good quality, and often equal to top end DSLR glass.

Yes some of the DSLR lenses are cheaper but often these too are plastic bodied and not necessarily of great optical quality, the better DSLR lenses are similar in price to some of the Fuji lenses.

Your option of a used X-T1 is a good one, there are plenty about, and maybe try and source a used XF18-55 for that body, then you can pass the X-T10+16-50 to your son and share other lenses. Its just an option, obviously changing system is another option, it depends really on the depth of your pockets and which camera system you prefer

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I don’t really prefer any tbh. I’m not a die hard Fuji fan. I chose this as got a good deal on it (xt10 with 16-55 mk2 and Fuji 55-200 for just £560). I do like the Fuji but having big hands I need something I can add a grip too really

Matt

I need something I can add a grip too really
Eh?
I have banana fists.... despite my D3200 being one of the more compact DSLR's about, I have absolutely no problem with it's size, let alone compunction to add a pseudo-winder to it to make it 'easier' to handle. It's actually physically bulkier than the Olympus OM film cameras it superseded, which in turn are bulkier than my most used Olympus XA2 compact, which curiously isn't a heck of a lot larger than the pocket digitals that I have been using for the last decade and a half... that are themselves considerably bulkier than my Minox C 'James-Bond' Spy camera!

The Notion, I am afraid, just boggles....

If banana-fists come into the equation at all with more modern gear, it's that they have such diddy buttons, or no bludy buttons at all!

My Daughter's an smart-phone junky; "Just touch the icon on screen Dad!" err... yeah... it's showing about twenty of them, and my little finger's covering four of them!
O/H's son, handed me his rather much larger , I think Samsung 'something' swiss-army-communications-console with added under-chin lighting feature, that's about the size of a lap-top... without buttons! Y-E-A-H... and this helps 'how'?!?

The Fuji, AFAICT, aping 'retro-styling' of old mechanical film cameras. is significantly lever, dial and wheel 'driven' rather than button-set, which may 'help', but, this is the nub, it's rarely the physical size of the camera, but the buttons that matter, and I think you are possibly diving down an cul-de-sac chasing technology to solve 'problems' it has made! And I suspect that switching systems on this nebulouse notion, may make even more niggles for you!

Son's Situation? He's 12 you say? What's the likelihood he'll elect to do GCSE photo at school? What's the equipment list for GCSE Photo at his school? Is the tutor a Nikon or Cannon person? This would be steering my choices as far as what would best suit the lad, and I would likely be looking for something 2nd hand, at the older end of the entry level range for him, for least cost/risk starter set up, to get him going and familiar with the same conventions as he'll be using at school if he goes that way, and scope to upgrade as ad when needed.

Daughter dd her GCSE and A-Level photo courses, and as a Nikon user, we bucked the school-script getting her a D3100, as she was already familiar with my D3200 and 'share' my.. lenses which, proved a much smaller cause of controversy than the batteries, they also shared... y-e-r-s... I always know which ones are 'mine'... they are the flat ones!!!!

That 'experience' does beg some suggestion that the 'idea' of compatible systems is something of a double-edged sword... Her tutor was a Canon-Man, she was one of just two Nikon shooters on her course, and spent more time teaching the other Nikon user to do what teacher had done with a Cannon... and arguing with me, when she had to ask, as teacher didn't have an answer.... and the whole 'issue' of shared lenses was a very big blue touch-paper.... of course the lens she 'needed' was always the one on the front of my camera... and when she started dragging them through the bushes in the local park, or chucking water filled baloons around 3" from their delicate electronics, and grumbling that she 'had' to take them to school, but had no-where to keep them..... It WAS all a lot more hassle than it was worth really.......

I really believe that there is little advantage to sharing a system, and a lot of potential disadvantage, room for controversy and consternation. And ultimately, I ended up handing her the bag and telling her to get on with it, and shooting a film camera!

SO! separating the variables here....

First, I don't think that there is an awful lot of useful advantage in sharing a system with your son.
Next, selecting system for him, possibility of school-photo-courses has to be considered.
Then, sorting out 'son' should be 'one' job to be sorted, independent of anything else.

THEN, you can ponder your problem and needs, as an entirely separate topic. In which the handling of the Fuji vs anything else should be weighed the pro's ad cons, very carefully. Merits of mirror-less, systems, do, to me pall in comparison to the advantage you have pointed out of DSLR systems commonality and consequently better, cheaper availability of lenses and other accessories... but you only need one lens to take a photo.. ad the 18-55 kit o my D3200 has consistently been my most used lens over the last five years, despite the £1000's worth of alternatives I have stuck in the bag desperate to get the same sort of 'range' I had for film!

And 16mm to 200mm? That is a pretty useful range of focal lengths; other than the fiddly-fingers issue dealt with at start, what 'really' does the camera not do for you? Would anything else 'really' do the job much if any better or cheaper?

As said I think that the idea that a DSLR and battery grip will be 'easier' to handle, may be a little bit of a red-herring; and the idea that a battery grip, would help, is rather nebulous. Clue is in the name, a battery grip is there to take extra batteries so you don't have to swap them so often, when they go flat! Is that a problem you often encounter? As said the side-effect of added grip-space has to be countered with how much is the actual 'size' and how much 'buttons'... would it really 'solve' a problem or just swap the problems you have?

If you aren't getting on with the Fuji, then, yeah, little reason to stick with it. B-U-T, in the bag of issues you suggest you want to tackle, dont chuck the baby out with the bath-water!

Eh?
I have banana fists.... despite my D3200 being one of the more compact DSLR's about, I have absolutely no problem with it's size, let alone compunction to add a pseudo-winder to it to make it 'easier' to handle. It's actually physically bulkier than the Olympus OM film cameras it superseded, which in turn are bulkier than my most used Olympus XA2 compact, which curiously isn't a heck of a lot larger than the pocket digitals that I have been using for the last decade and a half... that are themselves considerably bulkier than my Minox C 'James-Bond' Spy camera!

The Notion, I am afraid, just boggles....

If banana-fists come into the equation at all with more modern gear, it's that they have such diddy buttons, or no bludy buttons at all!

My Daughter's an smart-phone junky; "Just touch the icon on screen Dad!" err... yeah... it's showing about twenty of them, and my little finger's covering four of them!
O/H's son, handed me his rather much larger , I think Samsung 'something' swiss-army-communications-console with added under-chin lighting feature, that's about the size of a lap-top... without buttons! Y-E-A-H... and this helps 'how'?!?

The Fuji, AFAICT, aping 'retro-styling' of old mechanical film cameras. is significantly lever, dial and wheel 'driven' rather than button-set, which may 'help', but, this is the nub, it's rarely the physical size of the camera, but the buttons that matter, and I think you are possibly diving down an cul-de-sac chasing technology to solve 'problems' it has made! And I suspect that switching systems on this nebulouse notion, may make even more niggles for you!

Son's Situation? He's 12 you say? What's the likelihood he'll elect to do GCSE photo at school? What's the equipment list for GCSE Photo at his school? Is the tutor a Nikon or Cannon person? This would be steering my choices as far as what would best suit the lad, and I would likely be looking for something 2nd hand, at the older end of the entry level range for him, for least cost/risk starter set up, to get him going and familiar with the same conventions as he'll be using at school if he goes that way, and scope to upgrade as ad when needed.

Daughter dd her GCSE and A-Level photo courses, and as a Nikon user, we bucked the school-script getting her a D3100, as she was already familiar with my D3200 and 'share' my.. lenses which, proved a much smaller cause of controversy than the batteries, they also shared... y-e-r-s... I always know which ones are 'mine'... they are the flat ones!!!!

That 'experience' does beg some suggestion that the 'idea' of compatible systems is something of a double-edged sword... Her tutor was a Canon-Man, she was one of just two Nikon shooters on her course, and spent more time teaching the other Nikon user to do what teacher had done with a Cannon... and arguing with me, when she had to ask, as teacher didn't have an answer.... and the whole 'issue' of shared lenses was a very big blue touch-paper.... of course the lens she 'needed' was always the one on the front of my camera... and when she started dragging them through the bushes in the local park, or chucking water filled baloons around 3" from their delicate electronics, and grumbling that she 'had' to take them to school, but had no-where to keep them..... It WAS all a lot more hassle than it was worth really.......

I really believe that there is little advantage to sharing a system, and a lot of potential disadvantage, room for controversy and consternation. And ultimately, I ended up handing her the bag and telling her to get on with it, and shooting a film camera!

SO! separating the variables here....

First, I don't think that there is an awful lot of useful advantage in sharing a system with your son.
Next, selecting system for him, possibility of school-photo-courses has to be considered.
Then, sorting out 'son' should be 'one' job to be sorted, independent of anything else.

THEN, you can ponder your problem and needs, as an entirely separate topic. In which the handling of the Fuji vs anything else should be weighed the pro's ad cons, very carefully. Merits of mirror-less, systems, do, to me pall in comparison to the advantage you have pointed out of DSLR systems commonality and consequently better, cheaper availability of lenses and other accessories... but you only need one lens to take a photo.. ad the 18-55 kit o my D3200 has consistently been my most used lens over the last five years, despite the £1000's worth of alternatives I have stuck in the bag desperate to get the same sort of 'range' I had for film!

And 16mm to 200mm? That is a pretty useful range of focal lengths; other than the fiddly-fingers issue dealt with at start, what 'really' does the camera not do for you? Would anything else 'really' do the job much if any better or cheaper?

As said I think that the idea that a DSLR and battery grip will be 'easier' to handle, may be a little bit of a red-herring; and the idea that a battery grip, would help, is rather nebulous. Clue is in the name, a battery grip is there to take extra batteries so you don't have to swap them so often, when they go flat! Is that a problem you often encounter? As said the side-effect of added grip-space has to be countered with how much is the actual 'size' and how much 'buttons'... would it really 'solve' a problem or just swap the problems you have?

If you aren't getting on with the Fuji, then, yeah, little reason to stick with it. B-U-T, in the bag of issues you suggest you want to tackle, dont chuck the baby out with the bath-water!

Hi,

Wow long post.

My son is home educated , as are my other two kids. So no photo school per se but lots of time to do hobbies.

Regarding the grip and my hands, I have very big hands and when holding the Fuji part of my 3rs finger and last finger is below the end of the camera so it is awkward. I held a Nikon d7200 today and it felt a lot better so it’s definitely better for me. I’ve just sent my Fuji stuff off to be sold so will be buying something else.

Regarding the sharing of kit, I have to disagree I’m afraid. I do feel being in the same system will have lots of advantages. Sharing of lenses, learning menu system together, sharing of accessories such as filters and flashgun. Besides, in his own words “I want same as you dad” :)

Matt

I'd get your son one of the starter bodies from Nikon or Canon as there's lots of secondhand bodies/lenses around cheaply.

@FujiMatt - just a heads up, I acquired yesterday a never been used Nikon D3100 c/w 18-55 + 55-200, might be of interest for your son (I'm only just up the road from you - Northwich way). I'm not sure what I'm doing with it yet, but if I post it in the classifieds, I'll let you know.

Yeah let me know. I am on the way to pick up a D7000 with 18-105mm and 35mm f1.8 and it comes fully boxed as new with 2x 32gb memory cards and got it for £380 which I thought was a good price. Depending if you do sell and depending on the price, I may keep that for me and my son could start on the d3100

Matt

Just thought , I'm gonna have to change my username to anycameramakeMatt so I'm sorted for the future lol

Just as an example - I picked up an X-E1 and a 16-50mm zoom (separately) on this forum for about £220 total. More than adequate for a beginner and compatible with your existing kit :)

Just as an example - I picked up an X-E1 and a 16-50mm zoom (separately) on this forum for about £220 total. More than adequate for a beginner and compatible with your existing kit :)

Watch out Andy, its a rocky road to get started on down, I began a few years ago with a X-E1 and 18-55, spent a few more bob on Fuji since then.

Back