Move from Fuji? Z6 and adapted lenses - performance?

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m currently shooting Fuji (XT3, 23 1.4, 56 1.2, 10-24).

I love my Fuji kit and it’s a brand that I’ve returned to twice over the last few years.

However a lot of my shooting is in low light, often without a tripod ( abandoned buildings etc) and having had an A7iii previously I know the impact that a FF body, fast glass, and IBIS can make on these images.

I left Sony mainly because at that point i couldn’t financially justify the system for a hobby, particularly the cost of lenses.

Happily though I’m now in a better place financially and I’ve just received some back pay from work which is now burning a hole in my pocket.

If money was no object ( the back pay wasn’t THAT much) then I’d probably head to Sony again, but cost still has to be a factor.

So I’ve been eying the Z6. What appeals is being able to get relatively cheap glass to use with the adapter. I know it’ll not be a small a package as native glass, but size isn’t so much of an issue.

I could afford to switch to a Z6, and roughly equivalent focal lengths ( 35,85, 18-35) and then pick up a Z 24-70 F4 as a walkabout.

I’m interested to hear how the adapted lenses perform. I’d be aiming for Nikon F lenses, although if a Sigma Art 35 1.4 works properly with the adapter I’d be over the moon because it’s literally my favourite lens on any system ever!

My XT3 has fine AF but I know that the lenses I choose to use aren’t the fastest. Also Fuji’s eye AF is ok but not the strongest so I’m wondering how the Z6 compares. My other main subject is my kids so reliable face / eye AF is a godsend.

So if anyone has any input or thoughts I’d really appreciate hearing them.

Particularly any of you that have moved from the wonderful world of Fuji how did you find the switch ( in particular the colours....)?

Ta!

You can get sigma art for Sony e-mount too. In fact there are lots of cheaper 3rd party options these days for e-mount.
While adapting is great fun I'd never go back to doing it full time. They are fiddly and annoying at best.

Have a look at samyang lenses like the 35mm/1.8 or 35mm/1.4. there is also now sigma 85mm/1.4 natively available. There is a cheaper samyang 75mm/1.8 and Samyang 85mm/1.4. And Sony 85mm/1.8 can be had pretty cheap too.
Then there is the tamron 17-28mm/2.8 for UWA.

I know this isn't what you asked but I have no experience with adapting F-mount myself apart from the odd trials in shops and open days. So I'll let the expects comment on that.

Last edited:
The Z6 is a great camera, and works very well with adapted AF-S lenses. However, eye AF is still not the best even though it is better than it was. The only thing that lets it down compared to the Z6 and XT3 is the quality of the EVF.

I'll throw a different suggestion at you, and suggest you may reconsider the Sony A7III. Great value body and you can get good relatively cheap 3rd party native lenses. For example the Samyang 35mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8 are good relatively cheap primes, fully compatible with eye-af. There's the excellent Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 as a walkabout, or if you just want a nice light sharp (stopped down) walkabout then the Sony 28-70mm is an excellent choice, performs much better than the price suggests. Tamron do the highly regarded 17-28mm f2.8, and of course there's the Sony 16-35mm f4, however these are noticeably more expensive than the Nikon AF-S 18-35mm. If you wanted a fast prime instead though the Samyang 18mm f2.8 is excellent imo.

You can get sigma art for Sony e-mount too. In fact there are lots of cheaper 3rd party options these days for e-mount.
While adapting is great fun I'd never go back to doing it full time. They are fiddly and annoying at best.

Have a look at samyang lenses like the 35mm/1.8 or 35mm/1.4. there is also now sigma 85mm/1.4 natively available. There is a cheaper samyang 75mm/1.8 and Samyang 85mm/1.4. And Sony 85mm/1.8 can be had pretty cheap too.
Then there is the tamron 17-28mm/2.8 for UWA.

I know this isn't what you asked but I have no experience with adapting F-mount myself apart from the odd trials in shops and open days. So I'll let the expects comment on that.
Beat me to it ;)

The Z6 is a great camera, and works very well with adapted AF-S lenses. However, eye AF is still not the best even though it is better than it was. The only thing that lets it down compared to the Z6 and XT3 is the quality of the EVF.

I'll throw a different suggestion at you, and suggest you may reconsider the Sony A7III. Great value body and you can get good relatively cheap 3rd party native lenses. For example the Samyang 35mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8 are good relatively cheap primes, fully compatible with eye-af. There's the excellent Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 as a walkabout, or if you just want a nice light sharp (stopped down) walkabout then the Sony 28-70mm is an excellent choice, performs much better than the price suggests. Tamron do the highly regarded 17-28mm f2.8, and of course there's the Sony 16-35mm f4, however these are noticeably more expensive than the Nikon AF-S 18-35mm. If you wanted a fast prime instead though the Samyang 18mm f2.8 is excellent imo.

17-28 is like £100-150 more expensive than Nikon 18-35mm but wider and constant f2.8. and no need to pay for an adapter.

Forgot about the samyang 18mm/2.8. it's certainly very good. There is still one at ffordes for £199 if you want one ;)

Last edited:
17-28 is like £100-150 more expensive than Nikon 18-35mm but wider and constant f2.8. and no need to pay for an adapter.

Forgot about the samyang 18mm/2.8. it's certainly very good. There is still one at ffordes for £199 if you want one ;)
Don't need one as have the 16-35mm (y)

I moved to the Z6 after being dissatisfied with Fuji high ISO image quality (X-H1)
The Nikon was wonderful. Initially used couple adapted lenses, Siggy 85 f1..4 & 35f1.4. Performance was pretty good. But very quickly went native with Nikon 50 & 35 Z mount. I’d bought the camera with the excellent 24-70. Later added the 14-30 and 85 Z mount.
Honestly I’d still be shooting it now but after I tried a Sony and eye AF...I had to have one.
No going back. Shooting my 2 year old Granddaughter is a breeze. It’s been a game changer for me. I first had the A7iii. Now A7Riv which I moved to for the improvement in Ergonomics. I’m a committed back button focus guy.
I’ve had bagfuls of Fuji. Loved them. No axe to grind here.

Forget to mention. I mainly use the excellent Tamron zooms 17-28 & 28-75. Got a couple primes as well. The Sony 35 f1.8, Samyang 45 f1.8. Samyang 85 f1.4

Is it not worth considering the X-T4? IBIS with your 1.4 and 1.2 lenses immediately opens up a whole new world of lower ISO hand-held shooting. Sounds less expensive overall and you say you like the fuji gear...

or the X-S10 for that matter...
may be even as a second backup body instead of a replacement?

Last edited:
Is it not worth considering the X-T4? IBIS with your 1.4 and 1.2 lenses immediately opens up a whole new world of lower ISO hand-held shooting. Sounds less expensive overall and you say you like the fuji gear...

I do love the Fuji but to upgrade to the XT4 would still cost about £600 and with the looming XT3 AF update I’d end up feeling like I’ve spent £600 just for IBIS.

At least with upgrading to a Z6 or similar I’d be getting FF and IBIS, and in the case of Nikon access to (relatively) cheap glass with used adapted lenses.

The lens thing is a big part of the draw for Nikon as opposed to Sony (which if money was no object would probably be the best choice).

Essentially buying used Nikon glass I could get a 35,85, and 18-35 for around £1000.

There’s nothing really close to that available for Sony that I can see (especially when it comes to an ultrawide which is something I consider to be an essential lens).

I do love the Fuji but to upgrade to the XT4 would still cost about £600 and with the looming XT3 AF update I’d end up feeling like I’ve spent £600 just for IBIS.

At least with upgrading to a Z6 or similar I’d be getting FF and IBIS, and in the case of Nikon access to (relatively) cheap glass with used adapted lenses.

The lens thing is a big part of the draw for Nikon as opposed to Sony (which if money was no object would probably be the best choice).

Essentially buying used Nikon glass I could get a 35,85, and 18-35 for around £1000.

There’s nothing really close to that available for Sony that I can see (especially when it comes to an ultrawide which is something I consider to be an essential lens).

Don't forget to factor in cost of the adapter.

I'd say tamron 17-28mm is close to 18-35mm in fact I'd argue it's better.

You can get Sony 16-35mm f4 or tamron 17-28mm f2.8 for £600 used. Sightly more than 18-35mm but both are better options.

Cheap 35/85 options already listed above.

You could have a similar Sony setup for £1200-ish with no hassle of adapters. And if you consider the FTZ is £150-ish anyway the difference isn't much at all.

Last edited:
Well you won’t need eye Af very often in abondoned buildings.
Nikon Af-s lenses using the FTZ adapter focus justas well (and probably more accurately) as on modern DSLR’s.
The FTZ adapter can often be bought relatively cheaply as an offer with the Z6.
Nikon colours are excellent, especially in these Z cameras.
I don’t use Sigmas on the Nikon so can’t comment except to say anecdotally I’m sure I’ve read that Sigma is fine.
I‘m a joint Nikon and Fuji user.
To me the main benefit of Fuji is the size of body and primes.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Well you won’t need eye Af very often in abondoned buildings.
Nikon Af-s lenses using the FTZ adapter focus justas well (and probably more accurately) as on modern DSLR’s.
The FTZ adapter can often be bought relatively cheaply as an offer with the Z6.
Nikon colours are excellent, especially in these Z cameras.
I don’t use Sigmas on the Nikon so can’t comment except to say anecdotally I’m sure I’ve read that Sigma is fine.
I‘m a joint Nikon and Fuji user.
To me the main benefit of Fuji is the size of body and primes.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Lol no, the eye AF is for family stuff.

In terms of colour how do you find the Nikon compares?

Back