Movement inside lens

Edit My Images
Yes
While my new Canon 50mm 1.8 II is off the camera there seems to be some movement of something inside if
I turn it over in my hands. Is this a common thing in this lens or have I been sold a faulty one?

It autofocuses as per normal and photos are ok.

I had some movement on a Canon lens. Never affected results though, still got good shots. I actually saw a write up of it saying that some plastic elements may cause internal lens movement, but nothing to worry about. For piece of mind though, get it checked out, specially if its still under warranty.

I have the Canon 50mm1.4 and if you shake it, you can feel a sort of clonk as though something is moving inside the lens. From what I've been able to gather, it's pretty common to the lens, and has no effect at all on it's performance. Whilst I'm not absolutely sure, I seem, to remember the 1.8 version does, or can exhibit the same symptom.

A Google search should throw up lots of info on this. I'd say it's nothing to worry about if the lens is performing well, but if in doubt then obviously seek a professional opinion.

Back