Movie scores/soundtracks

I'm a big Hans Zimmer fan and this is one of my favourites (aside from Gladiator):

The Rock
[YOUTUBE]s-2f6Il4APQ[/YOUTUBE]

Scores:
A short film about love - Zbigniew Preisner. Since it was made in Poland when they were still under communist rule, no-one will have heard of it :p. As a score to complement the film it is genius, helped by having a superb film to complement.

Amelie - Yann Tiersen - this one makes me wish I could play the piano

Assault on precinct 13 - John Carpenter

Thief, The Keep, Near Dark, Risky Business - all Tangerine Dream
Love on a real train (Risky Business)
Beach scene (Thief)
Silver crosses / Logos part 1 finale (The Keep)

Music and film? Only one contender - the Blues Brothers. NOT to be confused with the Blues Brothers 2000.

Last of the Mohicans for me...

Manhunter, the original version of Red Dragon has a great score, even if it is from the 80's, to boot it is a great film to.(y)

This is very good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ_Mg7m-ZfY
They are touring again late this year, original remaining line up with Mike Peters from the Alarm on vocals, tickets on sale tomorrow and might go to a couple of shows

Surprised the Floyd heads haven't mentioned Crystal Voyager, some superb photography, shame about the music

Last edited:
One of my favourites from recent times............. maybe as vuvuzela owning , biltong making honorary "bok"....... :LOL:

Invictus

How do you embed a youtube clip?

Anyone got specific instruments of choice in scores?
Depends,personally I have a wide range of listening tastes but I do like the ochestral style,plenty of piano,violin,drums etc....and something with a crescendo is a bonus

Inception

[YOUTUBE]Z0kGAz6HYM8[/YOUTUBE]

Going to add 'The Book of Eli' to the list after watching it for the first time the other night
Some stunning 'cross-processed' ? type visuals too in this post-apocalyptic movie imo
[YOUTUBE]GYo1tSM2qh0[/YOUTUBE]
...and there was the added attraction of a gun toting Frances De La Tour :D

Thought I'd blow the cobwebs off this thread and add a few more ;)

[YOUTUBE]?v=E0f6X5t4Ifs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?v=6ZGNQ2v9DA4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?v=D6btu54EAm0[/YOUTUBE]

"Into The Wild," soundtrack written entirely by Eddie Vedder specifically for the film and it is absolutely amazing.

"O Brother Where Art Thou?" is another belter. I remember watching a documentary about its soundtrack on BBC4 a year or so ago, great stuff

My choice, apart from the already mentioned Gladiator, would be the soundtrack to Contact.

[YOUTUBE]V-zypUqaLME[/YOUTUBE]

I'm probably going to get abuse for this but i quite liked the soundtrack for Drive

The only ones I have in my collection:

Bullit - Lalo Schifrin
Goodfellas OST
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
The Lives of Others - particularly for "Stell dich mitten in den Regen"

Do "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help" count?

The score from The Mission, from the great Ennio Morricone.

I've lots of favourites but at the top of my list are:
The Magnificent Seven - Elmer Bernstein
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly/Once Upon a Time in the West - Ennio Morricone
Goldfinger - John Barry
The Omen - Jerry Goldsmith
2001: A Space Odyssey - various
Zulu - John Barry
Where Eagles Dare - Ron Goodwin
Bullit - Lalo Schiffrin

Man on fire
Lord of the rings
The fifth Element (one of my favorite movies - but I dont know why)
Gladiator
Shawshank Redemption

to name a few.....

Top Gun
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
From Dusk Till Dawn
Bugsy Malone (oh dear)
Love the main song from Ghost Town, but the rest is average
Sucker Punch
High Fidelity
Last of the Mohicans
Due South (possession by Sarah McLachlan piano version is amazing)

I like most of Zimmers work but the one that grabbed me the most was this from Angels and Demons, which appeared in a lighter form in The DaVinci Code.

http://youtu.be/BunG5Li8Bjc

I can play this and just lose myself in it.

Loads of other soundtracks in my collection but none get me like the one linked though the OST of A Clockwork Orange gets a regular play.

Music and film? Only one contender - the Blues Brothers. NOT to be confused with the Blues Brothers 2000.
Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton, BB King, Bo Diddly and pretty much everyone else that's bluesy and still alive, the soundtrack to Blues Brothers 2000 is pretty decent. The film itself, somewhat less so.

Bladerunner is a cracking soundtrack throughout.

If you like synthesiser based soundtracks, then Vince DiCola's soundtracks for Rocky IV and Transformers: The Movie are both excellent.

Back