Moving a Kerb Stone, legal?

ppp

Edit My Images
Yes
I want to swap to kerb stone, one is a normal height and one is the drop/angled type, and i want to swap them over so i can make my driveway a single kerb stone width wider so i can pull onto it properly without having to bump up the kerb.

Now we are redoing the drive ourselves anyway so will be digging down fairly deep, is it illegal to move the kerb stones? If not illegal could the council kick up a fuss if they found out?

Thanks

I think you will find that you have to use council approved contractors to do curb stones, I know this is the case on the IOW.

Yes, I think that is illegal and you would need to contact your local council for permission.

Technically I would say it's illegal. I assume it's on the public highway? In which case, it will be noted down on some plans somewhere, where exactly the dropped kerb is (I believe).

I think if you were to have a very competent job done, they would probably not mind.

If you wanted to change a normal kerbstone to a dropped one, to install a driveway on your property from new, then I know you have to apply for planning permission, and (I believe), only use certified contractors, to make sure the job is done properly. (It's only when you have an official dropped kerb that you are allowed to drive over it to gain access to your property IIRC).

Anyway, I'm waffling now.

Illegal : Yes
Kick up a fuss : Quite possible

Yeah, the driveway is all legit and currently has a council done dropped kerb, it is directly joined to a main road, ie no verge or pavement, and i just wanted to swap the two stones around, so prob have to have a word with them

Smash the kirb stone up when no one is around, then fall over it when someone is watching. Then sue the council for damages and then get them to replace it with the type you want. Plus you get a nice wad from the council as well. LOL.

Depends on your local highway authority. In Leicestershire you can do it your self or have a contractor do it for you, but you or the contractor will need public liability insurance (£5,000,000) and 1 person on the job or supervising will need to be Streetworks accredited. Proof of this needs to be sent to the council and they issue a permit there is no charge for this at the moment.

only have to apply for planning i you live on an A road but more than that i dont know.

Quite right Sue, if the road is classified A, B or C you will need planning permission. Although as it is an existing access it should not be a problem.

I think you can do it yourself, will need to get permission from council and they will prob insist you get some silly insurance to cover public accidents that costs more than paying the council to do it for you! (that was my experience anyway) :shrug:

Back