Moving abroad!

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been considering the big move to foreign parts over the last few years and have recently become more interested in actually doing this instead of thinking about it :) Has anyone actually made the move? if so, how did it go and what problems did you encounter?

The idea is to move to Vancouver, mainly due to the amazing location, though i'm not entirely convinced i could cope with the rain! However, i do have massive concerns about finding a job!

If i'm going to do this i need to do it soon really as now is the easiest time as i have no real ties to anywhere and no major financial commitments. My parents are also very keen on the idea, maybe because i'd be on the other side of the world, or maybe they just want a holiday home, who knows :LOL:

If anyone has any advice or just some info on your experiences then that would be great!

[user]Mindcrime[/user] is the first person springing to mind as he emigrated to Canada. I'm in the process of emigrating at the mo (somewhere in British Columbia - depends where I can get a job). If you have a profession that is needed in Canada, you can be there within 2 years, maybe sooner. If not, it can take up to 4 years. I am amidwife and am emigrating there via the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), although I have exams to sit first. I'm hoping to be there by the end of next year at the latest :)

For a country that says they need workers they really do drag out the whole process of emigrating don't they! :LOL:

Yep - but unlike this country, they only want top quality people, not all the scrag ends :LOL:

We moved to Spain a few years ago, and I am happy to answer any questiond yo umay have, though I doubt I can answer many, especially right now, as i am half p***ed and ready to go to bed...
Best advice is - Do it !

I did it.

The first bit of advice I can think of is visit the place in the off/winter season for at least a month first, rent a place, don't stay in a hotel or you'll get completely the wrong impression. While you're there ask the locals what they hate about it.

Then rent a place for at least a year before you consider buying.

It paid dividends for me.

Feel free to ask but I know nothing about Canada except you're up to your @rse in snow half the year.

Feel free to ask but I know nothing about Canada except you're up to your @rse in snow half the year.

All depends where you go. British Columbia is very temperate and has a climate not too dissimilar to the UK. More likely to be rained in than snowed in. Hotter summers and colder winters.

Mini, do you have a partner/husband going with you? My wife is a nurse and often wondered if we were to emigrate and join would they take me as well, or do I need to be doing something they want.

I moved to Canada for a year back in 2000.

I lived in Nova Scotia which is a whole different kettle of fish to BC - Vancouver has a pretty good climate - a little rainy (but look at England!!) but nice summers, great outdoor stuff to do and a really nice vibe for a city.

Nova Scotia was pretty rural and the temperatures got down to minus 26 when I was there - (plus coming face to face with a bear when you open the back door of your cabin is an interesting experience!!)

I would agree that you should get out there and rent somewhere for a while to see if you like it - don't forget that you'll be cash rich comparing the pound to the Canadian dollar (or the Northern Peso as some of my American friends call it) but not when you live there and have to pay taxes.

What skills are you hoping to transfer to Canada - maybe you can get a company to sponsor you or take you on for a short time to get the feel of the place?

Well, we started the process for emigrating to Canada back in around October 2002. We filled in the online "quiz" and originally we didn't have enough points to qualify (we failed by 2 points). We submitted the application around Feb 2003 anyway as the points system seemed to change every now and again and we thought we'd try our luck. We applied using my wife's supervisory capacity in an office. We heard nothing from the Canadians for about 9 months. Then just after they reduced the minimum points needed (we were now 6 over the minimum) we got the go ahead to go for a medical, which we had in December 2003. Then it all went quite until Valentine's Day 2004 when we finally received our Immigrant Visa's in the post. We'd done it and were about to start a new life. We left the UK on August 3rd 2004 and have never looked back.

Now, we'd never been to Canada before in our lives, the first time on Canadian soil was when we landed as Immigrants. We did think about coming over for a short while to see what living was like but just never found the time and We thought as we were still relatively young and no ties at all, that it would be a big adventure just to arrive as immigrants and learn as we went along.

3 years on and we're living a good life, no worries and it's the best thing that we've ever done. Absolutely no thoughts of ever moving back to the UK; it would be a backward step.

Mr Matt,

My partner, baby girl and my good self are moving to Kamloops (4hrs from Vancouver) in November. We have sat on it for too long and decided to go ahead with it now. Only if we decided that 2 years ago!

I would say, bite the bullet and get on with it.

King.

Mini, do you have a partner/husband going with you? My wife is a nurse and often wondered if we were to emigrate and join would they take me as well, or do I need to be doing something they want.

Yes, my other half is coming along with me too :D (although I keep threatening to leave him in the UK if he's not nice to me :LOL:). If your wife goes there as a nurse, you automatically get to go with her.

Back