Moving house, all the excitement and hassle.

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Been at our current home for about nine years, it is only a one bedroom flat. But our needs have changed, we now need a few contraptions and a few other bits and bobs. Been looking for some time now, and something suitable has come up. Going to have a look tomorrow, to see if it is suitable for our needs. Just dawning on us now, all the things that re locating involves.

If we do move one of the things we were thinking of doing, was getting our mail redirected. Prices start at £31.99, for a three month period, not too bad we thought. Following the asterisk to the small print, and it says £31.99 per surname. We have two surnames at ours, so £64 for our mail to be redirected. Just have to make sure, we tell everyone our new address.

Welcome to a long, and tiring journey! There will be stress, there will be arguments but when it's sorted and you're settled on your new sofa with a glass of wine it'll be a job well done! Good luck!

If we do move one of the things we were thinking of doing, was getting our mail redirected.
Best thing to do is keep a record of what post you get so you have a list of who to contact and change addresses for. I kept a list for six months and put a redirect in. Some things I had forgotten about but get letter once a year for.

At one place I moved out of, I left a few large pre-adressed and post paid envelopes and just asked the people we sold the house to if they'd forward any post on. Seemed to work ok but I guess it depends if you think you can trust them.

Once you realise how much you've spent on stamp duty, estate agents fees, solicitor and conveyancing fees, removal costs, decorating and furnishing the new place etc etc, £64 will be the least of your worries. ;)
Good job we are renting for the time being then ;). Can't afford to buy at the moment.
At one place I moved out of, I left a few large pre-adressed and post paid envelopes and just asked the people we sold the house to if they'd forward any post on. Seemed to work ok but I guess it depends if you think you can trust them.
We are going to ask a neighbour who we know, to collect any mail. Then pass it on to us, as we will probably see them pretty often :).

Once you realise how much you've spent on stamp duty, estate agents fees, solicitor and conveyancing fees, removal costs, decorating and furnishing the new place etc etc, £64 will be the least of your worries. ;)
After watching my parents wasting all there money on fees and taxes moving several times growing up, I just bought one big enough that I won't grow out of. I don't ever plan to move first and last.

After watching my parents wasting all there money on fees and taxes moving several times growing up, I just bought one big enough that I won't grow out of. I don't ever plan to move first and last.

We used to move every couple of years until I was in my teens. My Dad reckons hes moved over 30 times. The sta,p duty and removal cost must have run into six figures based on what he told me it cost last time round. I want to move after being in the same house for 15 years, but want to make sure the next place lasts me twenty at least.

Will be renting a two bedroom bungalow, no point trying to buy at our time of life. Not that we could afford it.

Good job we are renting for the time being then ;). Can't afford to buy at the moment.

We are going to ask a neighbour who we know, to collect any mail. Then pass it on to us, as we will probably see them pretty often :).
Good luck, we did that and they could not be arsed to even hand over to the neighbour even when neighbourt went round to ask for it and that was after they had actually suggested the idea in the first place, just rather bin it and deny ther had been any, sadly some people are just like that apparently....had covered important stuff thankfully but had a couple of semi valuable things sent to swmbo from people she had failed to update so we knew some stuff was there, signed for in one case too.
Live and learn :)

Last edited:
Good luck, we did that and they could not be arsed to even hand over to the neighbour even when neighbourt went round to ask for it and that was after they had actually suggested the idea in the first place, just rather bin it and deny ther had been any, sadly some people are just like that apparently....had covered important stuff thankfully but had a couple of semi valuable things sent to swmbo from people she had failed to update so we knew some stuff was there, signed for in one case too.
Live and learn :)
Will do our best and inform everyone of our change of address, even then things can go wrong. I did that once before, I told my bank well in advance of change of address. They still managed to send my credit card to old address, luckily new people were honest and told me.

Hope it all goes well with you. It's a stressful time.

Just be thankfull not to be dealing with conveyancing solicitors, 99.9% of the stress seemed to stem from them.

Just be thankfull not to be dealing with conveyancing solicitors, 99.9% of the stress seemed to stem from them.
I would have then titled the thread, "All the hassle and stress of buying a house" ;).

If we do move one of the things we were thinking of doing, was getting our mail redirected. Prices start at £31.99, for a three month period, not too bad we thought. Following the asterisk to the small print, and it says £31.99 per surname. We have two surnames at ours, so £64 for our mail to be redirected. Just have to make sure, we tell everyone our new address.
I find these days almost anything of any actual importance comes by email - the only thing I can think of that still comes by snail mail is my council tax bill, the rest of the stuff that comes through my letterbox is just spam so I would not pay to have all my spam redirected lol

Back