Moving house.... or not.

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

I was supposed to be moving house today. I still am. I think? I don't actually know.

The letting agent says they need to do a gas safety inspection - fine. Their guy went to the house yesterday to do it - no gas. There's one of those gascard meter things in situ.

The guy from the agency produced a new gascard which had been sent to him by NPower. He said, "no problem, I'll just stick this in".

I should point out at this point that I used to work for British Gas, providing customer service to ETM (card meter) customers. So I kinda know how the system works and the timescales involved.

He came back and said "it says 'card fail'".

Well chinny reckon. :LOL:

I went out and had a look at the gas meter. There was no emergency credit on it, and a £10.04 debt owing from the previous tenant. NPower haven't even sent anybody to reset the damn thing (if they had, there'd be £0.00 debt and £10.00 emergency credit), hence, the card won't work, therefore we have no gas, meaning the gas safety inspection guy can't test the gas appliances. Because none of that's been done, we can't move in.

Spiffing.

We now have to wait for the following chain of events to complete:

1. Agent to call NPower and arrange a meter reset. This will involve their representative sitting in an empty house either all morning, or all afternoon - the choice is theirs, waiting for the guy to come and reset the meter. From the moment they contact the gas supplier, it will take a minimum of two working days due to Service Level Agreements between the supplier and the Meter Reading Agency.

2. Once the meter has been reset, we have to wait again for the agency to send their man out to do the gas appliance safety inspection.

3. We then have to arrange another appointment for the agency to hand over the house keys to us.

We have four large items of furniture scheduled for delivery tomorrow. We've already had the phone line in the house activated, so now we're paying for line rental in a house we can't get into yet. :bang:

To say I'm ****ed is a gross understatement.

Technically, if there's no gas supply the appliances aren't a potential risk and don't need an inspection ;)

Seriously though I'm a bit surprised the agent let it get to this stage. They do this enough to know what the score is on H&S.

Best of luck anyway, hope you get it sorted out.

Toughie GfK ... change of agent called for next time and some compensation due I would say ?

Best of luck with it all though ...!

I'd be down there playing holy war and wanting to know why they haven't sorted this out before now.

I have no idea who owned my house before I bought it, but we've had the bailiffs round and alsorts. The git also lied and said the boiler had been recently serviced. British Gas came out and condemned it within weeks of us moving in, and we had a gas leak in the kitchen which the previous owner had tried to cover up...Grrrr

Yikes, not good! Especially when you've already arranged for furniture to be delivered and all. :(

Hope you can sort something out.

minimeeze said:
I have no idea who owned my house before I bought it, but we've had the bailiffs round and alsorts. The git also lied and said the boiler had been recently serviced. British Gas came out and condemned it within weeks of us moving in, and we had a gas leak in the kitchen which the previous owner had tried to cover up...Grrrr

That makes me wonder what the hell a house survey is for when you're buying a place?? :thumbsdown:

kamion said:
That makes me wonder what the hell a house survey is for when you're buying a place?? :thumbsdown:

Don't even get me started on that one...

Ahhh Lovely Aldershot - how I miss it so...

Not!!!

Update:

We were supposed to move Wednesday. Its now Saturday and the estate agents keep giving us BS excuses when we call them. They've promised to call us 8 times now and haven't actually done it.

Arkady - any chance you can get a loan of that gatling gun? I may soon need a lend of it. :annoyed: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Back